British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WembleyLion

Ben Fund Meeting - Berwick - Saturday 9 March 2013 6.30pm

It's turning out to be a bit dissapointing regarding this meeting, with the grand prix riders doing topinka's and lindgrens meetings, the ben fund should be priorty over both these meetings imo,after all it is in aid of the riders and the fans have supported this fund, if it is a case of the riders cannot be bothered to travel up for this meeting (hope i am wrong) then it is pity on them to say the least,

Hopefully the grand prix riders will take part in this event.

• Like 1

It's turning out to be a bit dissapointing regarding this meeting, with the grand prix riders doing topinka's and lindgrens meetings, the ben fund should be priorty over both these meetings imo,after all it is in aid of the riders and the fans have supported this fund, if it is a case of the riders cannot be bothered to travel up for this meeting (hope i am wrong) then it is pity on them to say the least,

Agree with you there,but Im sure the big names will be added in due course.Im sure there will be a decent crowd there anyway as its a good cause.

It's common knowledge that at least three G P riders who had originally agreed to ride in this meeting have now chosen to ride in the Tomas Topinka testimonial meeting. That's disappointing considering the proceeds from the meeting go towards injured riders and their families. Also disappointing because they would no doubt have added to the gate. But the cynic in me says that chances are they would only be using the meeting to test equipment for New Zealand and you may get better entertainment from the likes of Barker, Harris, Hall, Ashworth, Korneliussen, Worrall etc.

• Like 1

Can anyone pull off a masterstroke and get Mr. Gollob there?? I reckon he would put 2/300 on the gate would gladly pay £20 to see him go around Shielfield Park. :D

Think you'll find that some of the GP riders that have been asked cannot be arsed to travel. I thought the whole point of the Ben Fund meeting was that its the very first meeting of the season and the meeting was to be shared around the country, now the BSPA have sanctioned a testimonial for the day before the Ben Fund, thus taking the possibility of GP riders coming to Berwick but rather going to Kings Lynn the night before. I'm sure Mads will be doing both TT testimonial and the Ben Fund

• Like 1

It's not a case of the BSPA sanctioning anything. It's up to the track when the testimonial is held.

The season normally starts on the 15th of March, but that is brought forward when Easter falls in March.

Ironically, it was brought in to enable clubs to get a decent for their first meeting of the season & another over the Easter weekend. Now it seems that most clubs are delaying their starts until what happens to be Easter weekend.

Nothing against Topinka personally, but it's bloody ridiculous to have sneaked in on the night before the Ben Fund. I believe there wasn't a problem with Lindgren running on the Sunday, as Berwick can't anyway - like the GP Qualifier last year, the Ben Fund rain off date will be the Monday.

That would have provided competitive practice on Saturday & Sunday, or Sunday & Monday ahead of shipping gear to NZ. Anyone who thinks the PL boys will be looking at it as anything more than competitive practice too is deluding themselves - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Should there be a circumstance where Ben Fund proceeds are required by one of those snubbing the meeting, you can bet their hand will be out without delay.

All of which to be honest makes what little interest I have in the EL wane a bit more.

I hope the crowd & fund raising is all that it should be and all the more credit to the PL riders (& Bomber & Mads etc) for making the effort.

• Like 1

It's not a case of the BSPA sanctioning anything. It's up to the track when the testimonial is held.

The season normally starts on the 15th of March, but that is brought forward when Easter falls in March.

Ironically, it was brought in to enable clubs to get a decent for their first meeting of the season & another over the Easter weekend. Now it seems that most clubs are delaying their starts until what happens to be Easter weekend.

Nothing against Topinka personally, but it's bloody ridiculous to have sneaked in on the night before the Ben Fund. I believe there wasn't a problem with Lindgren running on the Sunday, as Berwick can't anyway - like the GP Qualifier last year, the Ben Fund rain off date will be the Monday.

That would have provided competitive practice on Saturday & Sunday, or Sunday & Monday ahead of shipping gear to NZ. Anyone who thinks the PL boys will be looking at it as anything more than competitive practice too is deluding themselves - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Should there be a circumstance where Ben Fund proceeds are required by one of those snubbing the meeting, you can bet their hand will be out without delay.

All of which to be honest makes what little interest I have in the EL wane a bit more.

I hope the crowd & fund raising is all that it should be and all the more credit to the PL riders (& Bomber & Mads etc) for making the effort.

An excellent posting, Backless, some good points made. Yes you correct the Topinka organisers should have ensured his meeting was after Ben traditionally the opener. Mr Acroyd has been quiet so far on this but I would imagine inwardly he is fuming!

It's common knowledge that at least three G P riders who had originally agreed to ride in this meeting have now chosen to ride in the Tomas Topinka testimonial meeting. That's disappointing considering the proceeds from the meeting go towards injured riders and their families. Also disappointing because they would no doubt have added to the gate. But the cynic in me says that chances are they would only be using the meeting to test equipment for New Zealand and you may get better entertainment from the likes of Barker, Harris, Hall, Ashworth, Korneliussen, Worrall etc.

Typical Chapman stunt, choosing the night before the Ben Fund to put on a money spinner for one bloke when many more benefit from the Benevolent fund which should take priority. Shame on those riders who decided not to travel up to Berwick. They should be named and shamed.

I stopped going to Kings Lynn many years ago. I refuse to put another penny in the Chapmans greedy pockets.

• Like 1

A very good point about riders who decline to support the BenFund not getting benefits.

Topinka himself has had a couple of injuries in the past few seasons -- did he get help then?

Riders who have appeared in maybe two or three past BenFund meetings can be excused, but there are big names who have managed to miss every one.

Of course its not ideal that many of the top riders,GP riders etc have chosen to do the Topinka meeting and then the Lindgren meeting,but there you have it,the decisions been made,both deserving riders but you`d think they couldve held off for a few weeks meaning that should,heaven forbid,any rider needing the Ben Fund will have that bit extra.

A very good point about riders who decline to support the BenFund not getting benefits.

Rubbish,any injured rider deserves all the help going.

Danny King added to the lineup. All the riders named so far go well round Shielfield, with King pushing Bomber all the way in the GP qualifier last year. Barker and Worrall were most impressive on recent visits. Whilst perhaps lacking the star power everyone expected, there will no doubt see some great racing. A few more names with local links such as Cook, Stead, Summers, Screen and Robson will draw crowds from neighbouring clubs, guaranteeing a good crowd.

At the end of the day, the better the crowd, the more money raised for a great cause. That's ALL that matters.

Looking at last years line up, Hougard, B Pedersen, N Pedersen, K Bjerre, Iversen, N Klindt and H Andersen

The Carlsberg danes don't travel north.

Edited by penchev

Admission prices

Adults £16

Concessions £12

Under-16s £5