British Speedway Forum
bri1966

Who Should Be In Gb World Cup Team?

BSI are a business. To them what matters is who puts bums on seats. Their decision was that Harris's inclusion was best for business. And lets face it how many would Bridger or Kennett have put on the gate? The deal was done as far back as last November, a fact only disguised by the BSPA remaining silent about the issue and feigning relevance and credibility to the British Championships.

TO keep the record straight ... BSI informed the BSPA in November that the winner of the British Final would not automatically get the wild card pick for Cardiff but the decision to give it to Chris Harris was not determined until very near the event.

The following sourced from scotsman.co.uk

CRAIG COOK today said Team GB can “kiss my backside” after the Edinburgh Monarchs speedway star was swiftly axed from their World Cup team after flopping in last night’s encounter against Denmark, Sweden, and the United States at the Norfolk Arena in King’s Lynn.

Cook scored four points in what was his World Cup debut and while this wasn’t enough to help Team GB stop a strong Danish squad from winning the meeting outright and qualifying for the final, they did finish second and go through to Thursday’s race-off in Prague against Australia, Latvia and the US, who clinched third place on the night.

Cook was hugely disappointed with his performance and told the Evening News: “ I just couldn’t get my bike to work, nor was it fast enough, I tried hard but there was nothing I could do. I had felt good during practice in the morning and was really quick, but the track conditions changed quite dramatically come the evening. You win some, you lose some, and I didn’t ride the way I know I can ride.”

Team GB boss Neil Middleditch also gave the chop to Edward Kennett who only scored one point and in an effort to clinch the one place up for grabs in Prague to reach the final, he has drafted in Lewis Bridger and Ben Barker to give them the best possible chance of success.

Cook angrily responded: “To be replaced by Barker and Bridger, who have been there and done it, and were useless, is a bit of a joke. Team GB is supposed to help riders develop for the future. I just feel like saying kiss my backside Great Britian, it’s a farce really.”

Cook added: “This blow has in no way knocked my confidence, it will in fact make me stronger as a rider. I’m up at the top now and if I want something I go out and get it, I will take some good from all of this.”

Monarchs director Mike Hunter commented: “Craig will be so disappointed at the way he rode and so will all Monarchs fans who know just how well he can ride, he just did not look comfortable at all, it was such a pity.”

Eurosport pundit Kelvin Tatum said Cook should have been retained for the Prague showdown, observing: “Team GB are not going to win the World Cup and guys like Craig need to be given the experience for the future.”

Oh dear,what a disappointing reaction from Craig. He must have realized that going from top gun in the Prem to the fiercely competitive World Cup was going to be a hell of a jump. Speedway is all about results mate, and you were poor last night, if you were included again and were poor again,the knives would be out. You are still learning this game and have come a long way in a short time to your credit , however it did seem like a step to far for you last night. If you carry on improving in the way that you have you will definitely be a fixture in this event in the future. Also it`s Team GB not Team Craig Cook, who are you to start running potential team mates down who have been in a similar situation to you i.e. didn`t perform and were dropped. If both these lads score well and they are both young, then surely the manager is vindicated. Keep doing what you are doing Craig cos I think you have the ability to go far in this sport, but keep it zipped, nobody likes a big head.

The original four riders selected were not the best Britian has to offer SURELY THE SELECTOR SHOULD TAKE THE BLAME PICKING RIDERS LOW ON CONFIDENCE is not the way its done. Then to drop two is even worse Take responsibility

What a pathetic reaction. Cook was useless and it's time he realised that instead of criticising other riders, who are as good as, if not better than him anyway. As for being at the top, where of exactly? PL?

The original four riders selected were not the best Britian has to offer SURELY THE SELECTOR SHOULD TAKE THE BLAME PICKING RIDERS LOW ON CONFIDENCE is not the way its done. Then to drop two is even worse Take responsibility

So who's our best four riders then??

So who's our best four riders then??

On averages i suppose you have to say - Woffy, Harris, king and Nicholls - without Nicholls its Barker.

Edited by stevebrum
  • Like 1

What a pathetic reaction. Cook was useless and it's time he realised that instead of criticising other riders, who are as good as, if not better than him anyway. As for being at the top, where of exactly? PL?

