British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chewbacca

Why No Speedway Track...?

Not sure you are right there. Modern world?....who was the cream of Glastonbury recently? The group has been around since Barry Briggs won one of his many world titles! There is a big lust for nostalgia at the moment....why?, because both old and young are fed up with the modern world!

Bring back Rickets and Scurvy. Eeh them were the days......

Which one again sums up why speedway is where it is - because it's where it and "nostalgic" fans deserve it to be.

Fed up with the modern world?

That's why there's a booming trade in care homes.

It's supposed to be a sport, for the love of God.

The reason it's dying on its arse is catering for those wallowing in senility. 70 year old presenters leaking out what passed for presentation in the 60s & 70s because they don't know any different & haven't realised that the rest of the world has moved on.

I bet you like a good record request too.

Edited by Backless

Perphaps the national speedway stadium could be sited here instead of Belle Vue, its worth the promoters having a look at least.

Sorry silly me, our promoters having a look, what chance is there of that.

Bring back Rickets and Scurvy. Eeh them were the days......

Bring back the Rockets! (Rayleigh Rockets).......not rickets! Or one for Backless....the Crickets!

Perphaps the national speedway stadium could be sited here instead of Belle Vue, its worth the promoters having a look at least.

Sorry silly me, our promoters having a look, what chance is there of that.

Is the National Speedway Stadium at Belle Vue, Manchester, still on? I haven't seen an update about that for some time - it's not the same group planning a Norwich revival is it?

Which one again sums up why speedway is where it is - because it's where it and "nostalgic" fans deserve it to be.

Fed up with the modern world?

That's why there's a booming trade in care homes.

It's supposed to be a sport, for the love of God.

The reason it's dying on its arse is catering for those wallowing in senility. 70 year old presenters leaking out what passed for presentation in the 60s & 70s because they don't know any different & haven't realised that the rest of the world has moved on.

I bet you like a good record request too.

Speedway might be dying now my cynical friend - but - if it wasn't for us oldies - IT WOULD BE DEAD!!! :angry: :angry: :mad: :mad:

• Like 1

And what? Therefore it should be tailored for and pander to the over 60s? That'll solve all the problems.

It's got to get its backside into the 21st Century & package itself accordingly. And that means attracting younger people and families.

No one said anything about excluding old folk, but if it isn't focused away from Doris & Ernie's Golden Wedding record requests it may as well pack in now.

And what? Therefore it should be tailored for and pander to the over 60s? That'll solve all the problems.

It's got to get its backside into the 21st Century & package itself accordingly. And that means attracting younger people and families.

No one said anything about excluding old folk, but if it isn't focused away from Doris & Ernie's Golden Wedding record requests it may as well pack in now.

And your suggestions on how to do this are.......

Is the National Speedway Stadium at Belle Vue, Manchester, still on? I haven't seen an update about that for some time

But then again, earlier this week you hadn't even heard that Logie-Baird's magic lantern now had an ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4.

So no surprise that you missed the news that the new Belle Vue stadium project was given the go-ahead by Manchester Council's Executive in April, and that these people http://isgplc.com/projects/ who built the London Olympics Velodrome have now been awarded the contract to build the stadium.

As regards the Ebbw Vale project it looks to be too far out into the middle of nowhere for regular speedway to be viable. I would imagine they will target a few large-scale weekend events, but wouldn't have the catchment area to provide a regular weekly support for a speedway team.

Having said that, if it's going to be a £280m investment, then the costs of including a 300m oval stadium into the project would be chicken-feed in comparison and could open up the complex to Speedway, Stock car, bangers, etc

But then again, earlier this week you hadn't even heard that Logie-Baird's magic lantern now had an ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4.

So no surprise that you missed the news that the new Belle Vue stadium project was given the go-ahead by Manchester Council's Executive in April, and that these people http://isgplc.com/projects/ who built the London Olympics Velodrome have now been awarded the contract to build the stadium.

A nice way to start Sunday on yet more sarcasm from the master of the art.

Re ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 - i have been watching these Channels for years - but knew them under various Freeview guises.

To be honest the Belle Vue venture doesn't particularly interest me - it's a low budget affair when one equates against what a proposed Manchester City redevelopment will cost. Or how much Arsenal's Emirate Stadium cost to build.

A sad reflection in fact is the belief that a grandiose name for this Manchester venture will make speedway a major sport again?

Edited by Guest

Is the National Speedway Stadium at Belle Vue, Manchester, still on? I haven't seen an update about that for some time - it's not the same group planning a Norwich revival is it?

Talking of sarcasm, if the new Belle Vue stadium doesn't interest you, then why make the sarcastic comment above?

Talking of sarcasm, if the new Belle Vue stadium doesn't interest you, then why make the sarcastic comment above?

Yes - I noticed that. BUT - it is Sunday and I didn't want to be sarcastic. ;):) :)

• Like 1

You've missed the updates that Manchester Council recently approved the plan and a contractor has been awarded the tender to build it?

OOOh pathetic sarcasm.....I thought you hated that?

Why did you ask then you clown?

Would it only have made you happy if it was going to fail? Like you hope Ebbw Vale and Norwich fail? What a miserable life you must lead

How bitter!

A £6M National stadium is fantastic. In fact Somerset, Scunthorpe and Leicester are great new venues and they're nowhere near the level of the new National Stadium complex.

Have you visited them? I've been to Somerset, Scunthorpe and Leicester many times...very enjoyable.

Then again I'm not sure what you find enjoyable.....open graves?

There's nothing better than a good sensible BSF debate! By the way, I think that Arsenal's Emirates Stadium cost £390m!

And where have I said or even indicated that I want to see Ebbw Vale or Norwich ventures to fail?

Edited by Guest

You've missed the updates that Manchester Council recently approved the plan and a contractor has been awarded the tender to build it?

Have they applied for planning permission yet?