British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Saints V Milton Keynes Knights - Monday, May 27th

DANNY PHILLIPS TURNS ON THE STYLE AS SAINTS RUN RAMPANT – LIAM CARR HURT

SCUNTHORPE SAINTS 57 MILTON KEYNES KNIGHTS 20 – ABANDONED AFTER 13 RACES – RESULT TO STAND (NATIONAL LEAGUE CHALLENGE)

DANNY PHILLIPS sent out a clear message to National League bosses at the Eddie Wright Raceway yesterday afternoon (Bank Holiday Monday) – come and sign me!

The 16-year-old, who was a regular for the Scunthorpe Saints in the 2012 National League, showed both pace and a good racing head, as was unbeaten by an opponent. The Saints scored a comprehensive 57-20 victory over the Milton Keynes Knights, in a challenge match sadly curtailed by a suspected broken leg to youngster Liam Carr.

Carr was also flying, and both he and Phillips had 8 paid 9 from three rides heading into Heat 14.

Carr nudged the tapes in the first attempt to stage the race, gaining a 15-metre handicap for the re-run. With Phillips out in front, Arron Mogridge (son of former rider Alan) hit the deck on the third turn, and Carr clipped him, before ploughing into the Eddie Wright Raceway air fence at high speed.

With Carr needing medical attention and one of the air bags punctured, referee Jim Lawrence called a halt to what had been an entertaining contest, despite the lopsided scoreline.

The Saints scored nine 5-1s, plus a 5-0 in Heat 8, after Ethan Ballentyne suffered an engine failure at the tapes and Mogridge then collected Lee Geary on the first corner.

Both Max Clegg and New Zealander Hayden Sims came from behind to take a 5-1 in Heat 6. Clegg (like Danny Phillips, a 2012 Saint) and Sims both ended on paid 11.

But the best race was Heat 11 – a real cracker. Mogridge was the early leader, but soon passed by Matt Williamson and Phillips. Tamas Sike, in as a tactical ride, then thrust himself around Phillips after two laps, only to drift wide on third turn of lap 3 and Phillips roared back through. The final lap saw Sike throw everything at Phillips, but the 16-year-old held him off.

The Saints scored solidly down their order. Williamson (who rides for Buxton in the NL) fell in his opening ride, but showed plenty of pace to remain unbeaten in his last three riders. Brendan Johnson likewise put a poor first ride behind him and registered the fastest time (60.50) in Heat 5.

Lee Geary only dropped points to the Knights in Heat 4, and produced a great ride in Heat 12, storming from third to first.

For the Knights (2012 champions of the second half Midland Development League), this was their first full match for 21 years and a day, since the final staged meeting at their former Elfield Park home.

Sike seemingly had Heat 1 in the bag for them, only to fall on the final circuit.

Two of their Aussie trio, Kyle Ballentyne & Dan Winchester both won a race. But machinery trouble for Sike and Kyle & Ethan Ballentyne left the Knights scrabbling around for functioning bikes.

Post-match quotes:

Rebecca Parnaby (Saints’ team manager) -

“The sad news is that Liam Carr has a suspected broken left leg. We think he may have broken his femur.

“It was such a massive shame for the meeting to end like that. It’s the second time on the trot that we’ve had a Saints’ meeting come to an unfortunate halt due to one of the riders being injured. It’s a pity because the lads just want to ride as much as possible.

“All the lads riding for us did so well today. It was a brilliant overall performance.

“If everyone went to plan, I was planning to put Danny Phillips and Liam Carr in Heat 15. Not only because they had done so well, but also because they don’t have National League team places and they need every ride they can get. And you don’t know who is watching and seeing things.

“Danny has matured so much from last year. He’s so much more confident. It showed in his ride with Tamas Sike in Heat 11. Last year, he would have been intimidated when another rider started to throw himself around like that. But Danny just stuck with him and ended up beating him.

