British Speedway Forum
speedwayadict

How To Make Speedway More Appealing To Younger Fans?

That would be good. A Prize (Cash) for the first Rider to beat the 'Black Knight'. It would be great for kids - just the sort of thing that would appeal to them.

Home and visiting Heat Leaders could all have a go.

Races to be run before the Meeting x 2.

During the Interval x 2.

After the last Race in the Match x 2.

I'm sure there will be some reason it CAN'T be done - but I still think it is a good idea.

Why not the ....

White Knight? :t:

• Like 1

That would be good. A Prize (Cash) for the first Rider to beat the 'Black Knight'. It would be great for kids - just the sort of thing that would appeal to them.

Home and visiting Heat Leaders could all have a go.

Races to be run before the Meeting x 2.

During the Interval x 2.

After the last Race in the Match x 2.

I'm sure there will be some reason it CAN'T be done - but I still think it is a good idea.

i think it is a good idea in theory but.... i cant see how say a darcy ward or holder would fit it.into their schedule, nor whete the money would come from to pay there costs as they would no doubt want a decent sum if they were to treat it setiously

So you think it's a game of football then, racing on a boarded circuit, on 500cc highly tuned motorbikes, inches from one another, with little or no protection if something goes wrong then ................ hmmmmmmmmm, you're a hard man to please obviously!!

No what i am saying is there are far more dangerous sports around nowadays. yes speedway is dangerous but not an extreme sport. All bike sports use highly tuned engines and they race side by side, some at nearly 200mph. the protection they wear is very similar. And before you say they have no brakes, they do, its the engine.

back on topic.

how about these.

Maybe only run every two weeks. cheaper to go, more will hopefully turn up.

drop points limit. build to your pocket. even if your team loses people will come to see the dream team. ala man u.

bring back the match race at each meeting.

bring back the test matches.

all kids under 18 free.

all kids under 10 free goodie bags, take them in the pits and on track. like nascar.

before meeting, motorcross or trials demo.

after meeting disco for older kids.

i think speedway needs to be made to feel specil again, make it an event with more going on for all, maybe run in the afternoon on a weekend not a school night ? Poland does.

there is a lot that can be tried but those running it and those attending need to change.

At the Kent Kings we:

1) Have an iphone/Andriod version of the website which is very popular.

2) We are on Facebook & Twitter

3) We have downloadable posters from our website.

4) We have a partnership with the Kent Youth Football League

5) We are going round the local schools with teenage riders they can relate to.

6) We are already advertising that our riders will be available at every meeting for photos and autographs.

7) At our first meeting a mystery new "fan" will be at track....and I think the kids are going to love him.

• Like 5

No what i am saying is there are far more dangerous sports around nowadays. yes speedway is dangerous but not an extreme sport. All bike sports use highly tuned engines and they race side by side, some at nearly 200mph. the protection they wear is very similar. And before you say they have no brakes, they do, its the engine.

The riders who race in the sports you allude too say different.

• Like 1

I believe we at Kings Lynn benefit from everything that is good for the sport. Having the Stadium owned by Buster, we don't have to pay for Car Parking, The admission prices are kept to a minimum, the programs is only £2.00 a time, and all the money spent at the bar and shops all go into the business. Buster is very astute and runs a tight ship. But he knows that running a viable operation is of paramount importance. So when we talk about the ability to run the sport on a professional basis, it must be far more difficult to make ends meet for those promoters who rent their stadium and don't have the same luxury a we do at Lynn. What I'm trying to say is, although the numbers of supporters are encouraging, with all them benefits, we at Lynn are not overrun with enthusiasm from the supporters, so it must be doubly hard for those club,s where the costs are higher and the average supporting numbers are lower. Oh for a Magic solution.......

The riders who race in the sports you allude too say different.

McGuiness says the riders are mad doesn't he and his racing on the Isle of Man is pretty extreme!! Engine braking is instant .......... NOT!

There's no doubt about it our sport is EXTREME and some of us would do well to remember that when we watch the racing :D

• Like 1

At the Kent Kings we:

1) Have an iphone/Andriod version of the website which is very popular.

2) We are on Facebook & Twitter

3) We have downloadable posters from our website.

4) We have a partnership with the Kent Youth Football League

5) We are going round the local schools with teenage riders they can relate to.

6) We are already advertising that our riders will be available at every meeting for photos and autographs.

