British Speedway Forum

If you attend a wedding / function a good DJ. Will be able to read the crowd/ create an atmosphere etc ,,, I have DJ's as well as live bands playing in my pubs from weekly and they really do make a difference. Has any club ever experimented with a DJ working in conjunction with the announcer to get the crowd going ?? Over here on the continent it's just accepted as part of the razzmatazz. I was really disappointed / surprised last year to still be hearing Gary Glitter / Dave Clark five / mud / sweet etc after an absence of over 20 years isn't various uk tracks .

Thoughts please ?

I think Coventry have plans for some pre meeting entertainment this season with live bands etc.

david hamilton and ed stewart were the announcers/presenters when wembley reopened for league racing in the 1970's. they certainly added some entertainment in addition to the racing. 'diddy' hamilton was also on the mike at reading's old tilehurst track.

In my business I've found that a promotion ( whether its live music, DJ's, offers etc) wont make a bad night good, but it does make a good night better. It may take some tweaking to get right but surely it's not beyond the realms if possibility to fade in / fade out good music with the announcements ?

Coventry have had a DJ for a while. Certainly a lot better than most tracks. One of my biggest complaints about speedway is you're not going to attract people when they walk in to 70s and 80s music (and for the record I have more than my fair share of 70s and 80s music in my car for someone born in the mid-80s bu theres a time and a place). The presentation at speedway is almost universally crap.

If you attend a wedding / function a good DJ. Will be able to read the crowd/ create an atmosphere etc ,,, I have DJ's as well as live bands playing in my pubs from weekly and they really do make a difference. Has any club ever experimented with a DJ working in conjunction with the announcer to get the crowd going ?? Over here on the continent it's just accepted as part of the razzmatazz. I was really disappointed / surprised last year to still be hearing Gary Glitter / Dave Clark five / mud / sweet etc after an absence of over 20 years isn't various uk tracks .

Thoughts please ?

As you well know Jonny, the promoters only have to take a look at Marmande on the 12 July every year. They will see how to create a fantastic atmosphere and draw in a big crowd. I've been for the last 5 years and will be going again this year. Best meeting of the year, anywhere. I know it is Longtrack but the way it is presented could work for speedway.

Coventry have had a DJ for a while. Certainly a lot better than most tracks. One of my biggest complaints about speedway is you're not going to attract people when they walk in to 70s and 80s music (and for the record I have more than my fair share of 70s and 80s music in my car for someone born in the mid-80s bu theres a time and a place). The presentation at speedway is almost universally crap.

50's in my case. :t::party: :party: :party:

• Like 1

50's in my case. :t::party: :party: :party:

Winifred Atwell, Dickie Henderson, Lita Rosa, Mantovani, Joe Loss.

• Like 1

Winifred Atwell, Dickie Henderson, Lita Rosa, Mantovani, Joe Loss.

Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochrane, Marty Wilde, Bobby Darin, Elvis, Lonnie Donegan, Tommy Steel, Dion and the Belmonts, The Everly Brothers and Johnny Cash - the list goes on. :party: :party: :party:

I thought Hank Williams was great too - but he was the 40's. :t::party:

That's the thing though, I love led Zeppelin, Black sabbath etc but realise that if i played that to my customers i'd have 3 men and a dog in my pubs. To appeal to the masses it's not just a case of opening the doors and expecting the public to come in. You have to give them reasons to, and that's where i feel promotors are letting the public down

• Like 2

Certainly thought should be put into what is played on the night but the music is very much secondary to the speedway, the speedway banter and interviews.

Trees, totally agree. EVERYTHING should be secondary to racing, but unfortunately racing alone isn't proving enough to attract new fans. You have to make an event of it. The music and commentary here in Europe certainly does that. As I said earlier,even at a wedding a good DJ can make or break the evening. After over two decades of being away from British speedway I honestly couldn't believe I was still hearing mud, Gary glitter etc !

• Like 1

Lets concentrate on having speakers that work before we get carried away with adding music....

Typical attitude that riddles throughout speedway.

If clubs made more of an effort, including bringing in DJs etc., they'd ensure the sound system would be upgraded.

Trees, totally agree. EVERYTHING should be secondary to racing, but unfortunately racing alone isn't proving enough to attract new fans. You have to make an event of it. The music and commentary here in Europe certainly does that. As I said earlier,even at a wedding a good DJ can make or break the evening. After over two decades of being away from British speedway I honestly couldn't believe I was still hearing mud, Gary glitter etc !

It's not necessarily the age of the music being played that matters - as long as it's not crap. Try any number of sporting events and its easy to hear music that adds to the atmosphere (try a T20 cricket match for starters) as opposed to the usual guff served up at tracks from a few compilation CDs or, God forbid, a laptop & YouTube for "spontaneous humour" which, seemingly without fail is neither.