British Speedway Forum

IT wasn't a lackadaisical response. I was pointing out that the German Federation can legitimately ask the question about Dilger and expect the CCP Secretary at the FIM to be much more forthcoming to them than he would be to Speedway Star.

It is not a question of siding with the establishment. I think you will find both the FIM and the BSPA for example don't see SS as instinctively towing the party line. Quite the opposite in fact.

• Like 1

I agree it's frustrating that people take the 'party line' as gospel. I think it's great fans are happy Harris has yet another season in the GP, good for them. It's the way he got there that I have a big problem with.

Telling people to 'stop whinging' and 'accept Harris is in the GP's' totally misses the point. Through favoritism (whether it's his nationality, or someone high up just really likes Chris Harris, you can't look at his history of Wild Cards and say he hasn't had preferential treatment) he found himself at the Grand Prix Challenge, ahead of more deserving candidates. We were told those higher up in the chain were asked, but simply refused their place or 'couldn't be arsed'.

Out of curiosity, I sent an e-mail to one of those riders and within two hours got an e-mail back. Hardly Woodward and Bernstein, but Max Dilger's answer does raise interesting questions about the FIM procedures. Remarking 'if the German's have a problem, they should contact Geneva' is a somewhat lackadaisical response from a journalist (see below). From my conversation with Dilger, it seems the FIM were contacted after Poole, but no response was forthcoming. But that's one side of the story, and as Phil say's, the FIM are hardly going to divulge their correspondence with us mere mortals.

In fairness to Phil, he's running a magazine (and printing programmes) for what is essentially a minority sport. Speedway is a small world and any exposé, however interesting, would likely jeopardise his business. I can't blame him for siding on the establishment, after all it's The Speedway Star, not TIME magazine! BUT that shouldn't stop us discussing the topic, which I think is quite an important one.

JT.

It is an important topic - I agree.

It also shows how unfair (I nearly said corrupt - but I can't prove it) things are in the SGP - they just pick who they like. I'm sorry but I hate dodgy practices - it seems, reading Max Dilger's contribution, that something very odd has gone on, very odd indeed.

I apportion NO blame at all to Chris Harris for all of this. He is a professional Speedway Rider who took the chance offered to him. Which one of us would not have done the same?

Good luck to him - I hope he does well.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

It is not a question of siding with the establishment. I think you will find both the FIM and the BSPA for example don't see SS as instinctively towing the party line. Quite the opposite in fact.

That's good to know.

JT.

If BSI/FIM were as keen as some suggest to have Bomber in the GPs what explanation do the conspiracy theorists have as to why they didn't just pick him in the first place?

Niamh

If BSI/FIM were as keen as some suggest to have Bomber in the GPs what explanation do the conspiracy theorists have as to why they didn't just pick him in the first place?

Niamh

Might make it too obvious - perhaps.

• Like 1

Niamh

I am not claiming any Consipiracy theories,i also have nothing against Chris Harris,he competed in the Poole meeting and now finds himself back in the GP`S and I hope he does well. Everyone should know this was a FIM meeting and nothing to do with BSI.

However I do feel there are legimate questions that can be asked about the FIM handling of Zagar`s withdrawl-As far as I know they should have asked ALL the non-qualifiers from the Lonigo semi-final in turn(through the riders federation) if they were able to ride in the meeting. Zagar pulled out we know on the Thursday(maybe sooner-we just don`t know) Practice wasn`t until Saturday morning-so not insurmountable for one of the following riders(in order) to say yes I will be there. Pavlic,Buczkowski,Dilger,Voldrih,Woodward,Jamrog,Benko;Franchetti and Magosi.

Maybe the FIM rules say different-we just don`t know-but it would be good to get clarification.

Yes and the way Harris got in the meeting as second reserve. Kildemand (previous second reserve) was replacing Loktaev so they had to get a rider from the Holsted race-off instead of Harris and this was known 4 (!!) days before the event.

Might make it too obvious - perhaps.

Exactly!

Woffinden probably received a wild card last year because they ran out of excuses for giving them to Harris (and needed at least one British rider for TV reasons). After all, Harris received a series wild card in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012, but only ever qualified by right on one occasion after a freakishly good end to 2011. Not even Alistair Campbell could spin another series wild card for Harris after his showing in 2012.

Lets face it, they couldn't have made it any easier for him this year;

• Cardiff Wild Card without needing to win his place at the British Final
  • Grand Prix Challenge in Poole, one of his favourite tracks.
  • Despite bombing out of the first round, he was essentially given a wild card for the Grand Prix Challenge as it seems others ahead of him weren't asked. I acknowledge FIM organised the Challenge, but does anyone seriously think BSI and FIM don't talk?

