British Speedway Forum
THE DEAN MACHINE

The Start Of The Decline

Its difficult to know exactly when the decline actually started but we have seen a gradual change over many years now. Speaking recently to Mike Lee we talk about the differences from the time he was racing to that of today, and he pointed out the many changes that had happened and the effects of the sport itself. I said people will always have a perception of what was best, but in reality now is completely different sport. Years ago the bikes were more equal to each other and a bigger advantage was created by the riding ability. Now speed is everything, and everyone is trying to attain more power from the bike. The shale on the tracks were different and the tyres also. Regulations have changed and tread cutting is now not allowed. The laydowns have lowered the centre of gravity and bikes can be ridden faster. Throttle control is something of the past. So in conclusion, when comparing different eras is not possible to get an accurate assessment of the actual racing abilities. The only comparison that is worth noting is that the sport of the early eras was more affordable and hence, we had far more people able to try their hand. So when people refer to the 'Good ole days', they are obviously referring to the affordability of the sport and the numbers that attended, not necessary the actual racing side.

Surely almost the exact time Lee came into the sport was also the time this "bikes were more equal" was going out of the window.Neil Street and then Weslake 4 valve and it just went on from there......

• Like 1

Thats great 'beefy that you still enjoy it, i still do but not as much though as the old days.I go have a look in the pits and still get a buzz like years ago see say see a young Ritchens go round and think hope the lad does well makes it.Off the subject 'beefy do you think say half the fixtures a 10 pound admission fee is financially viable? i am saying this because to go to footy and speedway is expensive!what do you think?

Probably not viable sidders, unfortunately. Could afford to go to both in the 60s/70s on a Saturday(used to climb in at The Abbey sometimes). the prices have gone up faster than inflation. Dont know how families can afford to go to footy and speedway thesedays.

The Robins need that new stadium, facilities so outdated, with poor obstructed views from those grassbanks, and those dreaded back-straight bogs.

Surely almost the exact time Lee came into the sport was also the time this "bikes were more equal" was going out of the window.Neil Street and then Weslake 4 valve and it just went on from there......

I believe you are missing the point that I wanted to make, in the fact that racing now is so different from what it use to be. But you comment about the introduction of the 4-valve, I think you'll find that happened before Lee burst on the scene. The time that Mike was referring too, was , when The Street machine, Weslake, Jawa were all on the case, but the development was somewhat similar. Mike was fortunate in that his bikes were always fast, but that was down to the knowledge, expertise and experience initially given by his father.

Its difficult to know exactly when the decline actually started but we have seen a gradual change over many years now. Speaking recently to Mike Lee we talk about the differences from the time he was racing to that of today, and he pointed out the many changes that had happened and the effects of the sport itself. I said people will always have a perception of what was best, but in reality now is completely different sport. Years ago the bikes were more equal to each other and a bigger advantage was created by the riding ability. Now speed is everything, and everyone is trying to attain more power from the bike. The shale on the tracks were different and the tyres also. Regulations have changed and tread cutting is now not allowed. The laydowns have lowered the centre of gravity and bikes can be ridden faster. Throttle control is something of the past. So in conclusion, when comparing different eras is not possible to get an accurate assessment of the actual racing abilities. The only comparison that is worth noting is that the sport of the early eras was more affordable and hence, we had far more people able to try their hand. So when people refer to the 'Good ole days', they are obviously referring to the affordability of the sport and the numbers that attended, not necessary the actual racing side.

They saying the same thing about cost's in 1968 on page 24 http://content.yudu....13?refid=130161 and I doubt that Mauger & Olsen's 2 valve Jawa's were the same as the rest.

Edited by pinto
  • Like 1

Probably not viable sidders, unfortunately. Could afford to go to both in the 60s/70s on a Saturday(used to climb in at The Abbey sometimes). the prices have gone up faster than inflation. Dont know how families can afford to go to footy and speedway thesedays.

The Robins need that new stadium, facilities so outdated, with poor obstructed views from those grassbanks, and those dreaded back-straight bogs.

Those laughable toilets(scary Big time)! i love watching the Robins on any bend also the starting gate.But you are right maybe get new facilities move on progression which would be brilliant.When i first went to the Abbey there was a cheap and dear side after heat 8 you get through to the dear side oh that was great you were in your Eliment!!

I believe you are missing the point that I wanted to make, in the fact that racing now is so different from what it use to be. But you comment about the introduction of the 4-valve, I think you'll find that happened before Lee burst on the scene. The time that Mike was referring too, was , when The Street machine, Weslake, Jawa were all on the case, but the development was somewhat similar. Mike was fortunate in that his bikes were always fast, but that was down to the knowledge, expertise and experience initially given by his father.

