British Speedway Forum
Starman2006

Somerset Case's Rebels V Workington Comets 18/6/13 P L K O Cup 2nd Leg

Because that is what usually happens, with the sun and the sea breeze the track dries out really quickly as as others have posted. Obviously it was disappointing for the away fans who had travelled a long distance to support their team, but lets hope you can move on an accept the managements apology.

Because that is what usually happens, with the sun and the sea breeze the track dries out really quickly as as others have posted. Obviously it was disappointing for the away fans who had travelled a long distance to support their team, but lets hope you can move on an accept the managements apology.

True, it happens at Poole, by the time you've filled the bowser up on a hot day the track is dry. But, what i will say is, Ez should have seen the forcast, and although there were clouds overhead no rain was forcast, but perhaps he should have ear'd on the side of caution. Normally on a hot day you can flood the track at 5.30-5.45 same at poole, and will be plenty dry enough by 7.30, but for whatever reason it didn't dissapear and sat. Perhaps he'd put more shale on the track?, that won't help.

But what i will also say, Ez is a very good track curator, he knows what he's doing and should be left to his own devices. If the riders want the track one way, not half a dozen ways, they should le-aese with him...

Have some sympathy with the Somerset management but could make it ok for other clubs in the future to call off/cancell meets due to poor track preperation............... :neutral: :neutral:

Have some sympathy with the Somerset management but could make it ok for other clubs in the future to call off/cancell meets due to poor track preperation............... :neutral: :neutral:

I see your point, but i think Ez will learn from this. He rarely gets it wrong. He wouldn't have last night, but it didn't drain for some reason..

Edited by Starman2006

1. Only the ref can call it off 2hours before start time or later. 2. Somersetbhad nothing to gain having it called off.

Seems like it was an unfortunate mess up.

The throttle woks both ways,If this was an Open meeting these same riders would toddle round to take the cash on offer in case they were going to lose out.It is not good enough .they are plotting their own demise.Tiddlywinks will soon be drawing bigger crowds.

650 mile round trip

Somerset should refund your fuel bill. As in most cases it's the supporters that suffer, costly fuel,possibly a wasted days holiday for the longer trips, all the slagging of you get from non speedway fans who cannot understand why a meeting would be called off on such a beautiful day.

And Promoters wonder why fans don't travel away in No's anymore!!

Wake up and smell the bacon!!!

Doesn't sound like foul play, just a big cock up... Should be re run imo but worky compensated by somerset.

1. Only the ref can call it off 2hours before start time or later. 2. Somersetbhad nothing to gain having it called off.

Seems like it was an unfortunate mess up.

Not what i heard. :neutral:

End of season meets and BIG meets at Workington gone ahead in heavy rain but not good for spectators...............from what i have heard meeting at Somerset should not have even started.....some big lessons to be learned here... :neutral:

looks like a new watergate scandal, or should that be floodgate...as a fellow human, we all have the odd day at cocking things up. EZ, tuesday was your day and that dark cloud.. that didn't show on the weather system.

I was at the Somerset "v" Workington meeting and can't understand how the referee and team captains failed to realise the track was unfit for racing before the turnstiles were opened! Why let the meeting start only to deem the track unfit after the crash in heat 2 and the following remedial track work? Would the meeting have continued if heat 2 had been completed without incident or the TV cameras were present?

We hear the term "rider safety is parmount" said many times when meetings are called off but what I don't understand, or am I very naive, is why some of the televised meetings are allowed to continue on tracks with holes and ruts in them putting the riders safety at risk! Meetings recently shown from Poole, Cardiff and Birmingham spring to mind.

Track preparation is a black art and things can go wrong so I won't criticise the Somerset promotion for the poor track on tuesday which was obviously deemed fit for racing as the meeting was allowed to start! Instead I would just like to say that in my view they have consistantly produced some of the best racing I have seen over my 40 years or so of following speedway and should generally be congratulated for their efforts!

Terry Hunt.

South Devon.

• Like 5

I was at the Somerset "v" Workington meeting and can't understand how the referee and team captains failed to realise the track was unfit for racing before the turnstiles were opened! Why let the meeting start only to deem the track unfit after the crash in heat 2 and the following remedial track work? Would the meeting have continued if heat 2 had been completed without incident or the TV cameras were present?

We hear the term "rider safety is parmount" said many times when meetings are called off but what I don't understand, or am I very naive, is why some of the televised meetings are allowed to continue on tracks with holes and ruts in them putting the riders safety at risk! Meetings recently shown from Poole, Cardiff and Birmingham spring to mind.

Track preparation is a black art and things can go wrong so I won't criticise the Somerset promotion for the poor track on tuesday which was obviously deemed fit for racing as the meeting was allowed to start! Instead I would just like to say that in my view they have consistantly produced some of the best racing I have seen over my 40 years or so of following speedway and should generally be congratulated for their efforts!

Terry Hunt.

South Devon.

Fair play to your post mate, and i hope this doesn't put you off attending Somerset again. Its one of those things, for some reason when Ez did his last main water it hasn't drained away as it normally does.

Ez is a very good track curator, and has the abillity to prepare a good track, but for whatever reason, things obviously didn't go to plan.

Terry Hunt.

South Devon.

Something I wondered how the riders and ref didn't get together and call the track unfit before it even started, but there you go. After watching last nights Elite meeting Birmingham v Poole on TV that track was causing all sorts of problems too, but as usual a few on here cannot wait to get in on the action and have a go although many of them were not even at the meeting !, when will people realise these things do happen even though they shouldn't, and although unfortunate and expensive for visiting supporters, in my humble opinion after the Ref had call it off and the trackman had done a little more work on the track it was raceable.
  • Like 1

....in my humble opinion after the Ref had call it off and the trackman had done a little more work on the track it was raceable.

Hallelujah. Finally, the voice of reason. I think were are in the minority 'Buttons'.

Track prep keeping supporters informed the whole night a joke only good part was the bag of chips and the crack with some petobourgh supporters cost me £175