British Speedway Forum
John Leslie

Middleditch Must Go - New Gb Boss Needed

Exactly what I thought.

Why do people usually assume if it is printed in a newspaper it must therefore be true??

You're quite right, i wouldn't either.

So, Matt Ford seems to be taking a hell of a risk giving such a long interview/press release to the same puveyor of untruths today.

You'd think he would know better.

Or is it only Mr Middleditch that offers opinions that we must beware of being misquoted?

Edited by Grand Central

You're quite right, i wouldn't either.

So, Matt Ford seems to be taking a hell of a risk giving such a long interview/press release to the same puveyor of untruths today.

You'd think he would know better.

Or is it only Mr Middleditch that offers opinions that we must beware of being misquoted?

Matt Ford's interview is with the Sports Dept - the initial story came via the Editorial/News department.

As they deal with the Sports Dept journalists daily I'd imagine the trust is there to give a longer interview.

• Like 1

Matt Ford's interview is with the Sports Dept - the initial story came via the Editorial/News department.

As they deal with the Sports Dept journalists daily I'd imagine the trust is there to give a longer interview.

Rubbish.

Matt Ford's quote is in the exact same article.

Matt Ford makes very sensible comments that he doesn't condone Ward's actions, and he thinks he should get professional help before he ruins a good career.

Middleditch's comments are those of a prat. He thinks all youngsters get drunk, smoke pot, ride unregistered, uninsured vehicles on the road and flee from the police. He thinks drunk druggies shouldn't be on a speedway track, but it's ok for them to endanger innocent life on the ordinary roads.

Rubbish.

Matt Ford's quote is in the exact same article.

Matt Ford makes very sensible comments that he doesn't condone Ward's actions, and he thinks he should get professional help before he ruins a good career.

Middleditch's comments are those of a prat. He thinks all youngsters get drunk, smoke pot, ride unregistered, uninsured vehicles on the road and flee from the police. He thinks drunk druggies shouldn't be on a speedway track, but it's ok for them to endanger innocent life on the ordinary roads.

It's not rubbish at all. I'm certainly not condoning what Middlo is 'claimed' to have said, I am merely pointing out that Middlo's comments have been put in by the Editorial/News dept. Totally seperate to Ian Wadley of the Sport department to whom Matt Ford has given his comments.

At the bottom of the 'News' story it states 'More reaction from Matt Ford in Echo Sport.'

• Like 1

It's not rubbish at all.

Of course it's rubbish.

You're claiming the comments that you like are genuine, but the comments that you don't like have been made up.

They're not separate items in two separate news reports and sports reports. Both comments are in the same article which will have gone through the same sub-editor and editor. They couldn't include something in quotation marks if it wasn't said, else they would be open to libel action.

Of course it's rubbish.

You're claiming the comments that you like are genuine, but the comments that you don't like have been made up.

They're not separate items in two separate news reports and sports reports. Both comments are in the same article which will have gone through the same sub-editor and editor. They couldn't include something in quotation marks if it wasn't said, else they would be open to libel action.

I'm claiming nothing of the sort. There are no comments that I have a particular like or dislike for in either item, genuine or otherwise.

I was responding to the statement that:

"Matt Ford seems to be taking a hell of a risk giving such a long interview/press release to the same puveyor of untruths today.

You'd think he would know better"

What I am saying is that Matt Ford gave his long interview to the Sports Dept, not the News/Editorial department that have used the Middlo quotes.

• Like 1

Exactly what I thought.

Why do people usually assume if it is printed in a newspaper it must therefore be true??

Because there are serious consequences if they intentionally mis-quote people.

Today Middleditch has said he was misquoted, the Echo have said that what they printed was accurate and the reporter has it in her written notes and they stand by the article.

So now it's either up to Middleditch to take it further - if he truly believes he has been wronged, or to do nothing about it as he knows what he said.

I think it'll be the latter personally.

• Like 1

It's not rubbish at all. I'm certainly not condoning what Middlo is 'claimed' to have said, I am merely pointing out that Middlo's comments have been put in by the Editorial/News dept. Totally seperate to Ian Wadley of the Sport department to whom Matt Ford has given his comments.

At the bottom of the 'News' story it states 'More reaction from Matt Ford in Echo Sport.'

Ian Wadley's report in the Sport section gives a fuller account of Ford's views. But the snippets included in the News report are just shortened versions of the same that have been very accurately and fairly reprised.

So why should we fear that the same reporter has been so unfair on Middleditch alone?

Ian Wadley's report in the Sport section gives a fuller account of Ford's views. But the snippets included in the News report are just shortened versions of the same that have been very accurately and fairly reprised.

So why should we fear that the same reporter has been so unfair on Middleditch alone?

You are bang on - snippets have been used in the News/Editorial story taken from the same interview. This report was not put together by Ian Wadley of the Sports dept, the fuller version was.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the Press Complaints Commision contact details are fairly easy to find should Middlo seriously believe he has been misquoted.

You are bang on - snippets have been used in the News/Editorial story taken from the same interview. This report was not put together by Ian Wadley of the Sports dept, the fuller version was.

So your claim is that Ford was interviewed by the Sports dept, Middleditch wasn't.

Fords comments were accurately portrayed, Middleditches were made up?

Middleditch is doing himself no favors by telling people to 'get of there high horse' on twitter.

I highly doubt that the reporter 'made up' the comments attributed to Middledith. Middleditch should simply explain the context in which the quotes were made (if indeed the context is different to that portrayed in the story).

So your claim is that Ford was interviewed by the Sports dept, Middleditch wasn't.

I haven't said that - just that the initial report came from the news/editorial where snippets have been used.

Fords comments were accurately portrayed, Middleditches were made up?

Again, I haven't said that. Ford's comments were accurately portrayed by a trusted jornalist. So he isn't taking a hell of a risk giving a lengthy interview to be used by this person. I haven't said that Middleditch's were made up.

Middleditch is doing himself no favors by telling people to 'get of there high horse' on twitter.

I highly doubt that the reporter 'made up' the comments attributed to Middledith. Middleditch should simply explain the context in which the quotes were made (if indeed the context is different to that portrayed in the story).

Agree with the rest of your post

• Like 1