British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Scott Nicholls Pulls Out Of The World Cup

Sorry, haven't read this thread, so apologies (if repeating)..

Read the Scott Nicholls interview in the Star and agree with everything he says, credit to him for being ever so diplomatic and restrained too !

Quite rightly he points out that the EL has been reduced from 2 x Home and 2 x Away meetings and lost the KO Cup too, the result being for riders (and supporters alike) is a reduction from 40+ meetings per season to 28 - which obviously costs the riders financially !

This probably explains Ed Kennett's temp move to Berwick (mad given his this season's EL average).

Anyway back to Scott and the fact that British riders are not allowed to compete in the (UEM ?) meeting whilst Hans and others are allowed to 'line their pockets' .

The BSPA should be supporting British riders like Scott (and #Rico) and allow them to make a living whilst 'encouraging' such riders to represent (England) Team GB at international level, rather than doing the opposite.

Sadly speedway in the UK seems to exist despite (rather than because of) the efforts of the BSPA .. :sad:

Damn right.

We should allow our homegrown riders EVERY opportunity to earn a living as the powers that be seem to do little or nothing to get them support so it should not be expected that they can't ride wherever they get an opportunity to make some money.

No wonder the sport is on it's belly here in the Uk with these idiots in charge.

Are people really suggesting Kennett? Honestly Have any of you ever seen him against top riders? Look at his SWC and GP record,, look at what eh has done (or not done!) in Sweden and Poland. Look at his record in heat 15 in the EL.

Ed Kennett is not the answer, especially as we're writing off this season and building. Go with Woffy as the experienced rider then go with Cook (althougth oldish, he's improving at an impressive late and is a late starter), Worrall and what the hell, Garrity.

Kennet's been in the form of his life since he moved to Swindon - his average over 2013 so far is over 9 points a meeting - Harris is struggling to hit 7!

That should speak for itself considering that the first round will be in Britain.

Woffinden, Harris, Kennett and King are all in better form than Scott anyway.

Cook is a possibility but would be better off getting some international experience first.

Garrity, Howath, Worrall should form the basis of an u21 team, if that event still exists? (I am guessing Worrall is the right age?).

Otherwise the BSPA should invest in sending them to Denmark, Poland etc to race against representative sides from those countries. I know they would lose but at least they would get some experience.

Woffinden, Harris, Kennett and King are all in better form than Scott anyway.

Cook is a possibility but would be better off getting some international experience first.

Garrity, Howath, Worrall should form the basis of an u21 team, if that event still exists? (I am guessing Worrall is the right age?).

Otherwise the BSPA should invest in sending them to Denmark, Poland etc to race against representative sides from those countries. I know they would lose but at least they would get some experience.

Are you in reality? Cook would be second best at worst, I like Kennett,King,Barker but they have had chances.Cook ,Auty,Worrall,Garrty (ect) have not.

Read the Scott Nicholls interview in the Star and agree with everything he says, credit to him for being ever so diplomatic and restrained too !

Worth mentioning because of the lack of top flight meetings in Sweden. The likes of Jonsson and Lindback ride in the Swedish second tier to help with the bills.

Are you in reality? Cook would be second best at worst, I like Kennett,King,Barker but they have had chances.Cook ,Auty,Worrall,Garrty (ect) have not.

Am I in reality?

You are going to throw Garrity, a first year PL rider in and expect him to score any ponts? Worrall and Auty? They are a long way off world team cup class. Just letting them loose to trail in 50 yards behind is not giving them experience, it is demoralising them. We aren't talking Lee, Carter or Collins here!

The World Cup should be able your four best riders. If Cook, Auty, Worrall and Garrity want experience then they should sign for Polish and Swedish teams, like the young Poles, Danes and Swedes do.

That is the real reason we are miles behind on an international stage. British riders are lazy and/or lack ambition.

• Like 3

The World Cup should be able your four best riders. If Cook, Auty, Worrall and Garrity want experience then they should sign for Polish and Swedish teams, like the young Poles, Danes and Swedes do.

That is the real reason we are miles behind on an international stage. British riders are lazy and/or lack ambition.

