British Speedway Forum

sorry but thats not good enough. It has to reduce its overheads. It can be done. It HAS to be done. Theres a hundred ways and we can all name a few - machines, pay, flights

my God flying people all over Europe to ride infront of 500 people!!! Get real!! A non league footballer in front of a similar crowd might get £150

"A hundred ways" - really, You quoted 3, where's your other 77 ideas.

Bleating "It's not good enough" is not facing the economic realities.

"A hundred ways" - really, You quoted 3, where's your other 77 ideas.

Bleating "It's not good enough" is not facing the economic realities.

yeah not literally 100

its funny how some people would rather make smart comments than debate properly

shall we just carry on peeing money away til everyone goes bust then? - ironically you do quote "economic realities"

Of course it isn't. That might be the price you would like to pay but overheads and costs make it a much more expensive sport.

By the same logic, if it was £35 to attend would you go week in week out?

• Like 2

Given that a drop from £17 to £10 would require either a 70% increase in adult attendance, a dramatic cut in costs, a lucrative sponsorship deal or some combination of the three methinks it extremely unlikely that promoters will ever price the product this way. A real shame because the product on offer and the facilities on offer are realistically only worth £10.

Irrespective of the costs involved the simple fact is that £17 is considered overpriced by many potential customers. As an example I used to attend Belle Vue with 3 mates every week back in the days when we had Joe Screen, Jason Lyons, teams with 3 heat-leaders, a far healthy crowd/atmosphere and basically a far more entertaining experience. These mates drifted away after their college days but recently showed interest in popping along again - until they discovered the £17 cost and literally the consensus was "Ouch! How much?! £10 and we'd be there!". I didn't push too hard to persuade them because I feared that one experience of today's £17 racing would likely kill their interest for good.

To me Speedway promotions have been squeezing the wallets of an ever dwindling band of die-hards for far too long. The costs have been driven down by diluting the standards yet the entry has continued to rise. I don't doubt that the promoters are having a torrid time with most losing money hand over fist - and dropping the admission would certainly add to their woes - but this doesn't change the fact that Speedway is dying on it's feet with crowd's worryingly low. Dropping the admission to £10 will certainly increase the crowds but, without the associated drop in costs, it'd be financial suicide.

• Like 2

Given that a drop from £17 to £10 would require either a 70% increase in adult attendance,

Or a 70% reduction in costs

"Dropping the admission to £10 will certainly increase the crowds but, without the associated drop in costs, it'd be financial suicide"

of course no one would recommend one without the other

take a look at bundesliga football - see what they've done. Of course Germans don't know what they're doing do they?

sorry but thats not good enough. It has to reduce its overheads. It can be done. It HAS to be done. Theres a hundred ways and we can all name a few - machines, pay, flights

my God flying people all over Europe to ride infront of 500 people!!! Get real!! A non league footballer in front of a similar crowd might get £150

will they? will they really? how many - an extra 100?

An extra 100 people paying £15.00 equates to £1,500 a meeting and if your club has 25 home meetings a season that would make £37.000 in a season

That looks quite good to me

Take a look at Eurosport tonight. Speedway from a stadium built for speedway & what a fab arena it is. Shows what can happen if the sport is run as a sport & not a micky mouse side show as it has been in the UK for years.

• Like 2

An extra 100 people paying £15.00 equates to £1,500 a meeting and if your club has 25 home meetings a season that would make £37.000 in a season

great - sorted - everythings ok then

cheers!

don't know why i was worrying

Forgive me, but wasn't this all about the additional people who are going to come "if the weather is good"

As I am about to plan my holidays, I would be really interested to hear of the Speedway venue that is is going to get this freakish 25 week heatwave.

• Like 1

I actually think the problem is attracting new supporters whatever the price, ten pound is about right though.All this stems from promoters over the years taking the diehards supporters for granted.

• Like 2

I actually think the problem is attracting new supporters whatever the price, ten pound is about right though.All this stems from promoters over the years taking the diehards supporters for granted.

Sneak in over the wall, a programme and a couple of pints and that's about a tenner Sidders....

As SS said, the overheads involved mean that speedway as we know it will never be a £10 sport.

That's just the business reality, Speedway will not survive as a £10 sport.

Of course it will, it just has to increase attendances.....entrance to a speedway meeting in Poland is substantially less, but they seem to be doing ok don't they!!! ?

• Like 1

Sneak in over the wall, a programme and a couple of pints and that's about a tenner Sidders....

Ive done that ER when younger,my mum used to say how could you afford all those souvenirs! Being realistic ten pound wouldn't be viable surely,people like us will pay whatever but i just don't see where the new supporter is coming from.