British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle V Workington League Cup Sunday 21st April 2013

Or, that Howarth was that far ahead of Rusty, who was desperately fighting to keep ahead of our reserve, he did look back on the last lap and realised he could not decelerate that quickly to let Rusty get ahead of him. What the hell, i was there.

I thought he looked back far too late. When a rider is on a tactical you would think there would be more awareness. The only time Howarth looked back was coming off the final bend and Harrison would have needed to be pretty close to pass him by then. Harrison was in third for all but the first bend so for me they just messed it up but to be fair it's a big ask when it now costs a rider money.

I thought he looked back far too late. When a rider is on a tactical you would think there would be more awareness. The only time Howarth looked back was coming off the final bend and Harrison would have needed to be pretty close to pass him by then. Harrison was in third for all but the first bend so for me they just messed it up but to be fair it's a big ask when it now costs a rider money.

It doesn't cost a rider anything, but don't let that get in the way of a theory.

People said this would happen with the removal of the bonus point payment. So no surprise.

From memory was it not said that bonus points were not to be paid unless in the instance of tactical rides to prevent a rider not slowing down and allowing his partner past?

Therefore what happened tonight was not about money and in my view similar to that of Tsunami that it took Rusty Harrison too long to shake of the attentions of Steve Worrall meaning Howarth got too far in front to safely slow down and allow him past

Tully flys round Brough? In his two meetings there for Edinburgh last year he got 2 & 2 then 9 off 5 rides.

it took Rusty Harrison too long to shake of the attentions of Steve Worrall

Howarth wouldn't of known that though as he only looked around once and that was coming off the final bend

It doesn't cost a rider anything, but don't let that get in the way of a theory.

Happy to be corrected but is there any need for the insulting tone. Jees...

You get used to Backless ' charm and friendliness :P

The only time a third placed rider , when finishing directly behind his 2nd placed team-mate , gets paid bonus point money is actually when that team-mate is on a t/r

The only time a third placed rider , when finishing directly behind his 2nd placed team-mate , gets paid bonus point money is actually when that team-mate is on a t/r

Or rides for Ipswich :wink:

Or rides for Ipswich :wink:

Yes indeed :lol:

Very dull meeting of gate and go and a ridiculous amount of track grading, I mean why grade during the sun delay then again the very next heat?!?

Some of the track grading was because Newcastle riders had two on the trot due to rider replacement. It's a tactic seen all over the country. Agreed that it was a poor meeting with races generally settled from the gate.

The whole meeting seemed a bit odd as Newcastle were obviously thrashing Workington all the way through only for the Comets to have the chance of a point in heat 15. The wonders of tactical rides eh?

• Like 3

Howarth wouldn't of known that though as he only looked around once and that was coming off the final bend

I think Howarth would have known there was no engine noise behind him. He was late looking back for Rusty, on the last corner last lap, but by that time it would have looked so silly and risky, to have slowed down to a crawl to let Rusty pass. I did say at the time I wondered whether TM Jacko had told Howarth that Rusty was on a TR, but of course he did, otherwise Howarth wouldn't have looked back for Rusty.

A decent win, which got of to a great start with some lightning gating, but after the sun break and grading, Worky hit back. Their 5-1 in heat 13 was a shock, and it only needed an unfortunate ride in heat 14 or 15, and we were going to lose a point. Fortunately agent Bach ruled that possibility out.

Deeper track last night, fast racing with slower times, kept it interesting. The second bend was usually ridden like in the KB days, when riders drifted right across the track midcorner, and rode in the dirt parallel to the fence out of the second. Bit scary at times when especially Luddi was picking up drive, and he was having to put it down straight and quickly with the gas still on. Luddi seems to love it, and was letting the bike run in the dirt, rather his usual fast inside way. Good nights for Christian and Richie, but not such a fortunate night from Robbo, who was not happy with his, or should that be his bikes, performances. Great having the potential of 5 decent heat leaders in the team and a night like Robbo's does affect the score too much.

I am sure he will be fine for Redcar on Thursday though. Not such a good night for the reserves with some still decent support for the team but Lewis very unfortunate with an engine lockup when nearly winning heat 2 with ease.

On to Thursday now, and Redcar who must perform better than they did the last time at home to us. Dyer was flying until last night against us, and the enigma that is Kus might start to get points that Redcar need from him. Prospects of a competitive meeting.

Some of the track grading was because Newcastle riders had two on the trot due to rider replacement. It's a tactic seen all over the country. Agreed that it was a poor meeting with races generally settled from the gate.

The whole meeting seemed a bit odd as Newcastle were obviously thrashing Workington all the way through only for the Comets to have the chance of a point in heat 15. The wonders of tactical rides eh?

Apart from the grading, which obviously needed to be done when the dirt was loose early on, there seems to be a consensus these days with a lot of clubs to grade every 4 races, a bit like the GP's. Last night was sometimes extensive with water also put down around the outside lines. We haven't always done grading every 4 races, but it does mean the track is kept similar for the whole meeting and thank goodness gets rid of the disturbing INTERVAL which often used to change our fortunes dramatically.

Edited by Tsunami

You merely seemed happy to carry on with your theory that Howarth screwed up, irrespective of how far Harrison may have been behind him, and then invented a reason to support your theory. If you're convinced about it, carry on - nothing else meant by my comment.

I thought Christian Henry was brilliant apart from his fall. He is a gater/ second bend blaster and was unbeaten by an opponent in all the races he finished. Richie and Ludvig have shone so far this season. If they can continue their early season form with Robbo and Christian also scoring well and with our two reserves always capable of doing the biz we can win trophies and titles. Andrew Tully's R/R rides come up trumps with the lads going so well. I only hope that Andrew waits until he is fully recovered before coming back. If he comes back to soon and struggles with fitness the team will suffer. Andrew is a great rider and I wish him well, want to see him ride for us, but please mate take the time it needs to recover fully from your injury as we are coping ok with R/R

I thought Christian Henry was brilliant apart from his fall. He is a gater/ second bend blaster and was unbeaten by an opponent in all the races he finished. Richie and Ludvig have shone so far this season. If they can continue their early season form with Robbo and Christian also scoring well and with our two reserves always capable of doing the biz we can win trophies and titles. Andrew Tully's R/R rides come up trumps with the lads going so well. I only hope that Andrew waits until he is fully recovered before coming back. If he comes back to soon and struggles with fitness the team will suffer. Andrew is a great rider and I wish him well, want to see him ride for us, but please mate take the time it needs to recover fully from your injury as we are coping ok with R/R

Thats right ask Tully to take all season to recover, Newcastle R/R is working well in their favour , when he returns Newcastle will be just as strong as any other team in the league, FACT.

The guys did really well to pull the meeting back . pleased I didn't go obviously a gate & go paradise .

Can't see Redcar beating Newcastle over the two remaining legs in the Micky Mouse Cup so good luck Newcastle in the semis