British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Wimbledon Stadium: Some Important News

Can you elaborate on why 'Spedeworth accepted that, regardless of the planning issues, their time at Wimbledon was coming to an end'? Genuine question.

It would be sad if by Spedeworth planning to run more meetings at Foxhall speedway was put at risk.

Can you elaborate on why 'Spedeworth accepted that, regardless of the planning issues, their time at Wimbledon was coming to an end'? Genuine question.

It would be sad if by Spedeworth planning to run more meetings at Foxhall speedway was put at risk.

The reason that Spedworth are leaving Wimbledon is because the LEZ emission laws enforced in and around London making it difficult and uneconomic for many racers to transport their cars to the track.

If that bloody Poster isn't a provocation to all Speedway Fans everywhere - I don't know what is?

Take the sodding thing off this 'SPEEDWAY' Forum.

If this upsets you - I couldn't give a toss - you have upset me with that image.

How insensitive can you get.

I've only got two words for you mate - and one of them is - OFF!!!

That's very threatening isn't it ?

Implied or masked swearing, as you told me only a week or so ago is unacceptable - telling a forum member, to "something off" isn't good Ian.

Can i ask when you last attended speedway btw? Just so i can grasp the level of offence you've taken in respect the original posters comments.

Wimbledon speedway could have never been saved in the current climate. Believe me, having a track within sight of our apartment would have been lovely and i would have gone every week without fail, but no one was prepared to stump up the readies, plans, or business acumen to give any support to it staying as a viable greyhound / speedway venture.

Afc Wimbledon have done that, and fought a very long winded, public battle to get where they are - i'm honestly not sure the speedway side of things can say theyve done the same. Even things as basic as running a decent support website hasn't happened on the speedway side of things.

Dont get me wrong, its sad to see a historic speedway venue going, but its been gone for 10 years now already, which is plenty of time for supporters to get a campaign going.

Mickthemuppet is partially correct, a phrase that is rarely used!!! The low emissions zone has clearly had an impact on Spedeworth's business at Wimbledon. That said they have been working around it since the revised rules were introduced in 2012.

Now I am told that the Eatons had a meeting with Taggart's people. My stockcar contacts tell me that the Eatons didn't believe that their planning application would be successful, and even if it was, there were big question marks on their ability to deliver. I must stress that this is hearsay but would help explain Spedeworth's investment in Foxhall. Plus of course they could pick up a job lot of tip-up seats surplus to requirements once the London Olympics had ended!!!

Wimbledon speedway could have never been saved in the current climate. Believe me, having a track within sight of our apartment would have been lovely and i would have gone every week without fail, but no one was prepared to stump up the readies, plans, or business acumen to give any support to it staying as a viable greyhound / speedway venture.

Dont get me wrong, its sad to see a historic speedway venue going, but its been gone for 10 years now already, which is plenty of time for supporters to get a campaign going.

This seems a bit contradictory to me. You say that 'Wimbledon speedway could never have been saved in the current climate' but that there has been 'plenty of time for supporters to get a campaign going'.

When we closed the promoters looked at a number of other venues but were not able to agree a deal or find one that would be viable. Nick Taylor set up a nomad team to ride a number of fixtures but without the prospect of a permanent venue that came to an end.

My view is that regular league speedway in London is dead. I cannot see that new,viable venues can be found given the density of housing and the demand for more. I don't see that any supporter campaign will overcome that.

I always find it amazing how some people talk with so much conviction on subjects that they know next to nothing about. However, it is a very sad day for Greyhound, Speedway and Stock cars that are potentially seeing the destruction of their home since 1928.

• Like 1

I always find it amazing how some people talk with so much conviction on subjects that they know next to nothing about. However, it is a very sad day for Greyhound, Speedway and Stock cars that are potentially seeing the destruction of their home since 1928.

I hope that doesn't include me! If it does then I apologize if I have misrepresented anything. I wonder if you could persuade Ian to post a summary of what actually happened.

What a very odd post. The demolition of the old stadium had been agreed years ago. The question for the planners was to decide what was to be put up in its place. In the end, the planners decided, quite rightly in my view, that the AFC Wimbledon plans were the most suitable.

Having visited the Stadium recently, it's demolition can't come a moment too soon. It was like visiting an elderly relative in hospital, who once was fit and healthy, and is now waiting for the inevitable. . The once proud and vibrant building is now nothing more than a shell. Three-quarters of the stadium are closed, and what remains is a shadow of it's former glory.

