British Speedway Forum
Hunty

Uk Speedway Series

Easy way round this is to call it " UK DIRT TRACK CHAMPIONSHIP " or as Kelvin Tatum would say UK MATERIAL TRACK CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Certainly, and use 'motorcycles' as opposed to speedway bikes.

Edited by Noodles

Less than 3 months to go til the first round, and only 6 out of the 16 riders signed up and 2 out of the 6 tracks committed, and the 2 which are mentioned are not renown for their great quality of racing. And now the SCB have issued stern warnings to all concerned resulting that at a minimum, it can't be called "speedway" either.

'scuse me for not being inspired.

Had never heard of it until i saw the BSPA statement today.

Seems to me this is going to be squashed before it has even got off the ground.

I guess even a good idea has to toe the line.

I guess again that this was launched without the proper authority.

I still don't quite know what to make of the whole thing anyway at this stage.

Less than 3 months to go til the first round, and only 6 out of the 16 riders signed up and 2 out of the 6 tracks committed,

Isn't that quite good for speedway in general? Will we run won't we just weeks before tapes go up is the norm?

Edited by Deano

Provincial League - here we come. :o :o :wink: :wink: :blink:

Less than 3 months to go til the first round, and only 6 out of the 16 riders signed up and 2 out of the 6 tracks committed, and the 2 which are mentioned are not renown for their great quality of racing. And now the SCB have issued stern warnings to all concerned resulting that at a minimum, it can't be called "speedway" either.

'scuse me for not being inspired.

2 of 6 tracks announced

6 of 12 riders announced, with 4 wildcards in each round.

As its primarily aimed at Brits & British based riders it obviously isn't aimed at you anyway.

Another nail in coffin for British Speedway, scb are a joke! Why turn down a chance for riders to earn extra money in a season in what could have been a great series.

Another nail in coffin for British Speedway, scb are a joke! Why turn down a chance for riders to earn extra money in a season in what could have been a great series.

Because it's not money going into a BSPA franchise. It'll be substitutional money out of the BSPA and into another.

It tends to be the same for supporters collecting subs for raffles etc, it has to be additional money and not money that would otherwise be used to gain enterance into another meeting.

As fans, why don't just go along and support it? It'll be one in the eye for SCB and a bit of fans power!

Because we can't even if we wanted to.

Edited by Deano

Only thing that surprises me is that it's taken the SCB so long to make this statement.

At least now this ill-thought out idea should disappear, and we won't be running the risk of a rider getting hurt only to find out that neither he nor the amateur 'promoters' were properly insured.

Motor sports are very dangerous, and as such insurance and other such legal health & safety matters don't come cheap. The BSPA have to pay tens of thousands to the SCB every year in track licences, promoters licences, officials licences etc which are used to cover the legal and insurance obligations.

Did this new bunch of chancers expect to be given everything free by the SCB? Did they think they could leech of the BSPAs fees? Or were they planning on running illegally with no public liability or employers liability insurance and no insurance for the riders?

I'm sure the SCB would be willing to licence an alternative set-up to the BSPA, as long as they paid the same fees as the BSPA do (£100,000+ ?)

I suspect however that paying £100k or so in fees would be a bit prohibitive to someone who only intended running half a dozen PL standard mickey mouse open meetings.

If these meetings ever get off the ground, I'm contemplating hiring Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and co and putting on some GB v Rest of the World Football test matches at 6 championship gorunds.

I'm sure the FA will let me have everything for free and won't charge me the kind of fees that the Football Leagues have to pay.

Edited by John Leslie
  • Like 3

If only the MOtor Cycle Federation had any experience of organising motorcycle events they'd know it was dangerous. I bet they're glad it's been brought to their attention.

• Like 2

Only thing that surprises me is that it's taken the SCB so long to make this statement.

At least now this ill-thought out idea should disappear, and we won't be running the risk of a rider getting hurt only to find out that neither he nor the amateur 'promoters' were properly insured.

Motor sports are very dangerous, and as such insurance and other such legal health & safety matters don't come cheap. The BSPA have to pay tens of thousands to the SCB every year in track licences, promoters licences, officials licences etc which are used to cover the legal and insurance obligations.

So do you think the people who organise shorttrack/dirttrack events (on speedway tracks, featuring speedway riders) do not have the proper licences, insurance and legal cover?

Plenty of one-off meetings are arranged, why can;t someone put together six meetings and call it a "series"?

Plenty of one-off meetings are arranged,

I don't think any one-off meetings are arranged are they? I've certainly only ever been to BSPA meetings in this country. Not aware of anyone else organising any

why can;t someone put together six meetings and call it a "series"?

They could as long as it was all licensed and insured, but if you look at how much the BSPA have to pay to the SCB for their meetings I think it would be far too much to spread over just 6 meetings.

The BSPA have to pay tens of thousands to the SCB every year in track licences, promoters licences, officials licences etc which are used to cover the legal and insurance obligations.

They are the same thing.... why would they pay themselves?