British Speedway Forum

I can't believe anyone on here thinks they actually know better than Phil in terms of the correct protocol having been followed regarding rider selection and nomination. He has said several times what the procedure was and the sequence of events that occurred, but of course those who have their own agenda (slating Harris, or promoting the virtue of their own favourite) will argue black is white that they weren't followed. Truth is, you have no idea and I would take his word over any body else's here any day of the week.

And why does anyone think that the FIM should make us all privy to their rules and protocols? Do you understand or have access to all the rules the FIA have for say, F1? Probably not. Why is this any different? Good on Phil for being prepared to put the facts on here, because he isn't obliged to.

I'm laughing so hard I think I lost my sleep for tonight... :rofl::lol:

I can't believe anyone on here thinks they actually know better than Phil in terms of the correct protocol having been followed regarding rider selection and nomination. He has said several times what the procedure was and the sequence of events that occurred, but of course those who have their own agenda (slating Harris, or promoting the virtue of their own favourite) will argue black is white that they weren't followed. Truth is, you have no idea and I would take his word over any body else's here any day of the week.

And why does anyone think that the FIM should make us all privy to their rules and protocols? Do you understand or have access to all the rules the FIA have for say, F1? Probably not. Why is this any different? Good on Phil for being prepared to put the facts on here, because he isn't obliged to.

Reality is, Harris was prepared to front up at Poole and stand and watch from the pits, regardless of getting a ride or not, when many, many others clearly weren't. Their problem (and some of yours), not his. Fair play to him for being prepared to turn up with potentially nothing to show for it apart from a long drive home after not racing.

You can debate the issue as long as you like, but the riders you refer to (and many others) turned the position down in the first instance and then like many on here, bleated after the event. I don't see how any of them can complain if they turned it down because they didn't think they would get a place in the main meeting and then, when Zagar withdrew, they wanted a place. Now very genuine of them.

Not one of you can criticise Harris in all honesty. He wanted to be there and was, when others couldn't be bothered to make the effort and good luck to him. I'll be cheering him on in Cardiff, even if he scores five last places. Just as I will all the other riders, because they all deserve our support, not our criticism.

If you don't like the fact that he is included, blame the farce that is the wild card system in the first place. Riders should have to qualify for a place in the world championship in my view, not be handed a place because they have had some misfortune along the way. I have nothing against, say Chris Holder, who was a worthy champion and will probably be champion again, but injuries and the like are part of this great sport of ours and you have to take the rough with the smooth. It's called life.

Did Ole Olsen get special treatment in 76, Peter Collins in 78, Hans Nielsen in 92, Gary Havelock in 94 along with many others who have fallen by the wayside in World Championship qualifying rounds over the years for a variety of reasons including injury, mechanical issues or whatever? No. You either qualified or you didn't and if you didn't you tried again the next year. I used to love the qualification rounds for the championship and attended many, many meetings of that ilk over the years and there was always a big name or two that failed to get through one round or another when you felt they were nailed on to qualify. It was part of the beauty of the competition and its a great shame it still isn't that way for my money, because you at least had 16 riders on the big night, ALL of whom had earns the right to be there. As it is, five of them, yes including Harris, if you like, have been handed their place rather than earning it.

I'm very much behind the Bomber for the GPs campaign and can't wait to get up at 3am or whatever it is to shout at my tele for him during the first GP in March but this post did amuse me.

I can't believe anyone on here thinks they actually know better than Phil in terms of the correct protocol having been followed regarding rider selection and nomination. He has said several times what the procedure was and the sequence of events that occurred, but of course those who have their own agenda (slating Harris,

Ooh er missus!!!!!Who rattled your cage?

If we are dealing in facts,then to go by past experience Phil has also got things wrong on the odd occasion.Sure he will even hold his hand up to that.Generally two sides to a story and the other side seems to indicate something a bit dodgy has happened here.We'll probably never get to the bottom of it,unless Phil writes a book blowing the lid off what happens inside speedway.I had a feeling the respected journalist John Chaplin was thinking about doing something similar.....

And for me this has nothing to do with Harris and all to do with the FIM

• Like 2

Ooh er missus!!!!!Who rattled your cage?

If we are dealing in facts,then to go by past experience Phil has also got things wrong on the odd occasion.Sure he will even hold his hand up to that.Generally two sides to a story and the other side seems to indicate something a bit dodgy has happened here.We'll probably never get to the bottom of it,unless Phil writes a book blowing the lid off what happens inside speedway.I had a feeling the respected journalist John Chaplin was thinking about doing something similar.....

And for me this has nothing to do with Harris and all to do with the FIM

I would add that some people are happy to muddy the water by confusing track/meeting reserves and the accepted next in line call-up in case of withdrawl-we are not talking about a mickey mouse meeting here-this is a final with all 16 competitors 5 rides away from the GP series. yes with FIM meetings local federation riders are often called in at the last moment for missing riders-however I for one are still sceptical that the FIM did everything they could have done to fill Zagar`s place with a "qualified " next in line rider.

