British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tyretrax

Mauger Retirement

Ivan is a true legend of the sport and I wish him all the very best in his retirement.

Many thanks for all the of the great memories.

Even as a Cradley fan, he was one of my all time favourite riders.

Here's a couple of magic moments. At Monmore riding for Exeter he was the victim of a ragged start and after a great deal of arm waving to the referee he finally got under way with the other three going into the third turn. You can guess the rest.....there was only going to be one winner.

Then at Perry Barr, after sufering a first race defeat to Andy Grahame and getting stick for being 'past it' nobody got near him for the rest of the night and he shepherded Bobby Beaton home in the last race for a match winning 5-1 for Hull.

Have a great retirement Ivan. Without doubt the greatest ever and the man who brought a new level of professionalism to the sport, which the likes of Olsen, Penhall, Gundersen and Nielsen all learnt from.

I remember that night very well - Mauger got a well deserved standing ovation from the Perry Barr faithful.

In over 40 years of watching speedway I don't think there is another rider who comes anywhere near him in terms of team riding skill.

Great rider and at his peak and as somebody else said you didn't expect him to lose.So professional i see him ride at Poole once for the falcons 1974 he was awesome he wore flash White leathers.Have a great retirement Ivan with Rae good luck in the future.

a true great, an absolute speedway and New Zealand sporting legend.

Hopefully he is well enough to get along to Western Springs and enjoy the GP this coming weekend.

all the best for the future to Ivan and family

Edited by waihekeaces1

Hopefully he is well enough to get along to Western Springs and enjoy the GP this coming weekend.

SADLY he won't be there...

My all time favourite it's all been said hope he has many quiet happy years ahead of him the "bench mark" for ALL that followed him best wishes

Ivan was one of the best rider to enter speedway and was way ahead of his time, he was a true professional in all aspects of the sport and a model to anybody coming into the sport. Ivan's name was up there amongst the top sportsmen in his hey day all the best wishes for the future Ivan & Rae.

Not many riders in modern day speedway would retain such interest - never mind when they are still actively racing... let alone retired for 30 years. Ivan came from an era we're never likely to witness again... and the likes of the great man, especally on track, we'll possibly never witness again.

Here's wishing he has a wonderful retirement from public life.

Thank you for the memories, Ivan... the first iconic rider of my learning years.

I was one of the lucky ones, to see him ride for my team Belle Vue Aces...... what a rider, and a gentleman..

Enjoy your retirement from public life.

All the best Ivan & Rae & Family.

Only saw him once when he came to Workington in a Four team tournament with Hull, wandered in the pits after the meet and watched him tinker with his bike, only in Speedway. :approve:

Best wishes Ivan.

wishing Ivan a happy retirement and hopefully he'll rest enough to get over his recent ill health

I was also one of the lucky ones, although I was introduced to speedway at around 5y/o I only really became a proper young supporter in 69/70, aged 10, it was Hyde Rd every Saturday with my dad. Soren Sjosten was my favourite rider back then but obviously I was aware of Ivan's qualities, you pick up on different aspects when you're a kid, like which riders sign your autograph book in the pits after the meeting, got to say I had Ivan's signature more than any other, he always obliged even though he was always in a rush, no doubt off to the continent for a Sunday Long Track, I can distinctly remember marvelling at his accent when he spoke with anyone in the pits, he was probably the first 'foreigner' I'd ever heard speak in real life, apart from Taffy Owen of course but I couldn't tell a word he said.

For me it was a case of not knowing what you've got until it's gone, the season following Ivan's enforced move to Exeter was completely different, we weren't so invincible anymore, we'd just won the League 3 times on the trot, I'd love to know how few times he was beaten round Hyde Rd during those 3 seasons.

Thanks so much for the memories Ivan, hope you enjoy many more restful years.

Edited by nw42