British Speedway Forum

THE original plan was for a GP in either Australia or the USA immediately before or after the one in New Zealand. Obviously this would have enabled the huge cost of transporting riders and equipment halfway round the world to be shared between two or even three events.

Various venues in Australia were looked at but none were suitable and since then only the Ethiad in Melbourne has come forward but it is only available in late October/November.

Efforts to find a suitable venue in California or Florida (Daytona) also failed to materialise. The Home Depot stadium in LA (now re-named I believe) was far too expensive and the Veterans Stadium in Long Beach, which hosted World Team Cup Finals in 1985 and 1988, simply wasn't interested in even renting their facility.

Logistically a GP in LA the week after NZ would be perfect ... there are direct 12 hour flights between the two cities and it would then only require a further flight back to Europe. But despite the best efforts of BSI and, indeed, Monster Energy (based in California) the various hurdles remain.

Aren't any of the USA tracks where they stage the BIG money 'World of Outlaws' sprint car races suitable? These tracks are probably similar to what Western Springs is like? However, I am fairly certain the WoO races are mainly staged well away from California and the west coast which could be a problem.

THE original plan was for a GP in either Australia or the USA immediately before or after the one in New Zealand. Obviously this would have enabled the huge cost of transporting riders and equipment halfway round the world to be shared between two or even three events.

Various venues in Australia were looked at but none were suitable and since then only the Ethiad in Melbourne has come forward but it is only available in late October/November.

Efforts to find a suitable venue in California or Florida (Daytona) also failed to materialise. The Home Depot stadium in LA (now re-named I believe) was far too expensive and the Veterans Stadium in Long Beach, which hosted World Team Cup Finals in 1985 and 1988, simply wasn't interested in even renting their facility.

Logistically a GP in LA the week after NZ would be perfect ... there are direct 12 hour flights between the two cities and it would then only require a further flight back to Europe. But despite the best efforts of BSI and, indeed, Monster Energy (based in California) the various hurdles remain.

Biggest hurdle is always finding a 'fall guy' who will foot the bill and then absorb the inevitable losses while BSI speed off back to Blighty (someone like the much maligned Bill Buckley).Surely Monster Energy should step up to the plate to make a GP in their native US happen.

Biggest hurdle is always finding a 'fall guy' who will foot the bill and then absorb the inevitable losses while BSI speed off back to Blighty (someone like the much maligned Bill Buckley).Surely Monster Energy should step up to the plate to make a GP in their native US happen.

Why should Monster Energy "oblige" for a USA GP if the happenings you claim will occur?

Edited by Guest

Oz appears big on ideas, and how things should be done, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, doesn't actually rank anywhere when it comes to running structured speedway, GP's, Leagues, International Events all seem to be missing.

I believe it is because the Warders/Guards don't allow it. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :blink:

What about every stadium the AMA supercross races are run in ? Many to choose from and all use to motorsport. How about the citrus bowl in florida or even Daytona, Sam Boyd in vagas. Vast amount of staduims to choose from just seems to me BSI wont gamble there own money and take a risk.

Thought some years back we were being told there would be a mini tour outside of Europe with Gps in one or two Asian countries as well as Aus/NZ + USA?This was at the time when Malaysia was going to be the next big thing in the sport and it was likely to spread to other neighbouring countries as well.......Never mind.Like Humphrey say's,if they can host a GP in that Riga(mortis) stadium then Argentina still has a chance :D

• Like 1

Why on earth did the FIM/BSI/local organisers pick the same date, or at least not move the date once the Rolling Stones were known to be playing?

i'm sure if it was possible, Bill would have done so, given that the Stones have historically played at Western Springs when they have visited NZ. Its likely to be a double hit for Bill, the lost revenue from a Stones concert at the Springs allied with potential decrease in attendance at the speedway.

I'd guess the Welsh government sees the ~4 pound per spectator subsidy it pays BSI to stage the GP in Cardiff as being worthwhile in bringing business into the Welsh capital (and they may be right), but Cardiff is effectively a regional city that otherwise wouldn't be at the forefront of most peoples' minds in planning a visit. Cardiff is also promoted by BSI so presumably all the gate and programme money accrues to them.

By contrast, neither Auckland City Council nor the NZ government/tourist board seems to see speedway as being worthy of subsidy, so any local promoter has the double whammy of transport costs and staging fees to take into account.

