British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TMW

Leicester V Sheffield 30th March

The new toilet block oh what a disaster with large building but only 3 urinals for men with crowds over 1000 just not enough with large qs happening which meant people missing some of the racing and heard from people around me that ladies no better with leaking toilets so wet floors all in not a good experience for fans

The new toilet block meets All the requirements of the SCB rule book for 2013 , In an effort to level the playing field the old toilet block was deemed far too posh for British Speedway patrons , the new toilets have been built in accordance with SCB specifications and with materials supplied by Gospeed recommended suppliers . I must admit the Briggo splash protectors are very effective at the urinals , I queued for 15 minutes after drinking 5 pints and standing outside in the cold and still came out with dry shoes !!.. the leak in the ladies is a standard leak purchased at considerable expense form Gospeed and in accordance with rule 21b subsection 2 a . the toilets passed BSPA inspection just before the opening match and it is testament to the quality of workmanship that the only advisories were , that there were too many lightbulbs and far too many toilet rolls , these have now been removed and the toilets are full SCB spec. as a side note I heard that the previous toilets were the reason Leicester were refused entry to the Elite league this year and the BSPA are hoping that after a full season of abuse and vandalism the new block will have fallen to a standard acceptable for the teams inclusion in the Elite league in 2014

• Like 3

The new toilet block meets All the requirements of the SCB rule book for 2013 , In an effort to level the playing field the old toilet block was deemed far too posh for British Speedway patrons , the new toilets have been built in accordance with SCB specifications and with materials supplied by Gospeed recommended suppliers . I must admit the Briggo splash protectors are very effective at the urinals , I queued for 15 minutes after drinking 5 pints and standing outside in the cold and still came out with dry shoes !!.. the leak in the ladies is a standard leak purchased at considerable expense form Gospeed and in accordance with rule 21b subsection 2 a . the toilets passed BSPA inspection just before the opening match and it is testament to the quality of workmanship that the only advisories were , that there were too many lightbulbs and far too many toilet rolls , these have now been removed and the toilets are full SCB spec. as a side note I heard that the previous toilets were the reason Leicester were refused entry to the Elite league this year and the BSPA are hoping that after a full season of abuse and vandalism the new block will have fallen to a standard acceptable for the teams inclusion in the Elite league in 2014

Obviously comedy is not for you. :D

I do think there needs to be a sense of realism here. Even on the best tracks it is likely that the majority of heats are won from the gate and the number of very good races are few.

I also think there is some cause for optimism and that to judge the new shape on the basis of one meeting is unreasonable.

My only fear at Leicester is that the surface will be prepared for the benefit of the riders not the spectators and that is simply not on. I base that fear upon two consecutive matches last season (against Scunthorpe and against Plymouth) when the track went from being the best I have ever seen it (and proof that BP can be as good as many and better than some) to an appalling gaters paradise, apparently at the behest of the home team.

Tracks (and this does not only apply to Leicester) must be prepared with one person and only one in mind: the paying fan.

Of course they are going to prepare it the way the riders want it! Why would they prepare it the way the fans want it? they are not the ones going out on track and riding it are they or have I missed something.

• Like 1

! Why would they prepare it the way the fans want it? they are not the ones going out on track and riding it are they or have I missed something.

I would have thought that was fairly obvious. To attract new ones and retain the ones that they have.

What have you have probably missed is that the appalling track surface that produced a dreadful gaters paradise of a meeting against Plymouth last year was described by Magnus Karlsson as 'mint'.

He might have liked it, but no fan did.

And since when in any commercial exercise (apart, perhaps, from government) do those getting paid dictate to those doing the paying ?

If fans want tracks surfaces that produce excellent racing (and they all do) then any promotion should do everything possible to ensure that they get it. As long as the track isn't dangerous, riders opinions should not count in the slightest.

Hang on 1 track is crap 2 toilet blockis crap 3 programes gone up 3 and just when It couldn't get any worse Bloody Popples back need we say any more:)

Hang on 1 track is crap 2 toilet blockis crap 3 programes gone up 3 and just when It couldn't get any worse Bloody Popples back need we say any more:)

and dont forget darcy is the third musketeer so it cant get any worse.

There are very few (if any ) experts on track preparation on this forum, but there are plenty of experts who know what a decent Speedway race is. Personally I couldn't give a monkey's whether there is x tons of dirt on a track or whether the riders think it's great. what I as a paying Speedway supporter want to see is racing. If there's no racing and no passing something needs to change.

I've never baked a cake but I know when one tastes like sh**

fans will fully agree with what you have said but sadly its the promotion you need to convince

Ok everyone wants overtaking , more dirt on the track and don't give a dame about what the riders want.

Yes we have to work with what we have. But to put the riders views and their well being at risk is irresposable. Its them who are at risk not the fans who demand this and that.

