British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crescent girl

Berwick V Scunthorpe (6 July: Pl)

I found last nights meeting to long drawn out,intermitent and for the most part just plain boring,that boredom was interrupted only by a couple of thrilling rides by Kozza Smith inparticularly in Ht11 where he caught Jorgensen right on the line just as it looked Scunthorpe were on for an 8-1,Bellego to made a couple of decent passes and again was probably Berwicks best rider on the night.The flow of the meeting wasnt help either by the riders from both teams,though mainly Scunthorpe,jumping at the starts and a referee who seemed to have difficulty in finding the two minute button,many times we were sat looking at an empty track having to listen to Mr Barries witterings.

I don't agree with how you felt about this meeting. Standing in the sun with friends, enjoying our Saturday night, we didn't find the length of the meeting a problem, given the passing and crashes (which, let's face it, is what people go to speedway to see) which occurred so often.

Thankfully, perhaps assisted by the foam fence, everyone walked back to the pits after their accidents.

The absolutely unprecedented number of re-starts. and re-runs of course meant delays while riders were attended to by medical staff, and reorganised their machinery, but it was a fine night, the Bandits were winning and we were kept fully informed of the reason for delays. You may not like Dick Barrie's "witterings" but he is infinately better than any other presenter at any other track when filling unavoidable gaps in proceedings -- the last two meetings have proved that.

The racing was just great, with passing a-plenty, especially from Kozza, David and indeed Josh Auty, who set out his stall early when he barged past Bellego in Heat 1. Robin and Matty were both denied wins by broken chains, with the latter's valiant effort to push for a lap-and-a-half one we'll remember a long time.

The referee had a hard night, yet probably got his decisions right -- maybe Birks and Palm Toft was a 50/50% job, but as one of them had to go, did it matter? -- and any delays to the two-minute warning were clearly caused by requests from the pits for extra time as riders or machinery were being attended to.

A long meeting? Well, it took the alloted two-and-a-half hours to start 30 races, if we count the second half. (By the way, the last rider out on track, the boy from Argentina, looked the business).

Boring? No, it was a good contest, Bandits won and we enjoyed our evening in the sun.

I'm sorry, but what more do you need to be happy?

Edited by crescent girl
  • Like 2

I'm afraid the track prep from week to week baffles me,most weeks the real racing begins at about Ht 10 when the "wonder wheels" finally loosen and spread the heavy dirt on the outside 2/3 of the track and the riders can start to use that bit of the track with confidence.If we get a week of rain and the meeting is on the racing is usually better!!

• Like 2

I'm afraid the track prep from week to week baffles me,most weeks the real racing begins at about Ht 10 when the "wonder wheels" finally loosen and spread the heavy dirt on the outside 2/3 of the track and the riders can start to use that bit of the track with confidence.If we get a week of rain and the meeting is on the racing is usually better!!

As you are obviously a track prep expert IMO,why don't you go and give Razor the benefit of your wisdom.
  • Like 1

I don't agree with how you felt about this meeting. Standing in the sun with friends, enjoying our Saturday night, we didn't find the length of the meeting a problem, given the passing and crashes (which, let's face it, is what people go to speedway to see) which occurred so often.

Thankfully, perhaps assisted by the foam fence, everyone walked back to the pits after their accidents.

The absolutely unprecedented number of re-starts. and re-runs of course meant delays while riders were attended to by medical staff, and reorganised their machinery, but it was a fine night, the Bandits were winning and we were kept fully informed of the reason for delays. You may not like Dick Barrie's "witterings" but he is infinately better than any other presenter at any other track when filling unavoidable gaps in proceedings -- the last two meetings have proved that.

The racing was just great, with passing a-plenty, especially from Kozza, David and indeed Josh Auty, who set out his stall early when he barged past Bellego in Heat 1. Robin and Matty were both denied wins by broken chains, with the latter's valiant effort to push for a lap-and-a-half one we'll remember a long time.

The referee had a hard night, yet probably got his decisions right -- maybe Birks and Palm Toft was a 50/50% job, but as one of them had to go, did it matter? -- and any delays to the two-minute warning were clearly caused by requests from the pits for extra time as riders or machinery were being attended to.