Are you in cookoo land or what? total rubbish it is not quite as easy to get places like that in Poland ect) it is very competetive .Cook ,Auty both of them did over 80 meeting,s last season they were hardly lazy Ritchie got injured up untill then he had been very busy.The statement you made is total crap our English lads need encouragement and help Garrity,Ellis, Jacob,s Howarth we have a few who need help.Not surprised because you are hardly keen on Birks who again is talented and he has only had 2 home meeting,s at Swindon and you were moaning.

Am I in reality?

You are going to throw Garrity, a first year PL rider in and expect him to score any ponts? Worrall and Auty? They are a long way off world team cup class. Just letting them loose to trail in 50 yards behind is not giving them experience, it is demoralising them. We aren't talking Lee, Carter or Collins here!

I have never ever mentioned Garrity as a starter but some of the riders with experience Harris,King,Barker, Kennett,, are not much better if at all than the ones you mentioned.Do you want to stick with Harris,Nicholls, ect) forever? you have got to rebuild sometime.As for Lee,Collins,Carter those days are long gone. Edited by sidney

Are you in cookoo land or what? total rubbish it is not quite as easy to get places like that in Poland ect) it is very competetive .Cook ,Auty both of them did over 80 meeting,s last season they were hardly lazy Ritchie got injured up untill then he had been very busy.The statement you made is total crap our English lads need encouragement and help Garrity,Ellis, Jacob,s Howarth we have a few who need help.Not surprised because you are hardly keen on Birks who again is talented and he has only had 2 home meeting,s at Swindon and you were moaning.

Of course it's competitive, it's the strongest league in the world. That's why all the young Poles, Danes and Swedes ride there. Were are the young Brits though? Too busy doubling-up in our semi-professional leagues. And then we wonder why there is no young talent coming through.

And anyway, how is chucking them in an the deep end only for them to get annihilated in the World Cup going to help their progression?

Of course it's competitive, it's the strongest league in the world. That's why all the young Poles, Danes and Swedes ride there. Were are the young Brits though? Too busy doubling-up in our semi-professional leagues. And then we wonder why there is no young talent coming through.

And anyway, how is chucking them in an the deep end only for them to get annihilated in the World Cup going to help their progression?

Semi professional leagues but they get paid they make a living does that not ring a bell?As for getting annihilated the old brigade of GB and the new breed they're would not be a lot of difference anyway saying that you would probably have Harris/Nicholls riding when they are 50.

I think the main point of all this is that Scott highlighted issues with the BSPA.

Lee Richardson did a similar thing.

Surely this tells us that the 'running' of Team GB is rotten to the core and if top riders are not prepared to ride for the national team then something is seriously wrong.

Middlo's comments were telling. He wished Scott well but made no attempt to explain why Scott was not there.

Tai has had issues with these cretins and Rob Lyons got sick of these idiots when he actually had some sort of plan to build up a strong Team GB.

Simply saying the 'Lions will roar' will not give us a decent WTC team as it's patently obvious that they won't as we only have one really decent rider who we can depend on for double figures and he has only come good this season and may be going through a sticky patch by WTC time.

The rest are hot and cold at best and hopeless at worst.

We have a strong group to negotiate and even the most optimistic would surely not give us 2nd at best, even around Kings Lynn, without Scott.

I doubt he would have been picked anyhow .

Good point.

Better to make yourself unavailable rather than not get selected.

(Did Middlo not give him the option to fall on his sword?)

Edited by pugwash

Semi professional leagues but they get paid they make a living does that not ring a bell?As for getting annihilated the old brigade of GB and the new breed they're would not be a lot of difference anyway saying that you would probably have Harris/Nicholls riding when they are 50.

I have no problem with them making a living, but if earning money is their first priority over the ambition of being the best possible rider they can be, then I don't think they should get a free ride into Team GB.

• Like 1

I have no problem with them making a living, but if earning money is their first priority over the ambition of being the best possible rider they can be, then I don't think they should get a free ride into Team GB.

If you asked those riders what they did, would they say they were full time speedway riders?There are not many places going abroad and if you are a double upper you will find it hard fitting meeting,s around Britain.The problem is it is not now not riding against the better opposition it is not having the grounding from a young age.Can young Brits get to practice 3/4 days a week like the Poles and other nations.?