You go down the straight at 65mph slide the bike in sideways only for the dirt to flick you up and drive you into the fence. While they are in hospital awaiting surgery for a broken arm or leg. You the demanding fan can go down the pub. Jezz that was nasty fall last night! hope he will be ok. Give us pint love.

I will never ignore the fans and try to make the safest track I can, with what I have to work with. But what the riders want will always come first.

• Like 2

Well said Glyn rider safety has always got to come first there has been already some bad injuries this season with Tully,Roynon,Bunyan and Lambert all spending time in hospital recovering from injuries.

As I said before hopefully with the warmer weather it will more water and grip on the outside to allow passes on outside and cutbacks

Ok everyone wants overtaking , more dirt on the track and don't give a dame about what the riders want.

Yes we have to work with what we have. But to put the riders views and their well being at risk is irresposable. Its them who are at risk not the fans who demand this and that.

You go down the straight at 65mph slide the bike in sideways only for the dirt to flick you up and drive you into the fence. While they are in hospital awaiting surgery for a broken arm or leg. You the demanding fan can go down the pub. Jezz that was nasty fall last night! hope he will be ok. Give us pint love.

I will never ignore the fans and try to make the safest track I can, with what I have to work with. But what the riders want will always come first.

Every fan wants safety for the riders but not every fan Will pay each week to watch what has been on offer since leicester speedway came back anymore,the promotion has had long enough to get it right.

The problem you are facing is your in the middle, you know what should of been done and are trying to fill the cracks and hope it might slightly improve things when you know had they made bigger changes we wouldnt be having this conversation going into the third season.

Season tickets holders feel robbed and let down and cant walk away but others can if its not put right quickly, then the leicester lions team will be riding in a near empty jordan stadium. that will be a major shame for leicester and speedway.

Edited by robert72

And when they want ridiculously slick tracks that produce crap racing which would have the fans deserting the sport in droves - and that is the main point of criticism of Leicester Speedway - would you still do that ?

I only have speculation about the riders demands for the surface at BP and the management's agreement to that but, as I have said, one rider certainly described a disgracefully slick track there as 'mint'. Every fan would describe it as the precise opposite.

Every fan is aware of the risks that riders take and is appalled when injuries occur. The reaction of the speedway paying public to the death of Lee Richardson, the astonishing crowd at Lakeside for his memorial meeting and enormous funds raised for his dependents are testimony to that. No fan would wish for the preparation of a track that endangers them any more than climbing on a 500cc bike without brakes in the first place.

But that does not mean that their demands completely override those of the spectator paying for the privilege. In my experience, it is entirely possible to prepare tracks for good racing that are safe (or at least not dangerous) for those participating.

In truth, you did it every week at Redcar and its never been the same since you left - in my view, it went from being one of the best racing tracks in the country to one of the worst. I again only have speculation on the matter, but I was told that that was down to the demands of one rider.

• Like 2

Clearly Hemsley has done the track changes on the cheap. Paying a couple of hundred quid to take a couple of feet off is not going to help and he has conned his paying public.

What an embarrassment that a blank canvas was available and some wally came up with that.

Think you have to be very careful as well with siding with what the riders want over the paying public. 90% of riders these days will want ultra slick tracks as its an easier ride for them.

Edited by Chris
  • Like 3

Well said Glyn. Which then brings us back to the fundamental point.. and we all know where this is going. It's what what Andy Joyce so eloquently called 'the nonsense on here'. The shape of the track. When 4 riders are going that fast down a straight and then having to scrub off that much speed to get round such a tight corner then i can't see how the track can work with much more dirt on it. I remember that Scunthorpe match last year and as entertaining to watch as it was, it was clearly a train wreck waiting to happen. Track changes have left us with the same fundamental issues irrespective. Honestly, i'm in disbelief there is anyone out there who is still defending the thing or coming up with alternative reasons, such as track preparation, as to why that might not be the whole problem. It's clutching at straws

What we need was someone in charge who has an ounce of sense who can sit there and say, we've got it wrong. Lets sort it out before it's too late.

Mick,

Edited by volty
  • Like 3

I know in most of your Eutopian lives of self denial everything is perfect ..... But if you hadn't noticed in the real world things aren't perfect .

As far as the track is concerned if you didn't notice (oh some of you probably didn't even go ) it was freezing therefore be thankful there weren't multiple injured riders like has happened nearly everywhere else.

Based on the horrendous start to the year with freezing temperatures and bad injuries, Glyn did a great job with the track in the weather conditions.

Judge the track when it's decent speedway weather, but then again whatever's done at Leicester Speedway most of you will just criticise it on here.

Anything that didn't work right in the toilets the first time they were used I would think will be fixed, why wouldn't it be? , but then again you'll still complain that there are no gold taps and nobody supplied to wipe your backside for you!

Edited by hurricanes
  • Like 1