British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Skodaman

Lions V Rebels 22.06.2013

Really enjoyed tonight's meeting (even though we lost). Still can't work out how Morris passed Nieminen in ht 10 when he was covering the line well. I think that was a masterclass in overtaking by Morris on a track that isn't the easiest to get by people on. The so called 'Magnificent Magnus' made it easy for the Rebels riders to come by him. He seems to put the indicators on and leaves a big space for them. Lasse tried hard but just seemed to struggle with the slick track, put in a lot of effort for just 6 points. I've been very impressed with Alex Edberg since he signed from Berwick. He doesn't give an inch which gains him an extra point or 2 a meeting as well as being entertaining. Anyway, good meeting an well done to Somerset on the win

All the best to Alex & Stefan. Writing was on the wall even when we looked to be cruising and 12 points up. Some good racing. If it was like that and the Ipswich meeting every week then there wouldn't be a need to moan about the track.. Unfortunately we see it only 3 or 4 times a year. Morris' performance was as good a performance as i've seen from anyone at BP. Morris, Doyle and Grajczonek were different class from our heat leaders. I know why it happened but I can't help but think that we will regret keeping Karlsson over Roynon come the end of the season. The engine problems that had hindered him for a season must be back as Karlsson looks back to the gater who hangs on again after his 2 week purple patch.. If Edberg has broken his ankle then i think we are in the do. His forceful style has been a breath of fresh air since signing. Looks like we are .01 away from being able to bring in a 5 pointer so slim pickings. Hopefully we don't have to resort to bringing back Makinen or Nielsen

just for the record mick yes your right he did wreck an engine tonight and he is also struggling with his shoulder that he hurt in sweden a couple of weeks ago and as we speak is in hospital along side alex receiving treatment so who knows he might also be out for a while,happy now?

and the point you make about him hanging on that's where you are so wrong thats the problem he has at the moment he cant hang on because of his shoulder injury he wasn't going to ride tonight but decided to give it his best shot because he didn't want to let the fans or his team mates down but in your eyes he clearly did both.

Edited by neb
  • Like 1

Back from what will be one of the best, if not the best, meetings I will see all year (no passing at Leicester?,seriously?). I would say its not the track but the lack of riders prepared to attack it. Nick Morris, Josh and Doyley all proved it can be done. Tom passed Branford and kyle passed Edberg (before Edberg locked up).

Rebels all but down and out 12 pts behind come back to win in a last ht decider. Nick Morris was a giant tonight and rode like a man possessed. Great back up from Jason and Josh (Garry must have had a problem with which 2 out of 3 to put in ht 15). Kyle and Alex had off nights by their standards but popped up with vital points without which the match would have been lost. Good to see Tom riding with some aggression. As far as the ref goes I thought he had a good meeting (if you want to bail out Magnus bring a parachute).

Quite amusing to see the Leicester promoter throw a major hissy fit at the end of the meeting. Not the thing to do in front of your spectators though. I can understand his frustration as I would imagine he feels let down by his higher paid team members when it counted. He should IMO have waited until the morning and then called his team to task. It's never a good idea to act on the spur of the moment, especially when you are as wound up as he obviously was.

Edited by Pirate Nick
  • Like 1

If racing was like that every week there wouldn't be any moaning but unfortunately racing isn't like that every week. Ipswich and Somerset meetings apart it's been fairly hopeless all year again. That should be the entertainment level we should be expecting as a norm, not once or twice a season. Can't fault tonight though, it was excellent. Other than the score!

Said all along Mick its not the shape, its the preparation.

If it can be brilliant one week, it can be brilliant every week (weather conditions excepted).

• Like 1

just for the record mick yes your right he did wreck an engine tonight and he is also struggling with his shoulder that he hurt in sweden a couple of weeks ago and as we speak is in hospital along side alex receiving treatment so who knows he might also be out for a while,happy now?

and the point you make about him hanging on that's where you are so wrong thats the problem he has at the moment he cant hang on because of his shoulder injury he wasn't going to ride tonight but decided to give it his best shot because he didn't want to let the fans or his team mates down but in your eyes he clearly did both.

Sorry Neb, letting the team down is not the point i'm making at all. So if your asking if i'm happy now, no. I know you are very protective of Magnus and i accept his history with us and people's opinion of him, such as your own. My opinion is that, as a rider, i rate Roynon a lot, lot higher than Magnus. I'm not having a go at him beyond the choices i feel we had. If Roynon was coming back from Injury and Karlsson was/is riding with injuries then even more so.

Edited by volty
  • Like 3

When Nielsen took out all 3 riders in ht 2 you just knew it was going to be 1 of those meetings. Watching everyone in the pits duck as a bike went flying by was my highlight. Don't think i've seen anything like that at BP since Bergstrom (I think) ended up in what is now the hospitality area. A good meeting though!!!

Best wishes to Nielson and Edberg

Edited by TMW

Said all along Mick its not the shape, its the preparation.

If it can be brilliant one week, it can be brilliant every week (weather conditions excepted).

