British Speedway Forum

I have heard that Tony Childs has passed away recently. I remember him from his days at Crayford in the late 1960's. Has anyone got any more information on this as all I have heard is that he has passed away.

I also heard Tony Childs had sadly passed away. He will be remembered as a hard-charging never-give-up old-school type of rider who was also a bit of a character and apparently his battles with the late Jack MIllen were legendary. I missed seeing him ride in his hey day, as I was too young to go to speedway, though I saw him at Scunny's Ashby Ville in the early 1980's and then when he rode in Alan Grahame's Silver Jubilee meet at Hull's Craven Park in 1997.

I attended the practice for Big Al's meet as the stadium was open all day. Tony was there, old style bike with 'banana seat', blue and white Savoy Tyres leathers riding for hours lap after lap with anyone and everyone. When all the other riders seemed to have had enough and were packing up he asked "doesn't anyone want another race?" before riding lap after lap on his own. He rode some exhibition races in the meet itself, 'accidentally on purpose' touched the tapes, had (good natured) arguments with the referee and provided entertainment for the fans as he always did....

think he had a spell at Workington around the 80s. proper rider. no ifs or buts..

I also heard Tony Childs had sadly passed away. He will be remembered as a hard-charging never-give-up old-school type of rider who was also a bit of a character and apparently his battles with the late Jack MIllen were legendary. I missed seeing him ride in his hey day, as I was too young to go to speedway, though I saw him at Scunny's Ashby Ville in the early 1980's and then when he rode in Alan Grahame's Silver Jubilee meet at Hull's Craven Park in 1997.

I attended the practice for Big Al's meet as the stadium was open all day. Tony was there, old style bike with 'banana seat', blue and white Savoy Tyres leathers riding for hours lap after lap with anyone and everyone. When all the other riders seemed to have had enough and were packing up he asked "doesn't anyone want another race?" before riding lap after lap on his own. He rode some exhibition races in the meet itself, 'accidentally on purpose' touched the tapes, had (good natured) arguments with the referee and provided entertainment for the fans as he always did....

I was lucky enough to see a number of clashes (sometimes literally) between Jack Millen and Tony Childs some of their Races were epic - but - neither would give an inch. I used to think he was a dirty Rider but that, I think, was because I supported Sunderland. Remembering now I think of two very hard men who were prepared to dish it out - but - could take it as well.

I remember them both with respect.

May they both Rest in Peace.

• Like 1

Not sure of any details, but sadly, I can confirm that Tony passed away last week.

Steve

How come they don't make characters like Tony Childs any more?

Sad to discover yet another who once helped fill terraces has now gone forever.

• Like 1

The funeral is going to be 26th April 2pm @ St. John the Baptist church, Coltishall

you can read a special tribute from our local paper here which was published today

http://www.thisishul...tail/story.html

Lots of nice tributes been left on the Hull Vikings facebook page to.

Thanks for sharing this. RIP