British Speedway Forum
michaelcroucher

Speedway On Eurosport

The Welsh programme showing highlights is here

http://www.s4c.co.uk...es_id=512060355

If S4C have got rights to the highlights is there any chance Channel 4 might revisit the idea of a highlights show like they used to do?

So far I've learnt that the Welsh language has no word for bike, Speedway, clutch, throttle, 70-miles-per-hour, suspension, brakes, sprocket, front, carburettor, air-filter and tyre.

Good job they have got welsh versions of the riders names, heat number and points scored, or they would be completely buggered. Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

So far I've learnt that the Welsh language has no word for bike, Speedway, clutch, throttle, 70-miles-per-hour, suspension, brakes, sprocket, front, carburettor, air-filter and tyre.

Any word said in a startled way is automatically Welsh.

Yes I had the same issue. The one thing I don't like about the Eurosport coverage is the hand overs from the studio guy to the commentary team. There is always a clumsy gap followed by them picking up Nigel or Kelvin half way through a sentence. Personally I would prefer it if they stayed with the commentary team throughout. The "Studio" guy doing the recaps doesn't really add anything to proceedings, and it does annoy me when he talks about riders wearing "hats"!!

saw it for the first time last night. the coverage is excellent except for the bloke who does the interval stuff.

Kel and Nige are great as usual but he is half asleep and seems to pause after every word.

so basically replaced Huewen and co with a boring bloke who can't speak very fast.

SKY was far better.

The studio guy is ridiculous. I've never heard a person pause so much whilst talking.

He will...literally...pause this...many...time during a... sentence

I understand he's probably trying to fill space and he's also probably not done much commentary work, but he's just awful. Really, really bad.

Honeymoon period over then. From Eurosport being the best thing to happen to the GP coverage (despite them doing nothing) it appears that their only input into the transmission is now not suited.

Credit to Eurosport where it is due though, they provided us with a lovely summers evening in Gothenburg, SKY often gave us rainy nights from Sweden

• Like 1

Don't mind the studio guy. Means I can get a beer from the fridge without missing anything.

Why didn't I think of that?!

The studio guy is ridiculous. I've never heard a person pause so much whilst talking.

He will...literally...pause this...many...time during a... sentence

I understand he's probably trying to fill space and he's also probably not done much commentary work, but he's just awful. Really, really bad.

It sounds like Steve Day who does commentry on World Superbikes on Eurosport. Not sure how much he knows about speedway tho.

It sounds like Steve Day who does commentry on World Superbikes on Eurosport. Not sure how much he knows about speedway tho.

Does he talk that slow on the superbikes?

Any word said in a startled way is automatically Welsh.

OH!!! SH**!!!

You are joking - I hope. :unsure: :unsure:

'Diolch yn fawr'!!

Honeymoon period over then. From Eurosport being the best thing to happen to the GP coverage (despite them doing nothing) it appears that their only input into the transmission is now not suited.

Too be honest i couldn't care less who the commentators are or how annoying, i'm so delighted we still have access to the GP's. Things looked so bleak right up until the start of the series regarding getting to watch it on tv (HD too). Also, the number of times the broadcast is repeated is a great extra benefit, possibly for the sport as well seeing more people will come across it when not clashing with one of their favourite prime time Saturday night sports. I don't ever rewatch a GP normally but i confess to having the Bydgoszcz rerun on in the background a couple of days later whilst on my computer, it was good stuff indeed.

I would have have thought pretty much most fans would have been eternally grateful to have been able to watch racing which ranks up alongside the best ever in the history of series. To see so many posts complaining about the 'filler' voiceover commentator is crazy.

Edited by manchesterpaul
  • Like 5

Too be honest i couldn't care less who the commentators are or how annoying, i'm so delighted we still have access to the GP's. Things looked so bleak right up until the start of the series regarding getting to watch it on tv (HD too). Also, the number of times the broadcast is repeated is a great extra benefit, possibly for the sport as well seeing more people will come across it when not clashing with one of their favourite prime time Saturday night sports. I don't ever rewatch a GP normally but i confess to having the Bydgoszcz rerun on in the background a couple of days later whilst on my computer, it was good stuff indeed.