Track shape may not end up being the issue after all, however as i saw it the preparation last night appeared to be of the very slick nature. Kind of goes against the grain of those who say more dirt solves everything and makes the dirt equation a difficult one.

Interesting that you put 'weather conditions excepted' though, as the commonality within the good meetings at BP doesn't appear to be whether the track is running slick or with some dirt at all but does have a strong relationship to to weather conditions. The other track theory i've heard put forward, and the one that appears to currently hold more water so to speak than even the track shape one is this one. It's been said that before the grand opening, and in the race against time to get the base hard enough, and supposedly against almost everyones better judgement, someone insisted that huge amounts of quicklime were added to the base so it would firm up in time as we were having a problem with the track and the opening night had to happen. This unfortunately leaves the base hardening up like concrete on anything bar overcast, damp and wet days stopping anything gripping into it. Interestingly the meetings the track has worked fit this theory perfectly and make me wonder how things may have worked out with a bit more diplomacy from our dear leader (well, actually, a lot more diplomacy, well, any diplomacy at all would be a start!). Something like that anyway, i'm clearly no track building expert!... Anyone's thoughts on this?

Mick.

Edited by volty

Track shape may not end up being the issue after all, however as i saw it the preparation last night appeared to be of the very slick nature. Kind of goes against the grain of those who say more dirt solves everything and makes the dirt equation a difficult one.

Interesting that you put 'weather conditions excepted' though, as the commonality within the good meetings at BP doesn't appear to be whether the track is running slick or with some dirt at all but does have a strong relationship to to weather conditions. The other track theory i've heard put forward, and the one that appears to currently hold more water so to speak than even the track shape one is this one. It's been said that before the grand opening, and in the race against time to get the base hard enough, and supposedly against almost everyones better judgement, someone insisted that huge amounts of quicklime were added to the base so it would firm up in time as we were having a problem with the track and the opening night had to happen. This unfortunately leaves the base hardening up like concrete on anything bar overcast, damp and wet days stopping anything gripping into it. Interestingly the meetings the track has worked fit this theory perfectly and make me wonder how things may have worked out with a bit more diplomacy from our dear leader (well, actually, a lot more diplomacy, well, any diplomacy at all would be a start!). Something like that anyway, i'm clearly no track building expert!... Anyone's thoughts on this?

Mick.

What from I remember, lime was added to the track but only down in the area from bend 3/4 to the start line where it was badly affected by the frost and snow, not all the way round. Long Eye will clarify this since he was one of those dispensing the lime. I thought the track was better early on in the meeting but strangely it still seemed to produce passing opportunities when it slickened off.

Enjoyed that, one of the best meeting Ive seen this year, thought it was the right decision in heat 13, Brummies supporter so no axe to grind. A very cold night again but enjoyable saturday night racing, still the best night of the week to see racing.

I saw the promoter as we left the stadium and he didnt look happy at all :lol: got to feel sorry for the riders at times like that.

All the best to Alex & Stefan. Writing was on the wall even when we looked to be cruising and 12 points up. Some good racing. If it was like that and the Ipswich meeting every week then there wouldn't be a need to moan about the track.. Unfortunately we see it only 3 or 4 times a year. Morris' performance was as good a performance as i've seen from anyone at BP. Morris, Doyle and Grajczonek were different class from our heat leaders. I know why it happened but I can't help but think that we will regret keeping Karlsson over Roynon come the end of the season. The engine problems that had hindered him for a season must be back as Karlsson looks back to the gater who hangs on again after his 2 week purple patch.. If Edberg has broken his ankle then i think we are in the do. His forceful style has been a breath of fresh air since signing. Looks like we are .01 away from being able to bring in a 5 pointer so slim pickings. Hopefully we don't have to resort to bringing back Makinen or Nielsen

How about giving this Robert Lambert a try. He seems to have burst onto the scene at Kings Lynn NL big time. Just a thought.

How about giving this Robert Lambert a try. He seems to have burst onto the scene at Kings Lynn NL big time. Just a thought.

He isn't eligible to ride in the PL because he is only 15 you have to be 16

I think he's only 15 and you have to be 16 to go higher than the NL.

Mick.

I actually meant that strong wind and sun can play havoc with a track surface and if rain is predicted it can be left very slick to avoid a postponement..............but I know tracks that benefit significantly from a downpour immedaitely prior to the meeting, Buxton being one.

I think its a myth that chucking tons of dirt down means good racing. What the actual answer is I am not so sure, as I am no expert either.

It'll be interesting to see what its like next week.

Enjoyed that, one of the best meeting Ive seen this year, thought it was the right decision in heat 13, Brummies supporter so no axe to grind. A very cold night again but enjoyable saturday night racing, still the best night of the week to see racing.

As a Lions supporter,I viewed it from the perfect angle and I also feel that the referee got it right in Heat 13. .

Someone has posted on Facebook, that whole Leicester team have quit the club, if its true what the hell is that all about.

Which facebook page,