As sports people, greyhound, speedway and stock car fans should celebrate that the site of the stadium will still continue as a sports venue, rather than a car auction site which was, of course, the fate that befell Hyde Road......and that was a real track!!!!

What a very odd post. The demolition of the old stadium had been agreed years ago. The question for the planners was to decide what was to be put up in its place. In the end, the planners decided, quite rightly in my view, that the AFC Wimbledon plans were the most suitable.

Having visited the Stadium recently, it's demolition can't come a moment too soon. It was like visiting an elderly relative in hospital, who once was fit and healthy, and is now waiting for the inevitable. . The once proud and vibrant building is now nothing more than a shell. Three-quarters of the stadium are closed, and what remains is a shadow of it's former glory.

As sports people, greyhound, speedway and stock car fans should celebrate that the site of the stadium will still continue as a sports venue, rather than a car auction site which was, of course, the fate that befell Hyde Road......and that was a real track!!!!

If you have taken any time to read the planning application you would soon realise that the area cannot sustain a development of that size. Wandsworth Borough council planning officers strongly objected the AFC Wimbledon plan and one officer during the meeting on Thursday night could not understand how the application had made it through to council with no real answers to the problems the environmental officers made regarding the stadium is in a flood plane, to me that does not suggest that the 'right decision' has been made.

Why would a 'sports person or people' be happy that we are getting another nondescript football stadium at the expense of sports that are part of our cultural heritage? The stadium will be redeveloped into another stadium whether is now going to be a new football stadium or a greyhound stadium remains to be seen as there will be appeals as the residents do not want AFC Wimbledon redeveloping the stadium.

In my previous post I was actually referring to your statements made about the 'perceived' lack of effort from Wimbledon Speedway fans. Clearly you have no idea about the amount of effort that firstly went into negotiating with the GRA at the time that they planned to increase the rent and the extensive search for a suitable venue in South London and Surrey that could home a speedway team.

• Like 1

That's very threatening isn't it ?

Implied or masked swearing, as you told me only a week or so ago is unacceptable - telling a forum member, to "something off" isn't good Ian.

Can i ask when you last attended speedway btw? Just so i can grasp the level of offence you've taken in respect the original posters comments.

Afc Wimbledon have done that, and fought a very long winded, public battle to get where they are - i'm honestly not sure the speedway side of things can say theyve done the same. Even things as basic as running a decent support website hasn't happened on the speedway side of things.

Aaahhh - Hello The Doctor.

In answer to your question, about two years ago. (I suspect you already know that though - don't you?).

Nothing threatening in my Post at all - it doesn't threaten anyone. (I think even Mr. Snackette would back me up on that). It does however, rather forcefully I admit, point out that this is not a Football Forum it is a Speedway Forum and that there is no place for a gloating Football Post put on, only to irritate, annoy or 'wind up' Speedway Supporters on here.

On another Thread you certainly threatened a Poster. I have certainly never said I would 'knock on anyone's door' - in the context of what you were saying on that Thread that, to me, and I suspect others Members, did constitute a threat. It isn't the first time you have done it either.

I would be obliged if you would not accuse me of doing something unpleasant that you yourself seem to take pleasure in.

Thank you.

Ian.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2

If you have taken any time to read the planning application you would soon realise that the area cannot sustain a development of that size. Wandsworth Borough council planning officers strongly objected the AFC Wimbledon plan and one officer during the meeting on Thursday night could not understand how the application had made it through to council with no real answers to the problems the environmental officers made regarding the stadium is in a flood plane, to me that does not suggest that the 'right decision' has been made.

Why would a 'sports person or people' be happy that we are getting another nondescript football stadium at the expense of sports that are part of our cultural heritage? The stadium will be redeveloped into another stadium whether is now going to be a new football stadium or a greyhound stadium remains to be seen as there will be appeals as the residents do not want AFC Wimbledon redeveloping the stadium.

In my previous post I was actually referring to your statements made about the 'perceived' lack of effort from Wimbledon Speedway fans. Clearly you have no idea about the amount of effort that firstly went into negotiating with the GRA at the time that they planned to increase the rent and the extensive search for a suitable venue in South London and Surrey that could home a speedway team.

