British Speedway Forum
THE DEAN MACHINE

The Start Of The Decline

I have a very different approach to Speedway's decline. I honestly feel it has nothing (maybe a little bit) to do with rules, regulations, admissions costs etc.

I personally think it's more to do with the supporters expectations of the sport. As time moves on there's more & more other things to do but speedway has remained the same concept. Most tracks still churn out 50's, 60's, 70's music, no pre meeting entertainment, to much hanging around between heats etc. These to me are the main reasons for speedways decline rather than equipment, rules etc

• Like 3

I have a very different approach to Speedway's decline. I honestly feel it has nothing (maybe a little bit) to do with rules, regulations, admissions costs etc.

I personally think it's more to do with the supporters expectations of the sport. As time moves on there's more & more other things to do but speedway has remained the same concept.

Yes, as I've said before, there was a time or times in the past when the 'Night at the Speedway' just 'fitted' into people's lifestyles and entertainment expectations. I don't think there was anything Speedway actively did to make that 'fit' and equally I don't think that there is anything specifically that it has done to break it.

The product that the sport offers today is just getting further and further away from what the overwhelming majority of the public will ever want for a night out. On the whole he sport is standing pretty still whilst they are just disappearing into the distance.

This topic started as a discussion about 'The Start' of the decline, though.

It is interesting to see that different people have such different opinions on just WHEN the current decline actually did start.

We have assessments that seem to range from the mid-seventies for those who blame 4valves to the later nineties and beyond for those who make Sky and the most bizarre rules of recent times to be most at fault.

I wonder just where the starting point actually is.

My own feeling is sometime in the early to mid eighties. Up until then things felt to be fairly consistent. Since then there does seem to have been a general downward slide, not every year as some have offered hope of stabilisation. But there has never been a revival in that time, has there?

A lot of things did change in that early eighties period but I don't think here was one internal or external cause, it was just the starting point.

Do you know, it could just have been the switch from bobble hats to baseball caps all along!

Edited by Grand Central

Basically all sports are forms of entertainment.

Irrespective of 2 or 4 valves, laydowns or uprights, racing is racing.

From the late 20s through to now, every decade it has been reported that speedway is in decline or dying.

But it is still here irrespective of the format.

Personally the main problem at the present is the presentation and continuity of the meetings. Many new people who are introduced to the sport dont care about the silly rules, but are intoxicated by the sight of 4 riders displaying fearless skills to win races.

Last year on several occasions I introduced first timers to the sport and goodness me they still go. But as they began to grasp the silly rules and time delays between racers their disillusion became apparent, but the spectacle of the racing presently maintains their interest that they still go.............but for how long?

I don’t think forums help very much either, instead of spreading doom, gloom and despondency to the person standing next to you on the terraces, you can join a forum with all the other whingers and moaners in the world and help drag the sport down even quicker.

• Like 5

Maggie thatchers fault, not moving with the times, failure to work hard at promoting the sport. winning teams have to break up this makes the sport look extremely stupid i have tried explaning this to friends and they dont understand why it has to happen imo this would make the season more exiting when the reining champs come to defend there crown at your track

Speedway will always have potential to thrive but it needs to be marketed correctly and maybe get away from racing at home every week as it is costly now for people who go as a family and that is what is killing speedway, other reasons like the double points rule is another valid one this is not a cheap tv game show it is a serious sport and needs to be treated like one by its own promoters and then you have length of meetings to sort out and sometimes it can't be helped due to injury or fence getting cleaned up but two hours plus to run 15 minutes of speedway is a joke,

I have saved my main point for last though and it touches on what an earlier user posted, rivalries ! we all loved Sheffield v Hull and the visit of Paul Thorp the meeting could be dire to watch but banter between fans and riders was brilliant, then battles with Isle Of Wight in 2002 and Danny Bird it was great entertainment and there is a severe lack of that now and would be great to get back to them days.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 1

Speedway will always have potential to thrive but it needs to be marketed correctly and maybe get away from racing at home every week as it is costly now for people who go as a family and that is what is killing speedway, other reasons like the double points rule is another valid one this is not a cheap tv game show it is a serious sport and needs to be treated like one by its own promoters and then you have length of meetings to sort out and sometimes it can't be helped due to injury or fence getting cleaned up but two hours plus to run 15 minutes of speedway is a joke,

I have saved my main point for last though and it touches on what an earlier user posted, rivalries ! we all loved Sheffield v Hull and the visit of Paul Thorp the meeting could be dire to watch but banter between fans and riders was brilliant, then battles with Isle Of Wight in 2002 and Danny Bird it was great entertainment and there is a severe lack of that now and would be great to get back to them days.