EL snobbery at work here IMO,Cook has been excellent in both EL & PL this season for his clubs,and fully deserved his shot in the SWC.IMO he let nobody down and was well in most of his races,maybe just lacking that bit of experience at times.If the likes of Cook is the future of Team GB then just what Cook is expected to learn sitting at home watching the Play-Offs sat at home.

So Barker & Bridger get their go on Thursday,Barker has had plenty to say on the subject,especially at the 4s last sunday so lets see if Barker can walk the walk as well as talking the talk.As for Bridger,well he has a big opinion of himself and will be found out as in previous big meetings.

• Like 1

Cook didnt really engage his brain did he? Its quite possible that one rider could have a poor meeting on Thursday and GB still make the final which could have given a chance for Cook. Oh well

EL snobbery at work here IMO,Cook has been excellent in both EL & PL this season for his clubs,and fully deserved his shot in the SWC.IMO he let nobody down and was well in most of his races,maybe just lacking that bit of experience at times.If the likes of Cook is the future of Team GB then just what Cook is expected to learn sitting at home watching the Play-Offs sat at home.

So Barker & Bridger get their go on Thursday,Barker has had plenty to say on the subject,especially at the 4s last sunday so lets see if Barker can walk the walk as well as talking the talk.As for Bridger,well he has a big opinion of himself and will be found out as in previous big meetings.

No EL snobbery at all.

Once again a PL fan invents 'the snobbery' line when the only snobbery is coming from them.

As you quite correctly point out, Barker and Bridger have 'attitudes' and not necessarily good ones. No Elite League fan has ever denied that. It was hoped that Cook wouldn't go down that route, but his comments appear to now put him in a similar bracket.

All 3 of them should take a look at what Tai has done. This season he has displayed a much more mature attitude, concentrated on his racing and done everything possible to ensure he is at the top of his game. The results speak for themselves.

I am impressed with Bridger in that he has gone out and secured team places abroad. This is the ONLY way they are going to improve and take that next step.

The following sourced from scotsman.co.uk

CRAIG COOK today said Team GB can “kiss my backside”

I just feel like saying kiss my backside Great Britian, it’s a farce really.”

Excellent reporting as usual then He "said" it, or rather "felt like saying it", or maybe didn't say it at all.....

Easy way for cook to come back.

He can say that he wasn't happy with the side being named Team GB and Team GB can kiss his backside but England is a different story.

Have to side with Cook on this ...what a joke to pick him then after one match then dump him, is that how long you give someone ? it's no eeee wonder he's hurt and said what he said I think we should cut him some slack . Middlo is a joke of TM look at Kennett last night, we all agree that he was the wrong choice but if going to pick him why dump him after one ride ? As for Bridger great to see he's got his best bikes elsewhere rather than the uk :rolleyes:

• Like 1

No EL snobbery at all.

Once again a PL fan invents 'the snobbery' line when the only snobbery is coming from them.

As you quite correctly point out, Barker and Bridger have 'attitudes' and not necessarily good ones. No Elite League fan has ever denied that. It was hoped that Cook wouldn't go down that route, but his comments appear to now put him in a similar bracket.

All 3 of them should take a look at what Tai has done. This season he has displayed a much more mature attitude, concentrated on his racing and done everything possible to ensure he is at the top of his game. The results speak for themselves.

I am impressed with Bridger in that he has gone out and secured team places abroad. This is the ONLY way they are going to improve and take that next step.

Excellent post,I wouldve gone with Cook in the Play-Off simply because I dont see us making saturdays Final,so the experience Cook wouldve gained could be valueable this time next year.Quite happy that Kennett has been given the chop,he was hopeless last night,Barker seems to be in good form now so should be given a go.

• Like 1

Excellent post,I wouldve gone with Cook in the Play-Off simply because I dont see us making saturdays Final,so the experience Cook wouldve gained could be valueable this time next year.Quite happy that Kennett has been given the chop,he was hopeless last night,Barker seems to be in good form now so should be given a go.

Surely GB would have a good chance on Thursday ,Aussies are not that strong.Cook is nowhere near Good enough,blaming track and wrong set-up for being poor the whole meeting is a poor excuse.GB is not going to improve in a year with the riders in the system at the moment.where is the YOUNG talent.look at the Poles and Danes they have an abundant of young riders. British Speedway is a shambles and has been for a while. Auty,Cook,Barker,Bridger have been around for a while now irrespective of how old or young they are I cannot see any of them being aGP rider in the future.Ellis and Lambert are the best bet given the right support IMO.