Why would they side with Harris? Well he did BSI (and British Speedway) a massive favour by winning Cardiff in 2007. Post Loram, we were hardly flush with world beaters. Harris' win changed all that. It gave them a rider to focus their marketing on and an event to repeat on TV for years. If anything BSI have been dining off Cardiff 2007 for longer than Harris! Do you think if Harris was Polish he would have featured in the GP's in the first place, yet alone received so many wild cards?

Now they've got their way, with two Brits in the series, and thanks to his 5th place in a meeting he probably shouldn't have been in, a 'legitimate' reason for giving him a place in the series.

Again none of this is Harris fault, he even appears to acknowledge he's been very, very lucky. Good on him for capitalising on it. On a positive note, now the media focus will shift to Woffinden, I actually think Harris will benefit from less exposure and less pressure.

JT.

Edited by JT

And just imagine having to "fix" the meeting so he finished 5th and was thus 1st reserve for the GPs!

Come on!

Niamh

And just imagine having to "fix" the meeting so he finished 5th and was thus 1st reserve for the GPs!

Come on!

Niamh

Come on! You've totally misinterpreted my post. :lol:

I'm not even remotely insinuating the Grand Prix Challenge meeting itself was a fix. Harris himself has acknowledged he was given a golden opportunity and capitalised on it after a decent performance. He was asked to ride at Poole and he took advantage, finishing fifth. Enough to get him in the GP's this season. Again, good for him. If I was him, I wouldn't ask any questions either.

It's the fact that Harris was even in the meeting at all that I find suspicious.

JT.

IT wasn't a lackadaisical response. I was pointing out that the German Federation can legitimately ask the question about Dilger and expect the CCP Secretary at the FIM to be much more forthcoming to them than he would be to Speedway Star.

I think these are precisely the questions the 'speedway media' should be asking of the authorities and it would happen in other sports. Indeed, I'd try to speak to all involved parties in the matter to get their perspective, which is what journalists used to do.

Of course the CCP Coordinator or the FIM Communications Department should be prepared to deal with enquiries from the media, and should have an explanation as to why certain actions were taken. They may be perfectly reasonable reasons behind a particular course of action, but in the modern world a professional executive should expect to be accountable to its membership and to some extent the trade media.

I can't believe this would take a lot of effort in the age of e-mail, Facebook and Twitter.

They must be very sensitive indeed, and it's lucky that speedway doesn't have any sort of public profile as I don't know they'd cope if the likes of Andrew Jennings ever got interested in the sport.

I've very rarely read anything but the mildest of criticism in the journal of record, nor anything that takes a contrary line to the official version of events. I accept that given the nature of the sport you have to tread a bit of fine line on what can be said, but you're now much less reliant on track sales and things can much more easily be found out through Internet channels if the powers-that-be take umbrage.

Everyone should know this was a FIM meeting and nothing to do with BSI.

Well yes, but do we really believe that BSI have no influence with the FIM given what they pay them?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

Kennett was asked but declined.

Was North asked? He was next in line after Kennett (Holsted race-off) .... I assume Kroner wasn't asked as they couldn't be bothered to call the DMSB.

I think these are precisely the questions the 'speedway media' should be asking of the authorities and it would happen in other sports. Indeed, I'd try to speak to all involved parties in the matter to get their perspective, which is what journalists used to do.

Of course the CCP Coordinator or the FIM Communications Department should be prepared to deal with enquiries from the media, and should have an explanation as to why certain actions were taken. They may be perfectly reasonable reasons behind a particular course of action, but in the modern world a professional executive should expect to be accountable to its membership and to some extent the trade media.

I can't believe this would take a lot of effort in the age of e-mail, Facebook and Twitter.

They must be very sensitive indeed, and it's lucky that speedway doesn't have any sort of public profile as I don't know they'd cope if the likes of Andrew Jennings ever got interested in the sport.

I've very rarely read anything but the mildest of criticism in the journal of record, nor anything that takes a contrary line to the official version of events. I accept that given the nature of the sport you have to tread a bit of fine line on what can be said, but you're now much less reliant on track sales and things can much more easily be found out through Internet channels if the powers-that-be take umbrage.

Well yes, but do we really believe that BSI have no influence with the FIM given what they pay them?

NOT as far as the Challenge and its qualification process is concerned. Why should they (BSI)?