British Speedway Forum
michaelcroucher

Speedway On Eurosport

HAPPY to report that Eurosport are delighted to have Nigel and Kelvin on board and very impressed with the pair. Their commentary of Heat 22 in Bydgoszcz was brilliant ... "Speedway from the gods" ... "Obscene speedway" ... "I'm going to have a lie down in a dark room."

I actually spent some time yesterday watching the highlights show being put together when they both have to redo their commentary from a sound booth, tailoring their words to a specific time frame measured in seconds. And then adding other comments before and after races, again measured in seconds. They are both brilliant at it and work superbly in tandem.

In the TV industry their rankings are very high so sorry Andy and the rest of the usual suspects... they ain't going anyway.

And plenty of free advertising for your magazine of course...

HAPPY to report that Eurosport are delighted to have Nigel and Kelvin on board and very impressed with the pair. Their commentary of Heat 22 in Bydgoszcz was brilliant ... "Speedway from the gods" ... "Obscene speedway" ... "I'm going to have a lie down in a dark room."

I actually spent some time yesterday watching the highlights show being put together when they both have to redo their commentary from a sound booth, tailoring their words to a specific time frame measured in seconds. And then adding other comments before and after races, again measured in seconds. They are both brilliant at it and work superbly in tandem.

In the TV industry their rankings are very high so sorry Andy and the rest of the usual suspects... they ain't going anyway.

Everybody have there view, and i don't dislike either of them but i must say i did prefer the N.Z commentary.As for the heat 22 and the meeting the speedway spoke for itself so those comments didn't make it any better.

And plenty of free advertising for your magazine of course...

'Sigh'!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The fact that the Commentators are mentioning 'Speedway Star' is a plus for Speedway as well as a plus for 'Speedway Star'. Newcomers will learn that there is a Magazine out there where they can follow up on the GP and may find out that there is a Track local to them in their area. They may even consider popping along to watch a Meeting live and become regular Supporters. Can you not see that Blazeaway?

I am all for advertising anything that raises the profile of our Sport - what is so wrong with that?

As for 'Speedway Star' benefiting - so it should, it is after all, the ONLY Weekly Magazine around for our Sport.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2

You are very easliy pleased then Phil plus there your mates ;) They may not be going anywhere but the crowdes are :P They are not good at the job but then most things in speedway are of a low standard, wonder why ? Butter them up as much as you like, no one i know think there any good, laugh at them not with them i think.

Well I don't like them, the advantage of Eurosports coverage is that we don't have to listen to them between races and that for me improves the coverage a lot. Sadly them not going away, does mean that I now watch very few EL meetings, I am not one of the "be gratefull for it being on tv brigade", if I don't like it, then there are plenty of other channels to watch, so lick the ar5es of them all you like Philip it won't make me like them.

• Like 1

For Pete's sake what is the matter with you. Does it REALLY matter whether some like the Commentators or not? I happen to like them, I don't know them, and I am NOT licking anyone's backside. Commentators are like Whisky, it's a matter of TASTE. Clearly these two are not to your taste and that is fine. I would be prepared to bet that MORE folk like them than dislike them. You always have the option of your 'Volume' Button or your 'Off' Button. I would suggest that you use them.

It just MIGHT help you - though - I doubt it.

• Like 2

It was great speedway racing and great commentary work by Nigel and Kelvin last Saturday. You could not wish for any better entertainment. Pearson and Tatum are a pleasure to listen to.

They are simply the best !

It is TV broadcasts on Eurosport of the quality such as the last one from Bydgoszcz that can win us new fans for the sport of motorcycle speedway racing.

• Like 2

The fact that the Commentators are mentioning 'Speedway Star' is a plus for Speedway as well as a plus for 'Speedway Star'. Newcomers will learn that there is a Magazine out there where they can follow up on the GP and may find out that there is a Track local to them in their area. They may even consider popping along to watch a Meeting live and become regular Supporters. Can you not see that Blazeaway?

I am all for advertising anything that raises the profile of our Sport - what is so wrong with that?

As for 'Speedway Star' benefiting - so it should, it is after all, the ONLY Weekly Magazine around for our Sport.

Typical "jobs for the boys" attitude which is why speedway will never be more than a minority sport.

Edited by Blazeaway
  • Like 1

Even though I share kelvins surname I am not related to him or mr pearson in any way I am not friends with either of them YET I like there commentary. Keep up the good work and roll on the next GP.

• Like 1

Typical "jobs for the boys" attitude which is why speedway will never be more than a minority sport.

Could you enlarge on that a little please Blazeaway? I don't really understand the "jobs for the boys" reference.

I'm not being awkward, I'm not trolling - I would just like to know how you arrive at that viewpoint.

For Pete's sake what is the matter with you. Does it REALLY matter whether some like the Commentators or not? I happen to like them, I don't know them, and I am NOT licking anyone's backside. Commentators are like Whisky, it's a matter of TASTE. Clearly these two are not to your taste and that is fine. I would be prepared to bet that MORE folk like them than dislike them. You always have the option of your 'Volume' Button or your 'Off' Button. I would suggest that you use them.

It just MIGHT help you - though - I doubt it.

Exactly! I often watch Polish or Swedish racing, the foreign language commentary doesn't matter so much if the racing is good.

Agreed, at the end of the day it's the racing that matters ..................

• Like 2

It is the racing that matters, but it helps to enhance the experience if the commentators are your cup of tea. They personally work for me, and I have to say Saturday was just brilliant all round. To a degree it has to be 'jobs for the boys' as its much more interesting listening to guys who know what they are talking about, not joe bloggs off the street.

I share Kelvin's name too, but only in the christian name so I'm not related either :P

Eh?

I guess Football, Cricket, Rugby, NFL, MLB, NBA etc will never be more than a minority sport as most of their commentators and coverage could be deemed as 'jobs for the boys'.

I wonder if Ofcom would take that view, I am fairly sure the constant references to a commercial product, whilst good for the Star, is against their rules, I read this during the week http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10010268/ITV-faces-Ofcom-grilling-over-Patsy-Kensit-interview-on-Alan-Titchmarsh-chat-show.html I did notice Pearson actually only referred to the 'magazine' on Wednesday, so I assume someone as rightly had a word. Lets count the references to his 'Dudley' next week ;)

This is the point that someone else made about 'jobs for the boys', Sky would be better employing someone that is impartial without any commercial interests elsewhere in the sport.