A long meeting? Well, it took the alloted two-and-a-half hours to start 30 races, if we count the second half. (By the way, the last rider out on track, the boy from Argentina, looked the business).

Boring? No, it was a good contest, Bandits won and we enjoyed our evening in the sun.

LOL. You might want to get yourself a hankerchief to remove that brown stuff from your nose. And people go to speedway to see crashes? Really? I dont know anyone who goes to a meeting thinking 'yeh i hope theres a good crash tonight' .

• Like 1

As you are obviously a track prep expert IMO,why don't you go and give Razor the benefit of your wisdom.

Not a lot of point, he doesn't want to listen. Ref on sat. said it was the worst meeting he had reffed in a long time, with an outside line badly prepared, much too loose and too deep.

• Like 1

obviously I'm not at track expert or I would not be baffled,only expressing my opinion on what I pay to watch ,Razer prepares the track as he sees fit.Everything still perfect in your world that's fine by me.

Not a lot of point, he doesn't want to listen. Ref on sat. said it was the worst meeting he had reffed in a long time, with an outside line badly prepared, much too loose and too deep.

Really? I have it on excellent authority that Mr Hartley's report to the SCB gave the track 8 (out of ten and they never give tens) and he told the promotion

It was a great meeting despite his having to call so many restarts and they had done a great job to get thirty races or starts in under the circumstances.

But thanks for the goggles.

• Like 1

Really? I have it on excellent authority that Mr Hartley's report to the SCB gave the track 8 (out of ten and they never give tens) and he told the promotion

It was a great meeting despite his having to call so many restarts and they had done a great job to get thirty races or starts in under the circumstances.

But thanks for the goggles.

Isn't what he said to me

I really enjoyed Saturday meeting despite the delays. Maybe the Ref said it was the hardest meeting rather than the worst? It must have been a difficult one to handle but certainly it was not bad. I really dont know what folk want. All you get on here is wittering from so called Bandits fans, moan here, moan there, about half a dozen regular moaners on the Berwick forum who should stay at home and watch Strictly Come Dancing or something similar! LOL Come down to the Elite League tracks and then you will have something to moan about.
  • Like 1

Well if nothing else you`ve cleared up one little thing. :blink:

Why do you have to be-little a perfectly reasonable post by Fromafar with a daft "could you do better" comment,its certainly the case that the track was not at its best last saturday,and gave us not the best of meetings which is sad to see as in the previous few meetings the racing had been good to watch.On these occasions there had been rain on the day of or in the previous days to the meeting,maybe we got those tracks but luck rather than by design.

obviously I'm not at track expert or I would not be baffled,only expressing my opinion on what I pay to watch ,Razer prepares the track as he sees fit.Everything still perfect in your world that's fine by me.

And as long as you pay to watch,I believe that gives you the right to an opinion,within reason of course.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Saturday meeting despite the delays. Maybe the Ref said it was the hardest meeting rather than the worst? It must have been a difficult one to handle but certainly it was not bad. I really dont know what folk want. All you get on here is wittering from so called Bandits fans, moan here, moan there, about half a dozen regular moaners on the Berwick forum who should stay at home and watch Strictly Come Dancing or something similar! LOL Come down to the Elite League tracks and then you will have something to moan about.

I dont think the track is far away from being good, the problem is the outside is too loose and too deep. That does not suit the way the bikes are set up with the new exhausts, the new exhausts are not going anywhere in the near future, it's what we have, so simply prepare the track to suit the new set up, at least until that changes. If you are enjoying what you have, just think how much enjoyment you would get, if the track problem was solved, with safe over taking around the outside.
  • Like 2

I dont think the track is far away from being good, the problem is the outside is too loose and too deep. That does not suit the way the bikes are set up with the new exhausts, the new exhausts are not going anywhere in the near future, it's what we have, so simply prepare the track to suit the new set up, at least until that changes. If you are enjoying what you have, just think how much enjoyment you would get, if the track problem was solved, with safe over taking around the outside.

Despite my points raised a fair posting from you sir or madam
  • Like 1

Anyone who was prepared to attack the track (Kozza David Josh) did not have a problem.

Anyone who was prepared to attack the track (Kozza David Josh) did not have a problem.

Thats 3 out of 14 riders. ;)