British Speedway Forum

I was just looking at the pics from Belle Vue's website of their puddles on Monday night and it got me thinking.

https://twitter.com/...9467520/photo/1

When the problem is surface water after heavy rain, and removing the surface water, would allow staff time to preapre a track, would the 'super sopper' machines used in cricket be suitable to take out water from a speedway track surface, like the puddles in the image above? As anyone ever tried those machines on a track?

They may not be suitable for the shale surface, but thought I would ask the question.

I was just looking at the pics from Belle Vue's website of their puddles on Monday night and it got me thinking.

When the problem is surface water after heavy rain, and removing the surface water, would allow staff time to preapre a track, would the 'super sopper' machines used in cricket be suitable to take out water from a speedway track surface, like the puddles in the image above? As anyone ever tried those machines on a track?

They may not be suitable for the shale surface, but thought I would ask the question.

Very good question - but - how much would they cost?

Looking at that farcical picture, the only question that comes to mind is, following the demise of hight street hardware stores, where would one buy a yard brush?

Did Belle Vue genuinely think releasing that picture to the outside world actually put them in a better light?

• Like 1

Think Colin Meridith the Belle vue track man invented the worlds largest hairdryer a few years back,but was never seen in action in a league match,so maybe that was the cause of the burst pipes,ie-colin trying to install it underground and maybe starting it up when they have puddles!!!!

Looking at that farcical picture, the only question that comes to mind is, following the demise of hight street hardware stores, where would one buy a yard brush?

Did Belle Vue genuinely think releasing that picture to the outside world actually put them in a better light?

Whilst I do agree with you, a brush would do the trick the problem with fresh wet shale is that it tends to turn to a jelly like substance when it gets soaked. If you stood on a banked track that was soaking wet there's a great chance you'd slide all the way to the curb with no effort whatsoever

I'm not on BV's side by the way - if this is the true extent of the 'damage' this is nowhere near bad enough to call a meeting off. Brush it off, put some sawdust down. 7 heats later nobody will be riding anywhere near it anyway.

• Like 1

Very good question - but - how much would they cost?

A day's hire charges from the local county cricket club, a low-loader to bring it on...how hard can it be?

A day's hire charges from the local county cricket club, a low-loader to bring it on...how hard can it be?

That doesn't answer the question.

It might work as long as the driving staff didn't miss their flights and arrived on time!!