British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badge

Ipswich Witches V Plymouth Devils Lc Thursday 23rd May 2013

No Ben Barker for us in this meeting, the very busy Craig Cook coming in as our guest No 1

http://ipswichwitches.co/

I thought last week was going to be a stuffing and it wasn't, we struggled against a 3 man team for the majority of the meeting, but surely this week should see us hitting nearly 60. Should be a bumper pay day for cook. And if morten carries on his great from and other riders put who own them first, they should score plenty as well. Expecting a very small crowd, it's getting lower week on week, last week was very poor.

• Like 1

This is first instance of missing Ben due to Birminghams fixture taking priority. A rule that seems fair enough to me in principle.

I think we could have gone with r/r and still been strong enough to win this and gain max points in order to qualify for the semis.

Will go for theWitches to pick up 57 points.

I think Cook is a good choice of guest as Doyle is obviously busy with Birmingham ( not that im sure he would want to ride here again after his confrontation with Morten )

Hopefully this should be plain sailing into the cup semi where we will find much more difficult opposition !

As it's already a rearrangement lets hope the weather is kind and we get this one out of the way .

I thought last week was going to be a stuffing and it wasn't, we struggled against a 3 man team for the majority of the meeting, but surely this week should see us hitting nearly 60. Should be a bumper pay day for cook. And if morten carries on his great from and other riders put who own them first, they should score plenty as well. Expecting a very small crowd, it's getting lower week on week, last week was very poor.

There's nothing wrong with the team or the track at Foxhall these days, so i can only assume it's the cold weather keeping a few fans away. But compared to (certain) other tracks, our crowds are holding up reasonably well. Last season we only had one Thursday night when i didn't need a jacket, the lovely weather brought the fans out that night, and i'm sure if the weather warms up, the fair weather fans will come out. Speedway is a summer sport, a lot of people dont like standing around for 2 hours for 15 mins action in chilly temperatures.

Agree with mostly what you say Baldyman as usual except I doubt we will win easily, as the Witches riders cannot be relied upon to give 100% when riding for the Witches. Rohan seems preoccupied with his efforts for Poole more than for us and it really showed last week when he was passed 3 times. Lanham has his mind on finishing his career with the Witches, which surely is very near and riding around the white line and taking the safe easy option. Ritchie who is only here for the very short term, obviously only on old equipment and has not won a race since riding for the Witches.

That leaves the 4 riders who can be relied on to give 100% effort but one of those is missing Ben but Cook should be a good replacement.

Yes the attendances are dropping each week as the fans are fed up of seeing second rate riders week in week out and the same opposition so far mostly. The novelty has worn off of new teams and the reality has set in of the riders they are seeing every week and they are deciding to stay away and save their hard earned cash and who can blame them. There are not many fans left who will watch any kind of speedway no matter at what level and many who would are getting very elderly and many not with us any more. The young element are fast disappearing as can be seen very obviously every week and they are the future of Ipswich speedway and they need attracting back by re-entering the Elite League, so they can once again see the top riders like, Andersen, Holder, Ward etc etc.

Aljack, what planet are you on? There will not be an elite league next season in it's current form. Sky will either pull the plug, or offer a vastly reduced contract. Unless of course you think that elite league clubs can just brush off a hit of £100,000 (ish) each and still employ the current 2nd rate international stars (Holder,Ward & a couple of others apart) that they currently do.

Edited by spanner47
  • Like 1

Aljack, what planet are you on? There will not be an elite league next season in it's current form. Sky will either pull the plug, or offer a vastly reduced contract. Unless of course you think that elite league clubs can just brush off a hit of £100,000 (ish) each and still employ the current 2nd rate international stars (Holder,Ward & a couple of others apart) that they currently do.

Well spanner47 (Mr King) you seem to have a crystal ball and can see into the future and know all about whats going to happen, very very clever of you!!! :blink:

Or are you just one of these know-it-all and actually know nothing forum users? :t:

There's nothing wrong with the team or the track at Foxhall these days, so i can only assume it's the cold weather keeping a few fans away. But compared to (certain) other tracks, our crowds are holding up reasonably well. Last season we only had one Thursday night when i didn't need a jacket, the lovely weather brought the fans out that night, and i'm sure if the weather warms up, the fair weather fans will come out. Speedway is a summer sport, a lot of people dont like standing around for 2 hours for 15 mins action in chilly temperatures.

Its just as likely to be the cost, a family of four is a minimum 40 quid. Under 13's should not have to pay, this might encourage more parents to attend and snag some young fans of the future.
  • Like 1

People keep making excuses for why the crowds are down, but they keep going down, there is less people there every week nearly, I don't know why, but I really don't think it's the weather. More likely to be cost or value for money. Apart from season ticket holders, it would be interesting to know how many people actually pay to get in. I would have said even the bank holiday meeting just gone was also lower than in previous seasons.

Me too. But what I meant was are pay on the day fans dropping in numbers or season ticket holder numbers dropping or maybe both.