I would have have thought pretty much most fans would have been eternally grateful to have been able to watch racing which ranks up alongside the best ever in the history of series. To see so many posts complaining about the 'filler' voiceover commentator is crazy.

I'm on your side dude. I'm chuffed to bits that we've got the GPs this year as the lineup is awesome (or was before Darcy and Nicki ruled themselves out for a period of time) - I'm just venting. I'd rather have speedway with the annoying slow talking chap than no speedway at all.

• Like 2

OH!!! SH**!!!

You are joking - I hope. :unsure: :unsure:

'Diolch yn fawr'!!

Hafan y Mor!

The commentators don't really interest me mate.

I end up watching half the GPs in polish anyway.

But the thread was asking what fans thought of the Eurosport coverage and considering the moaning directed at SKY I personally think their coverage is poor (excluding the world feed with kel and Nige) compared to SKY.

The SKY panel was interesting a lot of the times even Sudden Sam sometimes. This bloke droning on at half normal speed is bordering on soporific.

Overall the coverage is the same, as it is the world feed. The studio or voiceover parts between adverts is perhaps not as good as Sky, but with luck that will improve in time, but like most of us I am off having a pee or making a cuppa etc, so not that important.

I still don't buy into this 'be grateful for speedway on TV' rubbish when it comes to Pearson. If the commentator is so rubbishe and annoying, you end up turning over, then actually it is as good as no speedway. It's not too much to ask for a commentator that just commentates, and lets the speedway do the talking is it? I am watching exciting racing, I don't need a moron screaming like an imbecile through the microphone to get the excitement of what I am watching.

Hopefully Eurosport will seek viewer feedback at some point.

Does he talk that slow on the superbikes?

He speaks slowly to make the bikes appear faster! :lol:

Edited by Team Man
  • Like 1

I It's not too much to ask for a commentator that just commentates, and lets the speedway do the talking is it? I am watching exciting racing, I don't need a moron screaming like an imbecile through the microphone to get the excitement of what I am watching.

The Danish speedway on Kanal has two guys who commentate. They talk among themselves during the racing as if they are discussing the price of washing up liquid.

Never elevating the racing, which is usually exciting, above the mundane.

Nige and Kev get excited and their enthusiasm must rub off with the listener.

I dunno why people moan as football, rugby and many other sports have commentators who get excited about what they are watching.

John Motson did not 'just commentate'. he got excited sometimes.

The two 'morons' have 60 seconds to bring the listener a sense of what is going on at high speed and very noisy.

They do well.

Steachman is dull, Sam just dribbles endlessly and none of the other stand ins for Kel have done a better job.

Maybe people like yourself would be happy if we had Nigel Lawson acommentating as he would not scream like an imbecile.

I prefer someone who feels the same as I do about watching speedway.

• Like 6

Overall the coverage is the same, as it is the world feed. The studio or voiceover parts between adverts is perhaps not as good as Sky, but with luck that will improve in time, but like most of us I am off having a pee or making a cuppa etc, so not that important.

I still don't buy into this 'be grateful for speedway on TV' rubbish when it comes to Pearson. If the commentator is so rubbishe and annoying, you end up turning over, then actually it is as good as no speedway. It's not too much to ask for a commentator that just commentates, and lets the speedway do the talking is it? I am watching exciting racing, I don't need a moron screaming like an imbecile through the microphone to get the excitement of what I am watching.

Hopefully Eurosport will seek viewer feedback at some point.

THEY have had massive feedback ... twitter, facebook, emails, etc. And their viewing figures are pretty good, too.

Also, to your dismay, they are delighted with their commentating duo!

• Like 6