British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Wimbledon Stadium: Some Important News

If you start off using false information you will end up with a wrong conclusion

London "these days" isn't populated by over 50% of citizens who were born in a foreign country.Some parts of London have a population where 50% or more were born in a foreign country.But a large number of these were born in Poland,a big speedway country.Even if we know in real terms not that many Polish peple attend speedway

Totally incredible conclusion at the end.Have you never seen stadiums in India or Africa full at sporting events?Are you saying outside of WASP's nobody is interested in sport? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Read it again - he specifically said motor sport not all sport and he is absolutely correct.

Speedway, stock cars and greyhound racing are cloth cap sports that are in decline nationally, not just in london.

• Like 1

when they were analysing the referendum vote the TV pundits stated that less than half the residents of London were born in the UK, I was mere repeating that information. In the American election similar figures also apply to New YYork.

TV pictures from India show more empty seats at the cricket than full ones.

Last motorsport event planned for Wimbledon is for March 27, tickets are currently on sale from Spedeworth office there will be NO TICKETS on sale on the night. Would be nice if Deene Wood would allow at least a token recognition of the speedway history by having a couple of bikes to do a token lap or two.

Not many people know this, I was actually promoter at 2 Conference league meetings at Plough Lane to allow the normal crew to take advantage of a bargain basement cruise holiday, so think its conversion to football is criminal when there is a closed football pitch just along the road, or is that now built on?

Another London problem is advertising, City wide poster advertising isnt possible due to \Various planning/environmental laws, most shops/petrol stations these days are company owned with policies inplace that will not allow advertising for third part services or events. Local Newspaper sales are low and advertising rates are high, similarly local radio. So it becomes difficult to get your event message across to potential new customers Commercial poster sites are also expensive because there are few of them that can be used, have seen a few sites where posters have changed after 2 days. Newspapers are only interested in FOOTBALL, all other sports get little coverage, however The Cornish Guardian lost 20% of its weekly sales when Trelawny closed..

Read it again - he specifically said motor sport not all sport and he is absolutely correct.

He isn't correct.There are about 4.5 million white people in London,mainly British,Irish and Polish.That is more than any where else in the country i'd imagine and should be enough to support any sport that white people dominate.It is far more "WASP's" as in Poole or Isle of White or Plymouth.The problem has nothing to do with immigrants,it is down to speedway not appealing to the vast majority of those 4.5 million people

As it is the Stock Cars don't seem to have much trouble with crowds.I thought they were fine and would continue if they were allowed.So motor sports as such aren't affected by those asians or africans

Its conversion to football is criminal when there is a closed football pitch just along the road, or is that now built on?

Long since built upon, which you'd be well aware of if you bothered to read through this thread before asking such a question, not least because I've provided plenty of the background information within it.

To sum up fairly quickly, the confined landscape of Wimbledon FC's ground at the west end of Plough Lane (hemmed in by main roads, housing, railway lines and the River Wandle in a much smaller patch of land than Wimbledon Stadium at the east end of Plough Lane) meant it couldn't house more than 6,000 fans under the all-seater redevelopments required for high-level football after both the Bradford fire of 1985 and the Hillsborough tragedy of 1989 (its capacity was only around 12,000 despite standing-room in front of the south-side seats as well as standing-room only at both ends).

Hence Wimbledon FC shared Crystal Palace's Selhurst Park for first-team games from August 1991 with both clubs' reserve teams using Plough Lane for a few seasons until Safeway bought it for a supermarket development that was never built, leading to the site being used for residential apartments that were built in the mid-2000's.

Meanwhile, Wimbledon FC remained just about financially viable as Selhurst Park tenants thanks to TV-money plus many thousands of away fans regularly outnumbering the home support providing they could stay in the Premier League ... but relegation in May 2000 wrecked all that and led to the controversial go-ahead a couple of years later for the club's survival via re-location to Milton Keynes as MK Dons.

