British Speedway Forum

Lindgren is a pathetic choice. Only once in his gp career has he made the final eight. Another wild card, seriously? Shocking. As dull as dishwater and was way down the pecking order in the Poland and Sweden averages with exciting young talent like Dudek and MJJ above him. Hes decent enough in the UK but apart from that is medicore at best on the continent.

Jonsson I can kind of understand, he missed a few rounds few injury. It was only two years ago he was world number 2. A very exciting rider and is still world class in the leagues. Last chance saloon for him I would say, I can accept his wild card.

Gollob deserves his, as much as he was not interested at times hes been one of the top riders in the world for well over a decade and is exciting as well. If he doesnt make the top 8 this season then I would say goodbye though.

Holder is an obvious choice.

Disgusted that Lindgren got another selection. Should of gone to MJJ. He is higher in the top two leagues in world speedway, IMO is more exciting, is younger, more potential and has impressed in his wild card showings, even winning one. So what if it was his home GP, despite being WC three times Nicki P still hasnt one a Danish GP in his career. Home GPS mean sod all.

Ridiculous statement!

Riss, Dugard , MJJ, Zmarlik, Miedzinski, Jonasson, Franc, and im sure there are many others that ive missed. These riders performed above their ability in the gp as it was in their own country on tracks they knew.

As for Lindgren i agree with you on that one.

Regarding home GPs Lindgren won his in Gothenburg & a large percentage of Gollob's wins have been in Poland

Laguta, MJJ or Dudek would have added some spice into the 2014 series. Lindgren and Jonsson will add nothing, and will be odds on to finish outside the top 8 again. Very disappointing...

Laguta, MJJ or Dudek would have added some spice into the 2014 series. Lindgren and Jonsson will add nothing, and will be odds on to finish outside the top 8 again. Very disappointing...

How quickly you Brits forget all the years the rest of the speedway world had to watch Harris and Nicholls getting a wild card year after year. So you shouldn't really say anything.

• Like 4

I understand what you are saying and agree but you never know what might happen.

Gollob was seemingly past it when he won.

Nobody would have predicted Tai winning it or Iversen 3rd so i will reserve judgement.

That said i cant see either making top 8

This asking info was from this same thread about a week ago, relied on a polish portal that eventually had 3 from 4 correct...

This asking info was from this same thread about a week ago, relied on a polish portal that eventually had 3 from 4 correct...

Tony Olsson saying for Race magazine in Sweden that Laguta was never even asked, just Polish sites stirring...

http://www.racemagazine.se/tony-olsson-om-wc-tilldelningen-vi-var-overens-tidigt/

Edited by f-s-p

How quickly you Brits forget all the years the rest of the speedway world had to watch Harris and Nicholls getting a wild card year after year. So you shouldn't really say anything.

The GP should involve the worlds top 15 riders, irrespective of where they come from. I have always said that...

What is Harris doing at no19?

Was'nt he just a wild card at Poole? I thought he'd already been knocked out in an earlier qualifier or did he qualify as reserve for Poole?

What is Harris doing at no19?

Was'nt he just a wild card at Poole? I thought he'd already been knocked out in an earlier qualifier or did he qualify as reserve for Poole?

He was and the in the Challenge he finished as 2nd reserve for the series. One thing worth noting is that only 3 qualified subs for next season giving the organizers a bit of room for passing candidates not good enough..."Should any more riders be required as substitutes during the 2014 season, the SGP Commission will nominate the rider."

• Like 1

No he came in as a late 'replacement'. Strange though as I believe a German rider was next in line.

Daniel King was the wildcard. Chris Harris got knocked out the qualifiers in the first round in Sankt Johann in Austria with a 13th place...

• Like 1

No he came in as a late 'replacement'. Strange though as I believe a German rider was next in line.

Daniel King was the wildcard. Chris Harris got knocked out the qualifiers in the first round in Sankt Johann in Austria with a 13th place...

Yes, that's how it went. But still I think he was as wild as Andreas Jonsson in the series... :rofl:

• Like 1

As I thought ... he shouldnt be anywhere near a GP next year let alone a reserve !!!

• Like 1

Ridiculous statement!

Riss, Dugard , MJJ, Zmarlik, Miedzinski, Jonasson, Franc, and im sure there are many others that ive missed. These riders performed above their ability in the gp as it was in their own country on tracks they knew.

As for Lindgren i agree with you on that one.

I read little into racing on tracks they know at gp level.... How many times do you hear that their riding on tracks they know well yet never perform??

Mjj would be a fine addition to the series hes proven he can win gps , put in top performances in the swc and is higher than lindgren in sweden and poland

• Like 1

<quote>

As I thought ...  he shouldnt be anywhere near a GP next year let alone a reserve !!!</quote>

Not sure I agree. We all said that that Woffy was not up to it a year ago and look what happened! Harris as shown he can, on his day, mix it with the GP boys, and did win a GP, so I don't see any harm him being considered for reserve. Is there more suitable candidates for reserve? More than likely, but to say Harris should not be near a GP is a little unfair.

Edited by TheReturn

No he came in as a late 'replacement'. Strange though as I believe a German rider was next in line. Daniel King was the wildcard. Chris Harris got knocked out the qualifiers in the first round in Sankt Johann in Austria with a 13th place...

Zagar pulling out at the very last minute (meaning a more deserving rider couldn't travel to Poole in time), the German's, who were next in line, complaining they weren't even asked to nominate a rider, and low and behold Mr Wildcard himself, Chris Harris, given a free ride into the final, despite bombing out spectacularly in the first round.
None of the expense of going to the other rounds, none of the effort, but a nice charity pick to the final and he finds himself as first reserve after a half decent meeting on one of his favourite tracks. As I said elsewhere, it's not his fault he gets offered this charity year after year (nor is it Lindgren's), but it does make him look like a bit of a chancer.
The sad thing is, in every other respect, Harris would be a popular rider. Against similar opposition he can be wildly exciting and he appears to give his all to whichever team he rides for. Instead of respect for those attributes, like Lindgren, he has become irksome and the subject of ridicule. Shame.
JT.
Edited by JT