Great post Andy Lee was brilliant for his son, a great partnership Lee at his best was a great.At Lynn how many maximums did he get a lot! But funny anough for Poole for a couple of seasons is certainly the quickest rider I've ever seen.Won the pride of the east after Norden 83 destroyed my hero P.Crump in the helmet and beat Carter 4.0 over 2 legs and Carter i believe was a star Lee was a mega talent one or two of them come along every 50 years.

They saying the same thing about cost's in 1968 on page 24 http://content.yudu....13?refid=130161 and I doubt that Mauger & Olsen's 2 valve Jawa's were the same as the rest.

I believe you are missing my point also. Of cause Mauger and Olsen's bikes were different from the rest, they were WORKS riders and enjoyed preferential treatment. But the majority of riders were riding similar machinery and the riding ability was more to the fore then. I've read the article from the old SS about the racing in the mid 60's and understand what they saying, but speedway was far more affordable then, be it as a rider or spectator. We use to have 50 meetings a year, all of them well attended with star names , now we're lucky to get a dozen, and some of them will have riders missing. I will agree the racing today is of a higher standard, but the status of the sport has all but disappeared.

The grass banks were pretty useful for me Keefers. Used to meet up with a girl from Chippenham every Saturday night. They came in handy then!

Saturday night racing, the old 13 heat format, and the tactical ride after being six points down....the good old days!

The back straight bogs remain exactly the same as they were in the 70's....I took a friend to a meeting last season and had a couple of beers whilst waiting for the match to start. He went off to use the infamous toilets and i warned him about their reputation. Minutes later he returned covered in mud!! I asked him what had happened and he said he had fallen down the grass bank next to the toilets.....how i laughed...Didn't put him off too much though..he is a new fan!

• Like 1

Lack of contiunity does not help, youngsters like to have hero/idols to follow, and the rules as at the moment mean that your hero one year is with another team the next, so many I think cant be bothered. We used to stay and watch "the second half", to see if any of the up and coming riders were getting good enough to be put into the team next year, long gone. I also used to go to Exeter, and Swindon at least two times each per season, plus others as was, I cant afford to do that now the price of fuel alone is too much, but at least the Robins are still perched.Know what you mean ER we used to call they toilets at Poole "the crowd of flies"

Edited by hrhbig

I doubt that Mauger & Olsen's 2 valve Jawa's were the same as the rest.

Apparently the first 2v Jawa's were like the JAP's. As long as you made your usual 15 overtaking moves during the meeting you could chuck the bike in the shed (no posh workshop's in them days tha knows) with your black leathers and they would clean and prepare each other for the next meeting.

The grass banks were pretty useful for me Keefers. Used to meet up with a girl from Chippenham every Saturday night. They came in handy then!

Saturday night racing, the old 13 heat format, and the tactical ride after being six points down....the good old days!

The back straight bogs remain exactly the same as they were in the 70's....I took a friend to a meeting last season and had a couple of beers whilst waiting for the match to start. He went off to use the infamous toilets and i warned him about their reputation. Minutes later he returned covered in mud!! I asked him what had happened and he said he had fallen down the grass bank next to the toilets.....how i laughed...Didn't put him off too much though..he is a new fan!

Remember gang of us teens in the early 70s used to get the green Bristol bus special from Cavi Square on the Parks, spent half the meeting pushing each other down those banks after climbing in. I recall at the GB_Sweden test in 68 there were more in the climbing queue than paying at the turnstiles!Dont remember seeing a half-naked couple canoodling though on those grassy knolls though. You could make money collecting empty pop bottles. Couldnt believe how many people were there on my first visit in 68, bigger crowds than what I was used to at the London tracks.

Apparently the first 2v Jawa's were like the JAP's. As long as you made your usual 15 overtaking moves during the meeting you could chuck the bike in the shed (no posh workshop's in them days tha knows) with your black leathers and they would clean and prepare each other for the next meeting.

I understand though that some devious riders would use an oily rag occasionally on the bike.

Remember gang of us teens in the early 70s used to get the green Bristol bus special from Cavi Square on the Parks, spent half the meeting pushing each other down those banks after climbing in. I recall at the GB_Sweden test in 68 there were more in the climbing queue than paying at the turnstiles!Dont remember seeing a half-naked couple canoodling though on those grassy knolls though. You could make money collecting empty pop bottles. Couldnt believe how many people were there on my first visit in 68, bigger crowds than what I was used to at the London tracks.

My first season was 72 Keef. The Briggs, Ashby, Keen Hitch, Munday, Broadbank side. I recall a second halfer called Clark Facey!

My first season was 72 Keef. The Briggs, Ashby, Keen Hitch, Munday, Broadbank side. I recall a second halfer called Clark Facey!

Can remember Facey...then I had a 30 year break from the sport. not returning till 2004. Just as keen now as when I was at school.