British Speedway Forum
bri1966

Who Should Be In Gb World Cup Team?

Have to side with Cook on this ...what a joke to pick him then after one match then dump him, is that how long you give someone ? it's no eeee wonder he's hurt and said what he said I think we should cut him some slack . Middlo is a joke of TM look at Kennett last night, we all agree that he was the wrong choice but if going to pick him why dump him after one ride ? As for Bridger great to see he's got his best bikes elsewhere rather than the uk :rolleyes:

Your not going to last very long in Speedway if you throw the toys out everytime a decision goes against you, seems Cook & Nicholls have the ego of Ward, but not the talent.

Can anyone explain why Danny King hasn't been included, I would have thought he was a cert?

Can anyone explain why Danny King hasn't been included, I would have thought he was a cert?

Only thing I can remotely think of is he didn't score brilliantly when at Number One for Brum, but then who has ?.

It's hardly surprising to read these tweets given the GB Team Manager/Coach doesn't set a good example on Twitter particularly his tweets regarding his Team GB selection.

Edited by TrueBee

Glad to see Ben has been called into the team for Thursday, I felt he should have been selected for the team instead of Kennett in the first place, his form of late has been very good.

I don't agree at all with Bridger;s inclusion, whats he done to justify being selected. This year his average has gone backwards, and is only a second string in the El. If they wanted to change Cook, than why not Danny King. Yeah Danny had a lean spell at number 1 for us but its his solid scoring that got him there. It just wasn't the case of Bomber doing so bad at number 1, Danny increased his average from the starting average he started the season with. Many thought he would never hold it, but he not only did that but slightly increased it to get him to number 1. On the whole hes had a decent season and is surely would have been a better option than Bridger.

I do feel for Cook, his comments may anger some but at least he cares. He did try his best and I dont think he disgrace himself on Monday. He didnt always gate which is normally his strong point but you could see him trying. Perhaps we could have left him in but either way I'm sure Craig will have plenty of opportunites to race in a Team GB in the future for sure!! :t:

• Like 1

Ca't believe people think what Cook said is true!!!!!!!

The reporter (David Kinvig) is <unacceptable language removed> when he rights his reports about Edinburgh matches about 25% of the article is actual fact the rest of it he just makes up. So i wouldn't read to much into what cookie has apparently said as most of it probably isn't true like the rest of the pish that he wrights up.

Cookie has also said on twitter himself that he didn't even say half the rubbish that has been written.

But it is good to see that he hasn't been knocked by this setback and he now wants it even more.

Craig Cook is a far better rider than he showed on Monday night. He wasn't out of his depth as far as rider quality is concerned - he's beaten many of the other riders involved this season, including Bjerre & Harris, as well as all the other Brits with a chance of getting in the squad. What he doesn't have is experience in this type of meeting and he did look nervous and perhaps froze a bit - didn't look his usual self on the bike. I think if he'd made the pass on Ljung stick in his first race he would have had a completely different night and probably got around 8 or 9.

He's generally got the better of Jason Doyle this season, beating him on Doyle's home track in both leagues - pretty spectacularly from the back at Somerset in the Sky match - and I'm sure no-one is suggesting Jason was out of his depth in Event 1.

He probably could do with some media advice (although he may well not have said everything quoted in the Scotsman article - that particular journalist has got previous), but he strikes me as his own man and there's a lot to be said for raw honesty sometimes rather than banal media babble.

A trip to Prague would have been great experience for him and helped his development. A missed opportunity by Team GB I think. Good luck to the four who are representing GB and the silver lining for me is that Cookie will be at Redcar on Thursday and Armadale on Friday.

This goes a lot deeper than arguing over who should or should have been picked. If you look at the green sheet averages who is there to pick when most teams have very few British riders . Some one needs to ask why what is going wrong. Are we just not good enough. Or are youngsters discouraged and not encouraged from becoming top riders. The old boys brigade is not working. More training schools for kids

Because he's of the same standard as Kennett.

King & Kennett should be excluded from any future GB squads

Because he's of the same standard as Kennett.

King & Kennett should be excluded from any future GB squads

Im sorry i cant agree with that at all. King is a far better rider at the moment.

Im sorry i cant agree with that at all. King is a far better rider at the moment.

At the moment may be. As a rider overall, they're the same. Will never be good enough for top level International Speedway

Cookie needs to grow up a bit basically. He had his chance did ok not great. Now 2 in form riders are in. Come on Craig support your side

Glad that cook shows passion on and off the track. He's still young , still improving and will prob be a regular member of the gee bee side in years to come.

Sadly the facts are that we don't have enough English talent in our so called top league to create a competitive 4 man side

Writing this I think of the terrific lee rico who donned the British bib with such aplomb during his all too short life

• Like 1

He could get his facts right. Barker DIDN'T fail. Bridger did and was replaced - like Cook now. Part of me thinks, "silly boy" but actually, I'd prefer him to be upset and annoyed than just go, "ah well", shows he actually cares.

Very true!

Cookie needs to grow up a bit basically. He had his chance did ok not great. Now 2 in form riders are in. Come on Craig support your side

2 In-form riders???

Barker, ok... Not his biggest fan but he is on form for both Ipswich and Birmingham. Bridger on the other hand I believe has got in because he's told Middleditch he has fast bikes in Poland (in the "jhigh-class" second division by the way!!!!) and Middleditch has bought it.

Cookie has been the best and most consistent of the Brits (outside of woffinden and to a lesser extent Harris) this year. He's banging in maximums for fun in the PL and being involved in Heat 15's (some last heat deciders and won them) in the EL. He's deserved his chance and should still be at Prague, end of. However, GB's loss is our gain and here's hoping he can prove Middleditch wrong by banging in big points at Recar in the league tomorrow...

Question is, if GB qualify for the final and Bridger (or Barker for that matter) has a stinker in the Race-off... What happens? Do they stick with them or do they bring in another replacement for the final like re-instate Cook (on a track I think would actually suit him better than Kings Lynn) or bring King in or someone not involved in the SWC????

It's a big IF anyway as even with Watt out and Woodward in for the Aussies, I still think we'll be off the pace tomorrow.

As for the report in the EEN? Maybe Cookie did say something like that to start with - in the heat of the moment - and of course any reporter (and this one is definitely no exception) will pick up on the juiciest wording to sell papers. It's what journalists do. Would take the wording with a pinch of salt but the passion as wholehearted.