7) At our first meeting a mystery new "fan" will be at track....and I think the kids are going to love him.

Did the android/iphone app cost much to build and design?

What is the app called?

Did the android/iphone app cost much to build and design?

What is the app called?

Its not an app, its our website www.kentkings.co but you have the option to view the "Mobile Version" which fits an andriod/iphone screen.

Its doesnt have all the pics etc but all the news, how to find us etc is there and we are finding that alot of younger people prefer this.

They then bookmark it on the phones.

It will also have Home Meeting updates during the season.

It was designed by our web company specifically for this market and it receives almost as many "hits" every month as our main site, and Im pleased to say that is a lot.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Nikko

• Like 1

so to attract the 11-16 age group, i think you need to embrace what a teenager wants..

Something cheap, it goes without saying, short concentration, which shouldn't be a problem, but is when 15 minutes takes 3 hours!

midweek tracks must finish much ealier, always struggled with my three waking up dead tired for school, doesnt go down well, so should finish no latter than 9pm.

so the messing around should be reduced. once the pit door is closed that's it, no going back, 30 seconds back for tapes.

i always struggled when a teenager to go to the speedway and go out at the weekend, just a question why cant meetings be during the day at the weekends?

i would say no teenagers would want to be seen next to "bobble hat train spotters", neither do i come to that, so perhaps a reduced price for a "teenage/student" area, so that when they take facebook photos they are not surrounded by pensioners!

entrance price to include a burger and coke?

dare i say the betting word? at track betting only? seems like a disease of adverts for betting apps at the moment, perhaps to survive speedway has to bite the bullet?

Edited by philfromcov
  • Like 1

so to attract the 11-16 age group, i think you need to embrace what a teenager wants..

Something cheap, it goes without saying, short concentration, which shouldn't be a problem, but is when 15 minutes takes 3 hours!

midweek tracks must finish much ealier, always struggled with my three waking up dead tired for school, doesnt go down well, so should finish no latter than 9pm.

so the messing around should be reduced. once the pit door is closed that's it, no going back, 30 seconds back for tapes.

i always struggled when a teenager to go to the speedway and go out at the weekend, just a question why cant meetings be during the day at the weekends?

i would say no teenagers would want to be seen next to "bobble hat train spotters", neither do i come to that, so perhaps a reduced price for a "teenage/student" area, so that when they take facebook photos they are not surrounded by pensioners!

entrance price to include a burger and coke?

dare i say the betting word? at track betting only? seems like a disease of adverts for betting apps at the moment, perhaps to survive speedway has to bite the bullet?

I am NOT in favour of Betting at Speedway Meetings. I do not think that a Betting environment is a good place to bring Children. We pride ourselves on being a 'FAMILY SPORT' so for me this would not be a goer.

• Like 2

I believe we at Kings Lynn benefit from everything that is good for the sport. Having the Stadium owned by Buster, we don't have to pay for Car Parking, The admission prices are kept to a minimum, the programs is only £2.00 a time, and all the money spent at the bar and shops all go into the business. Buster is very astute and runs a tight ship. But he knows that running a viable operation is of paramount importance. So when we talk about the ability to run the sport on a professional basis, it must be far more difficult to make ends meet for those promoters who rent their stadium and don't have the same luxury a we do at Lynn. What I'm trying to say is, although the numbers of supporters are encouraging, with all them benefits, we at Lynn are not overrun with enthusiasm from the supporters, so it must be doubly hard for those club,s where the costs are higher and the average supporting numbers are lower. Oh for a Magic solution.......

This is a myth that crops up time and again. For a business that only uses a stadium 20 days a year then renting is by far the best and cheapest option. Its the difference between having a mortgage or renting a house, in lots of circumstances renting is by far the better option. Renting stadia does provide problems with difficult landlords but in an ideal world of totally co operative landlords then Speedways business model is far better suited to renting than owning.

Owning the stadium keeping the costs down getting people back who you rely on for your livelihood has got to be the way to go.Any rent surely is dead money?

How To Make Speedway More Appealing To Younger Fans?

Naked start girls and free drugs and alcohol and for the over 13s Justin Bieber in an interval cage fight with Michael Le Vell.

• Like 1

Owning the stadium keeping the costs down getting people back who you rely on for your livelihood has got to be the way to go.Any rent surely is dead money?

No more dead money than having a couple of million quid tied up in an asset that only gets used 20 times a year