No, I haven't taken any time to read the planning application, I leave that to the professionals. Clearly the professionals employed by the London Borough of Merton have satisfied themselves that the area can sustain a development of that size, which is why the planning committee voted UNANIMOUSLY to approve the plan.
Now the Stadium is in the London Borough of Merton, not Wandsworth.....so their views are interesting, but not relevant. A cynic may, of course, say that it’s the case of a neighboring Tory council trying to undermine a Labour authority, particularly as the plan will make a significant contribution towards Merton’s achieving its 10-year target for new homes.
Personally, I would have thought any sports fan would prefer even a "nondescript football stadium" to a car auction site!!!
I'm sure that a lot of effort went into negotiating with the GRA over the planned rent increase, and the extensive search for a new suitable venue. But that was but a few people. Where were the fans on the streets with their buckets....outside supermarkets, shopping centres and even football grounds! Sadly they were nowhere to be seen.....and that's Wimbledon's problem. You can dress it up all you like, the reason they closed in 1991 mid-season, was too few people were bothered to come through the turnstiles. AND THAT IS APATHY!!!!
Anyway, enjoy your little dream that the decision will get overturned, but given his track record what are the chances of Boris falling out with Galliard......but hey sweet dreams!!!
It's been a great weekend thus far:
  • My adoptive team Ipswich Town has just beaten the Franchise Team
  • The Town are now in the Play-Off positions
  • The Norwich Scum failed to win at home again
  • AND THE DONS ARE BACK AT THE LANE
I feel a rendition of the famous AFC Wimbledon "Champagne Song" coming on. Now all together now:
We drink champagne, we snort cocaine. we've got ladies over here,
You've got poor jobs, you mess with your dogs and your wife is on the game.
We drive Ferraris, we drink Camparis, we've got wombles in our lives,
You've got bus-stops, second hand shops and your mum's in readers wives.
We've got Gucci and Armani, we've got Prada over here,
You've got Buyright, your clothes are too tight, and your haircut's rather weird.
We are wombles super wombles, super wombles from the Lane,
we are wombles super wombles, we are wombles we drink champagne..

Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by copying the same quote twice. However, having just looked at your profile I note you are a Reading fan. Given how Reading lost its stadium to a developer who clearly didn't want speedway and who then didn't provide the new stadium promised (as I understand it) I would have thought you might have been more sympathetic to the plight of we Wimbledon supporters. In the face of an owner / developer who doesn't want the sport both clubs have sufferred a similar demise.

Is there an active campaign, that has a chance of sucess, to resurrect Reading? I have no intention with falling out with supporters of other teams, but it does illustrate the difficulty of bringing back sides who have lost their venue. Too many of us on here have lost our teams.

• Like 1

Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by copying the same quote twice. However, having just looked at your profile I note you are a Reading fan. Given how Reading lost its stadium to a developer who clearly didn't want speedway and who then didn't provide the new stadium promised (as I understand it) I would have thought you might have been more sympathetic to the plight of we Wimbledon supporters. In the face of an owner / developer who doesn't want the sport both clubs have sufferred a similar demise.

Is there an active campaign, that has a chance of sucess, to resurrect Reading? I have no intention with falling out with supporters of other teams, but it does illustrate the difficulty of bringing back sides who have lost their venue. Too many of us on here have lost our teams.

Too right Sir Sidney..

As we at Sunderland can testify. (41 years gone). :sad: :sad: :sad:

• Like 1

..........Nothing threatening in my Post at all - it doesn't threaten anyone. (I think even Mr. Snackette would back me up on that)......

Since reading your post, I am but a shadow of my former self. My self-esteem has been shot to pieces, I feel unable to talk to people, or leave the house.

Clearly I need councilling......perhaps your good friend KEITHM could recommend a psychoanalyst?

• Like 1

Yes i'm sympathetic, but its life i'm afraid. Reading fans were just as apathetic once we lost the stadium and it was obvious the new one wasnt going to be built as agreed.. Yes there was a hardcore of fans who pushed and pushed, trying different avenues and rattling cages, but it was never going to go thru in a million years.

If the club had run elsewhere in the meantime, it may have been a different story, but they didn't, and so its ended up with Smallmead effectively an overflow car park to the football stadium for years.

Oh, and TWK, how can say he was trying to "wind up " speedway supporters, when your old friend Gustix repeatedly does that comparing speedway to other sports. Is that not winding up aswell ?

Anyway, i'm back to work tonight, so you'll get some peace and quiet til tomorrow..