British Speedway Forum

Thought Johno and Wade were great. Made what was average racing sound exciting, and 100% better than the amatuerish, repetitive and mistake ridden efforts of Pearson and Tatum.

• Like 2

too right I agree 100% all I've heard from some people is how they don't want Pearson and Tatum back for next GP but really who cares we got LIVE SGP speedway on TV just be thankful and stop moaning

Because if Mr Charisma is so shouty and annoying you end up turning your TV over and miss the Speedway, your enjoyment is spoiled. At the last last nights shouty guy seemed to have some personality, and some how made it work. Johno is always good, he seems to spot things other ex riders dont.

I loved that part of it, that's typical Aussie style for you, it's fun

You would be Brumo

that's Wade Aunger for you....when he commentated ay Claremont he gave an instant name to EVERYBODY....when my nephew was born he was called Ryan..he was 2 days old when he announced over the tannoy that "flyin Ryan" was born !!!!!.....it's an Aussie thing and i like it..

Didn't Nigel Pearson and Tatum do the world feed in Europe last season apart from Cardiff ?...i thought they did but i might be wrong...if so they may well be back which i don't mind to be honest

Not the best GP ever but then again not the worst.

Two or three good races and a few passes sprinkled throughout the meeting.

Not the best GP ever but then again not the worst.

Two or three good races and a few passes sprinkled throughout the meeting.

For me it seemed to lack the 'passion' of other GPs, but I think maybe because it was early season and away from Europe maybe? Dunno, just guessing.

• Like 1

Think this year there are 15 riders that are evenly matched, anyone could win and they could just as easily have a last.

• Like 1

I agree that it wasn't the best racing that we've seen which was probably down to the magic of Gate 1 which makes Gollob's decision to pass it up in the final a rather strange one :o

that's Wade Aunger for you....when he commentated ay Claremont he gave an instant name to EVERYBODY....when my nephew was born he was called Ryan..he was 2 days old when he announced over the tannoy that "flyin Ryan" was born !!!!!.....it's an Aussie thing and i like it..

Didn't Nigel Pearson and Tatum do the world feed in Europe last season apart from Cardiff ?...i thought they did but i might be wrong...if so they may well be back which i don't mind to be honest

Nigel and Kelvin are doing the others yea.

Thought Johno and Wade were great. Made what was average racing sound exciting, and 100% better than the amatuerish, repetitive and mistake ridden efforts of Pearson and Tatum.

To some on here,I feel they were just waiting to stick the knife into Pearson & Tatum,no matter who the commentary team were.That said I thought they did ok,even if there was a little Aussie bias,but I didnt mind that to much.Best of all was the questions to Johnno about what riders were doing in the pits or at the start.

Average GP which did come to life later on,Ward look fast early on but faded,Woffinden did fine,poor night for Holder.

Think this year there are 15 riders that are evenly matched, anyone could win and they could just as easily have a last.

THAT'S a very good point, as proved by Zagar late on. All these 15 regular guys can not only win a race but are more than capable of holding their position.

From my viewing point I didn't think it quite had the atmosphere of last year and there is no doubt that speedway is better under lights or a roof. Just a shame they couldn't start later, around 7pm, but noise restrictions prevent that.

Buckley thinks he lost about 2,000 spectators to another motorcycle event fairly close by and there is no doubt that viewing problems with the grandstand last year, although eradicated this, hit ticket sales in that area.

Even alongside the cricket the SGP received excellent local media coverage and even this afternoon Hancock, Holder and I are on a radio chat show with Kiwi legend Murray Deaker.

SKY had their own commentary team (Pearson and Tatum) at Cardiff last year while Fletcher and Staechmann provided the world feed, as they did for the SWC. Sky took the world feed (Pearson and Tatum or Staechmann) at all other events after the NZ opener.

Really enjoyed it, the racing wasn't the best however for the first proper meeting of the year it was good. The HD picture was excellent and the commentary team were a welcome change (in that they were an alternative to week in/week out of Perason/Tatum, nothing more).

I hope that the event was a success and that it continues in NZ as it increases the chances of a possible round in Aus (and worth a single trip over).

Finally, a big thanks to Phil Rising & Flagrag for thier informed opinions during the close season.

INCIDENTALLY, the theory about why the inside gates were so better, despite some extensive work before the start, is that the track is angled quite sharply from the outside to the inside. Water on the track, and there was quite heavy overnight rain, naturally seeps down to the lowest point (gate 1) and away from the highest (gate 4).

And, of course, the racing line down the home straight took the riders over the outside gates, packing down the surface still further.

Maybe one day someone will come up with an artificial, retractable, starting grid that would be the same from 1 to 4.

NOTHING to do with rights, they don't exist as far as race grid is concerned. It was, I believe, an editorial decision and probably influenced by limited space even in a 128-page edition. Will discuss with Richard Clark when I get back.

I have often wondered whether it was something people wanted or not, especially since the actual draw isn't made until after we go to press and so cannot include riders' names in their racing order. Looks like you do.

Must be honest and say I always used the stars race programme so was surprised it wasn't in this weeks issue, although I accept lack of space was at a premium.

Just seen this and it was dire I turned it off half way through paint and dry springs to mind.

What about the Elite League? Is that on Channel 4 now?

All meetings except when Poole are racing.

Their meetings will be on the Adult Channel , where all the t!ts can be seen.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 5