British Speedway Forum
psycho3a

Premier League Fours - Peterborough 14/07/2013

Totally agree.. is by far and away the best weekend of speedway in this country - certainly in the North... And it also brings some credibility back to the 4's which was always a superb day out - especially when it was combined with the Elite league on the same day... Of course that'll now never happen as Poland rules on Sunday and the riders would complain it's another meeting in a very hectic schedule...

Bring back the qualifiers at least... Then you may get a bigger attendance at the finals.

FWIW, I don't give my team too much hope of getting out of a very tough looking group!

The 4s will never have total creditbility untill they bring back the qualifiers IMO.

So Bechs 2 meetings dont count, but Kennetts 3 do? Nice one!

I would guess its because Bechs average is assessed whilst Kennetts is converted from a real average

Absolute disgrace

;

Why? You're not good enough you're not in.

Superb :approve: Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Bech will be in Poland anyway??? But then again so would Doyle and Kennett

Edited by Arson fire

Don't think Kennett has turned a wheel in Poland yet since he was signed

Gotta feel for Redcar... Flying high in the league but mainly because of rolling averages, they're not in the top 8 of the PL? Surely if they were to take Dyer's 2013 average instead of RA, then they'd be a shoe-in if the present unfair system of selection was to remain...

Gotta feel for Redcar... Flying high in the league but mainly because of rolling averages, they're not in the top 8 of the PL? Surely if they were to take Dyer's 2013 average instead of RA, then they'd be a shoe-in if the present unfair system of selection was to remain...

i agree, same as newcastle wernt in top ten for the pairs..... It's daft

i agree, same as newcastle wernt in top ten for the pairs..... It's daft

Surely its time for an overhaul of these once great but now sadly ailing competitions...

• Like 1

Every year, every competition, we have complaints over who's in, who ain't.

Re the Fours this year:

1) Berwick would have sailed in, even with Ashworth instead of Kennett.

2) I think it is a time thing, not number of matches, that includes Kennett but excludes Bech. -- Eddie was in Berwick 1-7 in early May, but MBJ didn't arrive at Plymouth until June. Or maybe it is because of assessed averaging. But there has to be a definer someplace, and this year's groups look pretty tasty.

3) Qualifiers: the northern clubs love them, the southern ones won't touch them with a bargepole! Traditionally, the north had huge attendances, but down south -- with some clubs in the same group potentially 200 miles apart -- there was little travelling support and unprofitable attendances, even in the good times. Every attempt by the northern group of clubs to have qualifiers reinstated has for years been voted down by the southern bloc.

Other than having qualifiers why not just pick the top 8 teams in the Premier League as at 31.05.13. and then let each team manager pick his 4 riders from any of his current squad.

Other than having qualifiers why not just pick the top 8 teams in the Premier League as at 31.05.13. and then let each team manager pick his 4 riders from any of his current squad.

because teams could have ridden double the fixtures of others. Edited by Arson fire

In which case, why not have all the teams at Peterborough on Finals day and devise a system that enables every team to qualify on the track...

I don't get this North/South split rubbish... Yes, the North have always wanted them reinstated but I don't accept the "it's too much distance" to make it profitable... Glasgow to Newcastle is 150mls one way and it's still well attended by both sets of supporters. The North always works because the promoters work together to make it work... The South see it as an unwanted obstacle that if it were promoted and organised better, could be a crowd puller for each track...

Its always got to be a joke system when the Witches , winners 2 years ago didn't have a high enough combined average to defend it last year !

Qualifying is the only way to go with this , the pairs and any competition that requires that you have to have high averaged riders to compete !

I don't get this North/South split rubbish... Yes, the North have always wanted them reinstated but I don't accept the "it's too much distance" to make it profitable... Glasgow to Newcastle is 150mls one way and it's still well attended by both sets of supporters. The North always works because the promoters work together to make it work... The South see it as an unwanted obstacle that if it were promoted and organised better, could be a crowd puller for each track...

Who are "the south"? The last time the PL 4TT had qualifers was 1999, the "south" then was Newport, Exeter, IoW, Readnig and Area Essex. None of them are in the Pl any more. The South these days would be Plymouth, Somerset, Ipswich, rye House and (possibly) Leciester. Which thinking baout it now, is not all that close together and probably not going to draw my local rival, even Somerset to Plymouth is a fair old drive.

Its that time of years again, when the numpty's decide on who qualifies for the fours. A team that stands 3rd in the league and has qualified ON THE TRACK for the KO Cup semi's can't get in, yet another near the foot of the table qualifies. This team thrashed both home and away by the aforementioned 3rd placed team. I know this comes up every year, but bring back the qualifiers, its then all fair and square and everyone knows where they stand. You never know there could be some shocks. If it is marketed like the T20s in cricket could even be a commercial success. Rant over.

• Like 1