That triggered the formation of AFC Wimbledon at non-league level within Surrey by diehard fans hoping that one day the London Borough of Merton Council would be far keener to have high-level football compared to its very underwhelming attitude to Plough Lane's impracticalities in the 1980's & '90's ... sure enough, helped by six promotions on the pitch and re-building a fan-base at Kingstonian's ground in the next door borough, the current Merton Council have overwhelmingly backed football's bid to return to Plough Lane, albeit on the current greyhound site rather than the old football site.

Throw in that the present greyhound owners have no intention revamping it for that sport's larger oval floorspace when they know they can build more apartments within a football revamp requiring a smaller rectangular floorspace and now you're reasonably up-to-date (even more so if you finally read this thread in full).

Edited by arthur cross

Plans are already being put in place to acknowledge speedway being one of the founder sports at the Plough Lane Stadium.

TheDonsDen (you can join this group on Facebook) will be in attendance at the last Motorsport event (26th) at plough Lane...... Watch out in the next few days for an update.

• Like 1

I moved out of London in 2002, so have no idea abut any building in Plough lane since that time.

Reads more like Cross Arthur than Arthur Cross

And clearly no idea either about skimming through the previous posts on a forum thread to find out the answer to a question you don't even need to ask because the answer's there already !! ... post-331 would have required you to go just a few pages back for plenty of information.

Some folk on this thread have greatly appreciated the depth of info I've been able to provide as this saga's developed.

In contrast, despite me still taking the trouble to answer a question you didn't even need to ask if you weren't so lazy, you choose to think you're oh-so-clever by twisting my name instead of showing any appreciation of your own.

In case you're wondering, I both hate and pity any people who wallow in their own ignorance.

when they were analysing the referendum vote the TV pundits stated that less than half the residents of London were born in the UK, I was mere repeating that information. In the American election similar figures also apply to New YYork.

TV pictures from India show more empty seats at the cricket than full ones.

Stadiums will be completely full in India once the ODI and T20 cricket starts, Test matches just don't get the support unless it's a weekend and Kohli is unbeaten on 99 overnight :lol:

Plans are already being put in place to acknowledge speedway being one of the founder sports at the Plough Lane Stadium.

TheDonsDen (you can join this group on Facebook) will be in attendance at the last Motorsport event (26th) at plough Lane...... Watch out in the next few days for an update.

The latest item available in regard to the 2017 end of motorsport at Wimbledon Stadium.Sadly speedway which started at Plough Lane in the late 1920s does not look likely - at the moment - to be represented at the Grand Farewell?

15317883_10154747707038664_8392837848483

Edited by Guest

I am sure that if they were asked that promoters Spedeworth Motorsport would permit a stationary display of some sort inside the stadium at the final Plough Lane meeting in recognition of the respected role speedway had for so many years at the stadium.

Edited by Guest

Not sure I follow your post Gustix. Post #427, which you quoted in your previous post, suggests plans are being made so that speedway is represented on the last night. What makes you thinkk that it won't be?

I am sure that if they were asked that promoters Spedeworth Motorsport would permit a stationary display of some sort inside the stadium at the final Plough Lane meeting in recognition of the respected role speedway had for so many years at the stadium.

Not sure I follow your post Gustix. Post #427, which you quoted in your previous post, suggests plans are being made so that speedway is represented on the last night. What makes you thinkk that it won't be?

Thank you Sir Sidney for refreshing my old memory. That's excellent news. Like your goodself I look forward to more details as to what speedway plans are for the last night of Wimbledon Stadium. I know that the car racing fraternity are going to make a big night of the event from their perspective - they have been there continuously since 1962.

Edited by Guest

Forwarded message:-

15675587_1238202672925595_36268754385669
Save Wimbledon Stadium Action Group
'MIRACLE ON PLOUGH LANE' - Santa Brings Us All An Early Present !!
Dramatic news has reached us concerning our application to have the stadium listed.
Earlier this year our request was rejected, and so we submitted 'a substantial body of evidence' for consideration.
With immense gratitude to Historic England, we can confirm today that they have asked to carry out a fresh full assessment, that is likely to also include a site visit.
Compared to where we were just a few days ago, this is a major development in the continuing efforts to Save Wimbledon Stadium.
"Merry Christmas everyone!"
Edited by Guest