British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fingersfin

Glasgow V Edinburgh Lc 14.03.13 3pm Start

Rubbish , this was our reserved date . We will have a blank Sunday the following week because of Cardiff , so we needed a fixture for this date and a rearranged fixture against Edinburgh fitted the bill . Edinburgh must have agreed to taking this fixture too . Anyway , what the hell is the cup final doing being played on a Sunday anyway ? The football ones can please themselves , i'm just glad we have speedway that day so i can avoid it .

So the speedway audience will be Hearts and Rangers' fans?

Cannot imagine new promotion can afford to lose a fairly large (be honest) percentage of their potential local derby attendancy

So the speedway audience will be Hearts and Rangers' fans?

Cannot imagine new promotion can afford to lose a fairly large (be honest) percentage of their potential local derby attendancy

I honestly don't see the cup final impacting too much on the crowd . Most Tigers fans put the speedway first whilst you don't get too many travelling through from the east these days anyway .

Realistically how many Monarch fans who would have attended will be going to the cup final.

Being serious the numbers attending from the East have been down in recent meetings and we read on here about the numbers refusing to attend Ashfield after 4th June (sorry to drag up again). So what are we to believe?

True speedway supporters will record the football anyway as a live Scottish speedway derby beats a football cup final any day.

And realistically what chance do Hibs stand of winning the Irish Cup Final?

Edited by george.m

It's not that many Monarchs fans will be going to Hampden, but that the M8 is likely to be congested in the early afternoon, and that is the problem.

While there may be fewer Monarchs fans than previous go to Ashfield now, imo the home support has also declined and the percentage of visitors is probably still a significant chunk of the total gate.

A delayed start of 5pm would avoid the hassle on the M8 and the Tigers bar takings could also increase if they opened up to show the live footy on the telly from 3pm for those who follow both sports ;)

It's not that many Monarchs fans will be going to Hampden, but that the M8 is likely to be congested in the early afternoon, and that is the problem.

While there may be fewer Monarchs fans than previous go to Ashfield now, imo the home support has also declined and the percentage of visitors is probably still a significant chunk of the total gate.

A delayed start of 5pm would avoid the hassle on the M8 and the Tigers bar takings could also increase if they opened up to show the live footy on the telly from 3pm for those who follow both sports ;)

Let's split the difference and go for 4pm. ;)

Problem is that the M8 will be very busy at 4pm with Hibs fans going home? Well it was last year ;)

• Like 1

well my dad and i will be 2 of those who would normally be at ashfield but will be at hampden. shame as i quite enjoy my trips to the west when the monarchs are on form. keen to see max square up against the young tigers as well.

cup final has been moved to sunday to avoid a clash with the champions league final. ridiculous decision.

without counting the chickens too much there is a good chance the meeting will be meaningless so maybe the glasgow promotion want to get it out of the way.

What has to be grasped is that if there are only fifty who don't come to Ashfield for whatever reason, that's perhaps the difference between profit and loss for the club.

The travel congestion, the hype of a final (football will claim all the media attention as usual) and people who will choose the one-off occasion of the match (live or on TV) have to be recognised.

"The true speedway supporter will be there" we are told. Of course, but there simply aren't enough of us at any track these days, what the sport needs is to attract "floating voters" who make the difference between success and financial failure.

At the very least, if the date has to be maintained Glasgow must begin the meeting at 5pm.

• Like 1