“It’s a shame Danny hasn’t got a National League team place this year. But he’s performing now, and it would be nice if he, at least, got a few guest bookings.”

Danny Phillips -

“I’m happy with that. I had some speed and was also harder in the first corners than last year.

“I’m disappointed I’m not in the National League at the moment. But it’s also been a good thing, because I’ve been able to spend time practising and learn how to start and ride first bends.”

Full scorers:

Scunthorpe Saints 57 – Max Clegg 10+1 (4), Hayden Sims 8+3 (4), Brendan Johnson 7+2 (4), Liam Carr 8+1 (3) (PAID MAXIMUM), Matt Williamson 8+1 (4), Danny Phillips 8+1 (3) (PAID MAXIMUM), Lee Geary 8+2 (4).

Milton Keynes Knight 20 – Tamas Sike 2 (3) (incl. 1-point tactical ride), Ethan Ballentyne 1 (3), Shane Waldron 2+1 (4) (incl. 0-point tactical ride), Dan Winchester 6 (3), Kyle Ballentyne 3 (2), Lee Springthorpe 3 (6), Arron Mogridge 3+1 (5).

1: Clegg, Sims, E Ballentyne, Sike (fell. excluded), awarded - no time (5-1) (5-1).

2: Phillips, Geary, Springthorpe, Mogridge (penalised 15m for touching tapes, then fell), 62.4 (5-1) (10-2).

3: Carr, Winchester, Waldron, Johnson, 62.10 (3-3) (13-5)

4: (Re-run) K Ballentyne, Mogridge, Geary, Williamson (fell, remounted), 63.51 (1-5) (14-10).

5: Johnson, Carr, Springthorpe (fell, remounted), E Ballentyne (penalised 15m for exceeding two minutes, then fell, remounted), Sike (excluded, two minutes), 60.50 (5-1) (19-11).

6: Clegg, Sims, Springthorpe, K Ballentyne (ret), 61.29 (5-1) (24-12).

7: Phillips, Williamson, Winchester, WALDRON (TR), 60.82 (5-1) (29-13).

8: (re-run) Sims, Geary, Mogridge (fell, excluded), E Ballentyne (excluded, not under power), 61.49(5-0) (34-13).

9: Carr, Johnson, Mogridge, Springthorpe, 62.41 (5-1) (39-14).

10: Winchester, Clegg, Sims, Waldron, 62.35 (3-3) (42-17).

11: (re-run) Williamson, Phillips, SIKE (TR), Mogridge (fell), 63.00 (5-1) (47-18)

12: Geary, Johnson, Waldron, Springthorpe, 63.91 (5-1) (52-19)

13: Williamson, Clegg, Sike, Springthorpe, 61.44 (5-1) (57-20).

14: Carr penalised 15m for touching tapes. Mogridge fell, excluded, but re-run unable to take place due to injury to Carr.

Edited by lucifer sam

Best wishes to Liam Carr. I didn't see the incident as had left by around heat 8, but he really impressed me. Still don't know why he's not in the NL.

What were the track conditions like at the end of the meeting? Even during the PL, some PL riders were having bit of a whinge at the conditions.

Track coniditions stayed about the same throughout the second meeting, although a slick line did start to emerge.

I guess it wasn't ideal for either meeting, but with the combination of sun and a strong wind yesterday, I thought the track staff did a great job to keep some bite in the track. None of the riders could complain that passing wasn't possible, there were numerous overtakes in the last third of the PL meeting. Doyle & Grajzconek showed what was possible in Heat 13.

It was a great pity about Liam Carr - like Danny Phillips, he's a rider who should be in the NL. Unfortunately I think Liam could be out for a bit, but I hope Danny gets a place soon - he's a different rider to 2012.

All the best

Rob

Delighted to see Danny Phillips do so well, has looked pretty much untouchable at STMP in second halves for a while now (only Luke Crang really challenges him).

Interesting to see how he does on Thursday riding for Redcar against Dudley.