British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Chris Harris Cardiff Wild Card

I believe Cook should be the wild card, would do the lad a world of good and the way he is gating could of picked up a fair few points. As a moto crosser for some 38 years i can say he does not ride like one at all on a speedway bike ! All speedway riders i know are pretty poor on a motocrosser and certainly cant jump for a toffee.

Give the lad a chance, has to be better than a serial failure who has no chance of ever making in the gp series, past present or future.

ARE you sure? I'm told by some who certainly know what they are talking about that Darcy Ward is sensational on a moto-cross bike. Holder, too. Woffinden, Gollob and a lot more as well.

But the comment was that Cook needs to ride less like a moto-crosser and more like a speedway rider. Also, not sure you can compare his gating prowess against what he would come up against at Cardiff. One wild card appearance wont enhance his career but looking and learning just might.

Just as well give the place to the hot dog seller ! The Dribbles are both well past there sell by date.

Well we could ask what did all those appearances in the GPs over the past couple of years do for Harris.maybe he is the one who should have been looking and learning? That in a sense is the problem with the system or our system.We didn't honestly have a GP standard rider so Chris was the one who was always being thrown to the lions.He probably wanted it and thought he could make it,but it became clear to most it was doing him more harm than good.Same really with Scott before him.Rather than taking some time out they got punch drunk

All done now anyway......but if Darcy is out for too long poor old Dryml ends up in the nightmare situation he was warning about before the season started with fixture clashes.......

Edited by iris123

Everyone is bogged down in "who deserves it" or "earned" it. It is a wildcard, there isn't, and never has been a qualifying process. It is entirely the organisers choice. Recently they have used the British Final to determine the Cardiff place, but there is no obligation to do so.

It seems the selection of Chris Harris as wild card was on a need to know basis.The people who didn't need to know were 1, the riders, as some may have declined to ride in the semi finals(a BSPA fundraiser as Scott Nicholls puts it),2 the fans (most who think it takes away something away from the meeting)and 3 the national team manager who should have been consulted but was in the dark like the rest of us.If this decision was taken last October then it should have been communicated but wasn't until the week before the final to limit the fallout of what was an unpopular decision all round.BSPA havn,t come out of this in a great light Edited by New Science

It seems the selection of Chris Harris as wild card was on a need to know basis.The people who didn't need to know were 1, the riders, as some may have declined to ride in the semi finals(a BSPA fundraiser as Scott Nicholls puts it),2 the fans (most who think it takes away something away from the meeting)and 3 the national team manager who should have been consulted but was in the dark like the rest of us.If this decision was taken last October then it should have been communicated but wasn't until the week before the final to limit the fallout of what was an unpopular decision all round.BSPA havn,t come out of this in a great light

Not really important but it was announced 2 weeks before the final on April 30th.

'Rubblish' says Starman.

So you are claiming Cook, Warrell, Garrity etc are better riders at this point than Chris Harris?

Definately not. But i think its totally wrong, that Harris is given the Wildcard, and the runner up behind Tai at Wolves doesn't go to Cardiff, another balls up by the powers that be.. Becoming British Champion is one thing, but the biggest Carrot must be a place at Cardiff..

Definately not. But i think its totally wrong, that Harris is given the Wildcard, and the runner up behind Tai at Wolves doesn't go to Cardiff, another balls up by the powers that be.. Becoming British Champion is one thing, but the biggest Carrot must be a place at Cardiff..

Have you not understood anything that has been written. The "powers that be" have no say in the wildcard rider. It is in effect at the sole discretion of the GP promoter, in this case BSI.

• Like 1

It's like England having a game at Wembley with the FA having absolute no say whatsoever madness.

It's like England having a game at Wembley with the FA having absolute no say whatsoever madness.

NO quite ... it's like England having a game at Wembley and the Premier League having no say whatsoever

Yes i am sure. I said most speedway riders i know are rubbish on a motocrosser. Indeed gollob is good, as was chris louis and kris ceilgeski with whom i rode. But yours and my opinoin and your man in the know may differ. I know a good rider when i see one regardless of any type of bike being riden.

Cook does not ride like a moto crosser in my opinion and who ever says he does is taliking bull.

He would also learn far more by riding at cardiff than watching which will teach him nothing. Harris will learn nothing as he hasnt in the past, just needs to learn he is not gp standard anymore.

On a side note, i may be 51 but i will give ward and holder a run for their money on a 125 smoker any day of the week. Well maybe lol.

Lets hope bomber gets that engine back of Smolinski before Cardiff. His form is a serious problem, huge banana skin now for both BSI and bomber as if you are averaging just above 6 on this seasons scores in our EL what's he going to do against Lindback, Gollob, Hancock , Emil ?? Hope I am proved wrong but on this form where is he going to score a point??

Hope I am proved wrong but on this form where is he going to score a point??

In the heat with Dryml perhaps.

Niamh

• Like 1

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but what with all the discussion/squabbling over Bombers wild card it appears to have missed everyone that, whilst he has qualified on merit, Ales Dryml will be replacing Darcy at Cardiff.

Must admit, I was umming and arring about going to Cardiff, but this has confirmed my decision to go. The excitement of witnessing an at best 'Elite League' reserve flying around at the back is just too much not to be seen :o

Dryml justifying my decision to attend Cardiff once more :o

I did find it quite funny how Tai said in an interview in Prague that everyone at Cardiff will be there to watch just him - cheeky little dig at Bomber there. Could be fireworks between them at Cardiff :D

• Like 2

I did find it quite funny how Tai said in an interview in Prague that everyone at Cardiff will be there to watch just him - cheeky little dig at Bomber there. Could be fireworks between them at Cardiff :D

Also find it funny that Scott Nicholls, who would have been GP wildcard suing the old British final rule is already out of the GP qualifiers having failed to finish i the top 10 in a pretty weak field!