British Speedway Forum
robert72

Message To The Leicester Promotor

I know its a bit late, but congratulations to Glyn and all involved in getting the Lions v Coventry fixture on. We all know that the weather plays a big part in determining the type of track and hence the racing that is possible and all considered it was a meeting so much better than could be expected under the prevailing conditions.

Also like to add a well done to the riders who put on a good show all round which considering the fact that this was a "friendly" they didnt hold back anywhere near as some other riders have done as witnessed on sky when track conditions were much less challenging.

Job well done to all concerned!

• Like 2

I know its a bit late, but congratulations to Glyn and all involved in getting the Lions v Coventry fixture on. We all know that the weather plays a big part in determining the type of track and hence the racing that is possible and all considered it was a meeting so much better than could be expected under the prevailing conditions.

Also like to add a well done to the riders who put on a good show all round which considering the fact that this was a "friendly" they didnt hold back anywhere near as some other riders have done as witnessed on sky when track conditions were much less challenging.

Nice Post 1 valve.

It is great to get the other viewpoint once in a while.

I can't understand all the negativity on this Thread - AT LEAST YOU HAVE SPEEDWAY!!

We don't at Sunderland and haven't had for FORTY years.

• Like 1

I'm clearly the view white knight doesn't want to read but anyways...

Why were the track conditions challenging on sunday. They didn't look bad at all to me. Whilst he worked hard to get it that way Glyn has also alluded to the fact the track was perfectly fine on a different thread. I'm beginning to think i was at a different meeting altogether.

I'm still genuinely interested in what was wrong with the track last sunday that appear to scupper the racing somewhat, why it was so challenging to ride and what kind of racing wasn't possible with the track prepared as it was? Hurricanes? 1 Valve? someone must know what was actually wrong it. A bit of substance wouldn't go amiss sometimes.

Mick.

Edited by volty

Mick, Please read my original post. Nowhere do I say the track was difficult although I do say it was challenging. To put this into some context. To enable the meeting to go ahead first the track staff removed the layers of material, if they had not done this but merely left alone then the track would have been impossible to ride and no meeting would have taken place. Then they put some new material down in order to provide grip. However as is well known such last minute preparation leaves insufficient time for the track to bed down and given the (weather hit) base to work with only a lighter volume of material could be applied back (otherwise we would have seen the same problem arise that caused postponement of the GP practice at Cardiff this year) this of course meant that once racing commenced the surface soon became slick on the favoured lines whilst others were inconsistent – something no racer likes to deal with.

So as the track went through numerous changes through the meeting from a less than perfect start I think the riders did a great job in what was only a friendly meeting – and (to repeat myself) congratulations once again to Glyn and his team of helpers for getting the meeting on in the first place.

I'm still genuinely interested in what was wrong with the track last sunday that appear to scupper the racing somewhat, why it was so challenging to ride and what kind of racing wasn't possible with the track prepared as it was? Hurricanes? 1 Valve? someone must know what was actually wrong it. A bit of substance wouldn't go amiss sometimes.

Mick.

Mick, Please read my original post. Nowhere do I say the track was difficult although I do say it was challenging. To put this into some context. To enable the meeting to go ahead first the track staff removed the layers of material, if they had not done this but merely left alone then the track would have been impossible to ride and no meeting would have taken place. Then they put some new material down in order to provide grip. However as is well known such last minute preparation leaves insufficient time for the track to bed down and given the (weather hit) base to work with only a lighter volume of material could be applied back (otherwise we would have seen the same problem arise that caused postponement of the GP practice at Cardiff this year) this of course meant that once racing commenced the surface soon became slick on the favoured lines whilst others were inconsistent – something no racer likes to deal with.

So as the track went through numerous changes through the meeting from a less than perfect start I think the riders did a great job in what was only a friendly meeting – and (to repeat myself) congratulations once again to Glyn and his team of helpers for getting the meeting on in the first place.

Mick.

To get the meeting on after all the rain of the previous week, topped off with the absolute deluge we had on the saturday evening, which must have left the track under water was a minor miracle, i think the majority of tracks would have postponed it on sunday morning without even attempting to prepare any type of surface, i think it's very harsh to criticise the lack of passing / excitement . Obviously with Glynn having to take 40 -50 tonnes of dirt off & then to put dry stuff down it left him very little time to prepare the surface how he probably would want to, given ideal weather. Under the very difficult circumstances i was just glad to see some speedway. I didn't think the racing was that bad, certainly no worse than the stuff i've watched on sky this season.

To get the meeting on after all the rain of the previous week, topped off with the absolute deluge we had on the saturday evening, which must have left the track under water was a minor miracle, i think the majority of tracks would have postponed it on sunday morning without even attempting to prepare any type of surface, i think it's very harsh to criticise the lack of passing / excitement . Obviously with Glynn having to take 40 -50 tonnes of dirt off & then to put dry stuff down it left him very little time to prepare the surface how he probably would want to, given ideal weather. Under the very difficult circumstances i was just glad to see some speedway. I didn't think the racing was that bad, certainly no worse than the stuff i've watched on sky this season.

I don't really disagree with any of what you've written other than to say my critisism of the lack of passing / excitement has nothing to do with the issues in getting the track prepared. That was clearly a job of herculian porportions of which i don't doubt. My point is that those herculian efforts left us with a perfectly good track that was pretty much the same as what we get week in, week out and rode pretty much as it does week in, week out. For that reason you cannot blame any lack of action on the preparation.