• Like 4

I can't believe anyone on here thinks they actually know better than Phil in terms of the correct protocol having been followed regarding rider selection and nomination. He has said several times what the procedure was and the sequence of events that occurred, but of course those who have their own agenda (slating Harris, or promoting the virtue of their own favourite) will argue black is white that they weren't followed.

I've no idea what the actual facts are in this matter, and I usually take the view that cock-up is more likely than conspiracy. However, I don't think he's ever taken a position that's contrary with anything put out by those involved with the SGP organisation, and is certainly selective with what gets communicated.

Fair enough, in this case a fairly plausible explanation of the procedure has been provided, and there does seem to be a degree of independent verification. Harris turned-up where others didn't or couldn't and took his chance, so whilst it's a rather depressing state of affairs, you can hardly blame the rider.

And why does anyone think that the FIM should make us all privy to their rules and protocols? Do you understand or have access to all the rules the FIA have for say, F1? Probably not.

Of course a sporting body should be publishing their rules, and particularly for their premier competitions should have clear protocols as to who qualifies in what circumstances - precisely to avoid arguments and debates like this.

Yes, the FIA does actually publish all its sporting and technical regulations online, and certainly for the F1 sporting regulations I have quite a good understanding of them. However, even if I didn't, I could easily go and look up the relevant regulation if necessary.

Good on Phil for being prepared to put the facts on here, because he isn't obliged to.

His company has some commercial relationship with the SGP organisers, so whilst I agree it's useful to get the (semi-)official position on things of interest, it cannot be considered an entirely impartial source.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Whilst I imagine the thirty or so riders ahead of Harris in the qualifying rounds will be seriously disgruntled, the 14 other full time riders will be very happy with one less world class rider in the series. Even though Gollob was inconsistent towards the end, at least he was a threat when he felt in the mood. Harris was average to dire the last time he was in the GP's and his form has dropped even further since then.

The big question is why did they ask Gollob in the first place? There were strong rumours he was going to bail out after his injury. Now the series has been weakened both on and off track. A blockbuster icon replaced by a journeyman who isn't even in the Polish Elite League. A massive cock up.

Good luck to Harris, it isn't his fault, but it's a shame we miss the opportunity to see an exciting up and coming rider instead.

JT.

• Like 3

What a very poor choice to put Harris back in. He could not even beat reserves last year and is a worse rider than the last time he was gifted a wild card. SGP really is becoming a joke.

It's good, but he shouldn't be there. He failed to get through the first round and fluked the wild card for the final challenge.

Don't agree with it personally but nothing will change it now

Whilst I imagine the thirty or so riders ahead of Harris in the qualifying rounds will be seriously disgruntled, the 14 other full time riders will be very happy with one less world class rider in the series. Even though Gollob was inconsistent towards the end, at least he was a threat when he felt in the mood. Harris was average to dire the last time he was in the GP's and his form has dropped even further since then.

The big question is why did they ask Gollob in the first place? There were strong rumours he was going to bail out after his injury. Now the series has been weakened both on and off track. A blockbuster icon replaced by a journeyman who isn't even in the Polish Elite League. A massive cock up.

Good luck to Harris, it isn't his fault, but it's a shame we miss the opportunity to see an exciting up and coming rider instead.

JT.

GOLLOB was asked in respect of his record since 1995, his massive contribution to the SGP and the fact that through his manager he made it known that he was anxious for another crack at the WC. The major reason behind his withdrawal is his loss of his Monster sponsorship, which he obviously didn't know about at the time of campaigning for a wild card.

GOLLOB was asked in respect of his record since 1995, his massive contribution to the SGP and the fact that through his manager he made it known that he was anxious for another crack at the WC. The major reason behind his withdrawal is his loss of his Monster sponsorship, which he obviously didn't know about at the time of campaigning for a wild card.

I think he did. The fact I heard this in October in Torun and that Tai would replace him. Then Tai had the Monster bottle in his first interview as world champ suggests he may have knew what was going on

• Like 1

Could it be that he was in a way forced out?This is just me speculating,but of course FIM,BSI + Monster are all fairly close.Once it became known Gollob was still going to maintain contact,indeed ride in the SEC could it have been seen as detrimental to the GP competition to have a Monster rider in the rival series?

Could it be that he was in a way forced out?This is just me speculating,but of course FIM,BSI + Monster are all fairly close.Once it became known Gollob was still going to maintain contact,indeed ride in the SEC could it have been seen as detrimental to the GP competition to have a Monster rider in the rival series?

WAY off target. Don't think Monster's decision was taken as early as markw40 suggests above but no influence from BSI or FIM.