It isn't just about whether speedway fans might go to the Stones concert. All media attention will be on the Stones in the lead-up, and I'd think the chances of speedway getting much in the way of publicity will be virtually zero.

its frankly ludicrous that auckland council and/or Tourism NZ aren't giving some backing to the event. if they each fronted 4 quid (thats $8) per head, that would be approximately $400k less (even assuming the reduced attendance figures being bandies around) that Bill would have lost over the last two seasons, and may be far more palatable for him. For the government bodies, i'm sure that would be far less than is brought in by visitors to the event.

with respect, i can't see the Stones interfering too much with publicity for the GP, the Stones ill likely be amongst the lead story in print and tv, Speedway has got decent coverage in the spiorts sections of both mediums in the lead up to events, that should continue. The only area it may impact is radio coverage, where more focus may be given promoting the stones than the speedway.

Aside from the now suggested problems (are there really any?) in regard to the NZ GP, Western Springs looks (as it has done for many years) a hotbed of activity for motor sport.

http://www.springsspeedway.com/

i think the fact that the guy fronting the event has lost a milluion bucks suggests the problem is very real, and i'd say at very best a 50/50 proposiation of the GP series being continued in NZ. Yes, estern Springs continues to host a number of non-bike speedway events, though presuure from the NIMBYs and a non motor sport friendly local government means the number of nights speeway can run at the Springs has been very much restricted.

i'm sure if it was possible, Bill would have done so, given that the Stones have historically played at Western Springs when they have visited NZ. Its likely to be a double hit for Bill, the lost revenue from a Stones concert at the Springs allied with potential decrease in attendance at the speedway.

its frankly ludicrous that auckland council and/or Tourism NZ aren't giving some backing to the event. if they each fronted 4 quid (thats $8) per head, that would be approximately $400k less (even assuming the reduced attendance figures being bandies around) that Bill would have lost over the last two seasons, and may be far more palatable for him. For the government bodies, i'm sure that would be far less than is brought in by visitors to the event.

with respect, i can't see the Stones interfering too much with publicity for the GP, the Stones ill likely be amongst the lead story in print and tv, Speedway has got decent coverage in the spiorts sections of both mediums in the lead up to events, that should continue. The only area it may impact is radio coverage, where more focus may be given promoting the stones than the speedway.

i think the fact that the guy fronting the event has lost a milluion bucks suggests the problem is very real, and i'd say at very best a 50/50 proposiation of the GP series being continued in NZ. Yes, estern Springs continues to host a number of non-bike speedway events, though presuure from the NIMBYs and a non motor sport friendly local government means the number of nights speeway can run at the Springs has been very much restricted.

A fool and their money are soon parted. Garden and all that :D

WORLD Champion Tai Woffinden on his way from Perth (Australia) to Auckland to take part in some pre Grand Prix publicity events. Might not sound or look very far but near seven hour flight and across three time zones.

Just enough example of how hard Tai is prepared to work as speedway's premier ambassador right now.

• Like 3

WORLD Champion Tai Woffinden on his way from Perth (Australia) to Auckland to take part in some pre Grand Prix publicity events. Might not sound or look very far but near seven hour flight and across three time zones.

Just enough example of how hard Tai is prepared to work as speedway's premier ambassador right now.

He has been just brilliant. From wildcard to being totally focused. He has done everything right, and it looks like that continues. I get annoyed at the anti tattoo brigade, which has nothing to do with his performance. I want to judge him on both his on track ability, and his off track manner, which he handles so well, with enthusiasm and commitment. He has been faultless.

• Like 3

FANTASTIC (can say this because I wasn't involved) features on Tai in this week's Speedway Star... anyone who still isn't a fan will be after reading them

Bunyan is the wildcard again. Track reserves will be selected after the NZ championships next month :)

Bunyan being picked is a not funny joke.

Track reserves should at least be able to be competitive in the 5 heat races. This is the World Championship not a benefit meeting for long service.

WOULDN'T disagree but Buckley sees great value in having a 'local' man on site NOW and readily available for publicity, promotional events running up to April 5th. It's his call. Jason may not cut the mustard on the track but he is very articulate and media savvy off it. Not ideal but not the end of the world either.

WOULDN'T disagree but Buckley sees great value in having a 'local' man on site NOW and readily available for publicity, promotional events running up to April 5th. It's his call. Jason may not cut the mustard on the track but he is very articulate and media savvy off it. Not ideal but not the end of the world either.

You forgot to point out that MNZ, FIM and BSI all have to approve any nomination. Nice to point out the articulate and media savvy bit, something that is all too important in modern corporate based sport.