Goodness, the 'good old days' are now being seen as recent as 2002 .... That makes me feel ancient!

Surely the modern-day decline has it's origins further back than that.

Goodness, the 'good old days' are now being seen as recent as 2002 .... That makes me feel ancient!

Surely the modern-day decline has it's origins further back than that.

This just adds to the point that the decline is more down to us than the sport itself. As newbies the sport has the wow factor but the longer someone hangs around turning up becomes a chore & they end up lost to the sport. We start to expect more for our money even if the price remains the same year on year.

If you've been going to speedway for 50 years, 2002 is the same as today. 50 years ago was way better.

If you've been going to speedway for 20 years, 2002 you may have seen as the decline because it's nothing more then your own perception.

If 2002 you first went to speedway those first 2-3 years where the best ever, why is that. Correct, no expectation.

Is there a decline in speedway itself or a decline in attendances because there's so much to do now without even leaving the house.

'

• Like 2

I would add to this already very long and relevant list such things as :-

Video, DVD, loads of sport on TV (Sky etc), sport in pubs (open all day), the internet, social media sites etc..

Add to that the cost and a complete lack of decent PR - when I first went, speedway, football and the cinema were all roughly the same price but football continues to go from strength to strength - in the same vein you rarely see kids playing football/cricket outside these days and that's what I used to do - day in day out as a youngster..

Having said all that, with the BBC having no sport whatsoever, surely it should be a challenge to the powers that be, to go out and entice the BBC to make Speedway a relevant sport again as much for their own benefit - in the 70's I believe Speedway was the 2nd biggest spectator sport in the country..

Something else is that promoters do not know how to promote.............with a few exceptions they don't get out in the community and do what they are supposed to be doing and just expect the crowds to flock in............Get themselves out in to the schools and other organisations where they are likely to start building a fan base..........when my daughter was about 10 they had Leigh Adams, Mark Loram and Emil Lindqvist visit the school and talk to them about speedway and let them look at and sit on the bikes............Why can't promoters see what opportunities there are out there to promote themselves............luckily here we have very good press coverage............including radio and TV...........

That and the current financial climate which leaves many of us in a position where we cannot afford to go every week meaning that crowds are down................incentives like lower admission fees or not charging for the programme or lower costing food and drink on site could try and bring the crowds back...............

Will the crowds increase if we lose Sky coverage????????? Will armchair fans want the real deal???????? Who knows but we need to do something before our beloved sport dies in front of our eyes............

RP

The one big factor is simply the economy people no longer have the amount of money to go especially familys & its surposed to be a family sport the money just is'nt there cost of living keeps going up but not wages so people are having less & less to spend which results in lower crowds henc the price goes up to make up the difference which will only result in less people going & so on, the only ones making all the money is the very top riders & the manufactures of engines & parts & that is what has to change the sport is just to expensive for riders co's there is no money out there , I think you will see more riders retire because its to expensive, & I think this will not be solved unless bikes are standardized that will bring cost down riders won't ask for as much & admissions would not be so high , SIMPLE realy. Then on top of that you have bspa & FIM evry year introducing some gadget for the bikes which is more expense so there not helping, well that's my opinion what do you all think.

Speedway's dwindling support is caused by many factors. The main one, in my opinion, is that people are dieing etc, or getting sick of the sport quicker than new people are being attracted to it. Perhaps speedway fans should insist to their loved ones that when they die, their funerals should be staged at a speedway match at their beloved club. Result would see an increase in crowds, no doubt about that, but, alas, like many of the most recent speedway matches I attended, it'd still be like attending a funeral or a wake.

when sky started to show it and people became armchair fans and put people off when pinky and perky started to host it

Utter nonsense.

In my opinion SKY's coverage has brought people back to the sport and also introduced newcomers. I wonder what sort of state the sport would be in now without the last ten years of coverage.

• Like 5

Utter nonsense.

In my opinion SKY's coverage has brought people back to the sport and also introduced newcomers. I wonder what sort of state the sport would be in now without the last ten years of coverage.

Like most of the posts on this type of thread. People simply list there own little dislikes, however trivial, and declare it the reason the sport is in the mire. Surprised Ian hasn't been on yet blaming it all on the tactical ride

Edited by oldace
  • Like 2