British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shadders

Sheffield Select V Rye House (pl)... 18th July @ 7.45pm

There is so much wrong I don't know where to start. Part of the problem is down to the stadium owners, part of it is the promoters as a group and part is down to the Sheffield promotion.

The stadium owners spent millions on an extension to the Panorama Room which is fine if you want a carvery but the rest of the stadium is falling to bits. The third bend bar has been shut for years, the first bend bar is shut and the terracing on the first turn is crumbling away. My mum and dad have been going to the speedway since 1960 but have stopped going because my mum needs to sit down at a meeting now and its either dusty steps or bar. They have chosen neither.

The promoters have turned people away with their stupid double points / obsession with averages rules. Tracks having to release rider because they have an average of 0.01 too high etc. The promoters regularly say they hate the obsession with minutiae of averages but do nowt about it.

The Sheffield promotion have put together the most awful teams in the last two years. The rot set in last season when we replaced Parker/Ashworth/Auty with Franc/Hall/Wells and put the admission prices up. The presentation is dire - introducing the riders from 7 to 1 while they stand there with their helmets on is simply not good enough - not to mention the funeral procession music to walk out to. I keep banging on about a programme and perhaps there could be a free race card for those that don't want to buy it. But there is so much to be gained from a programme - not least some information about the riders and a feeling that you are part of something. I have been going for 40 years and always felt part of a club / family and that I almost knew the riders personally because I read all about them in the programme. Now I get none of those feelings whatsoever. I know nothing about Damien Koppe, Facu Albin etc. There is no atmosphere and there doesn't seem to be many first time fans coming along. If there were any, would they have a clue what was going on. Probably not, as there is no explanation about what is happening over the tannoy and, of course, no room in the 'programme' to tell people.

Sheffield Speedway is part of so many people's lives and it is so sad to see the club in the state it is in and the massive gaps on the terraces. It's also sad to see people who care about it enough to come on here and post being slagged off with 'well, if you can do better etc.'

• Like 4

Any chance you can help us out tonight please? Bring your kevs and helmet, Jake said you can ride his bike and the ref will sort you out a day licence. If you can do that I'll carry on and find a guest to sort our next problem out but as it takes one and a half days to get copy into the Star and the sub editors often snip important information (they are not Speedway folk you see) please don't expect to read about tonight's line up until Saturday.

Another thing. We know you have put a lot of faith in Jake Knight, just like you did with Jordan Tyrer. I hope it pays off and, as a purist, I would have preferred a club asset at number 7 instead of a guest. However, the poster makes a fair point in an inoffensive manner and an earlier post said that he would be at the speedway regardless. I hope that still is the case after your unnecessary post. Only another 700 people or so to upset I suppose.

• Like 1

I'm a little saddened to see this, really.

I can't help feeling it's a bit of a concerning insight into the poor state of things at Sheffield at the moment.

Of course you are and so am I, if you read Tigerowl's post you will see genuine frustration expressed in a non personal way, it's as constructive as it can be under the current circumstances. A minority continue to be sarcastic and personal and believe that we are accountable through this forum, I am approachable, I will explain and discuss these issues on a one to one basis and answer honestly or say I cannot answer at all.

I stopped visiting this forum regularly month's ago, occasionally my attention is drawn to posts usually by family members who are surprised at some of the comments when they can see the time and energy that is put into the sport generally without any thanks whatsoever. Jake Knight was mentioned in the PR because we needed to explain why he was not replacing Damien tonight - damned if we do and damned if we don't. The team news that has caused so much consternation is given to the press on a Monday but it was a day late this week because we did not know if the USA were going through to the Race Off in the SWC. We only publish the line ups the day before anyway and this was done yesterday albeit 4 or 5 hours later than usual because of the delay previously mentioned. Our programme is printed on a Thursday morning and if we are lucky we can make late changes to the racecard but for us to publicise the reasons why riders pull out of individual meetings like they did last week would really put the tin hat on it, injuries excepted of course.

What is equally frustrating for me is the fundamental lack of understanding of the complex rules by many fans, even rules that are understood are often interpreted in more than one way. It's almost impossible and this gives the impression we are doing nothing about our problems, we had Adam Roynon under wraps for almost a month but could not introduce him until the regulations allowed, in the meantime we were cursed from a dog to a bitch for allegedly doing nothing. It was suggested by some of the more negative posters that we sign certain riders as a replacement for Simon, one was already out injured another rides in Sweden on a Thursday, another has 5 fixture clashes that would take him to his EL club first, some of these guys simply say thanks but no thanks I'd rather go here or there instead. Just 2 weeks ago a potential number 1 told us he did not want to come to the UK this year and within a week had signed for another club, money was never even mentioned so right now I cannot see a better option than a guest at number 1 not withstanding the possibility that Simon may be in a position to return at some point.

Our problems are not unique at all in the current economical climate and some of the solutions go further than Olwerton, only time will tell.

Currently we have Richard Hall carrying an injury with Simon, Damien and now Joe in the wars, Richard came back too soon from his Berwick crash, Simon from his Workington crash, Damien from his Somerset crash, Facu from his Sheffield crash and Joe wanted to try and ride tonight but pull out if he can't cope. All of this because they are committed and want to do the best they possibly can for the team, losing Simon has been a massive blow to us all we built the team around him and are consequently exposed, it's bad enough losing meetings and trying to keep spirits up without having to hear some of the ill thought out comments that appear in the public domain. Partners, parents and sponsors all make sacrifices and cannot understand some of the vitriol levelled at their rider."it's only frustration" and "it goes with the job" are excuses used by the perpetrators and show even less regard for the targets.

I hope you don't feel this post is aimed at you SS, please view it as a general response to some of the points raised across the thread.

Do have a nice day.

• Like 9

Of course you are and so am I, if you read Tigerowl's post you will see genuine frustration expressed in a non personal way, it's as constructive as it can be under the current circumstances. A minority continue to be sarcastic and personal and believe that we are accountable through this forum, I am approachable, I will explain and discuss these issues on a one to one basis and answer honestly or say I cannot answer at all.

I stopped visiting this forum regularly month's ago, occasionally my attention is drawn to posts usually by family members who are surprised at some of the comments when they can see the time and energy that is put into the sport generally without any thanks whatsoever. Jake Knight was mentioned in the PR because we needed to explain why he was not replacing Damien tonight - damned if we do and damned if we don't. The team news that has caused so much consternation is given to the press on a Monday but it was a day late this week because we did not know if the USA were going through to the Race Off in the SWC. We only publish the line ups the day before anyway and this was done yesterday albeit 4 or 5 hours later than usual because of the delay previously mentioned. Our programme is printed on a Thursday morning and if we are lucky we can make late changes to the racecard but for us to publicise the reasons why riders pull out of individual meetings like they did last week would really put the tin hat on it, injuries excepted of course.

What is equally frustrating for me is the fundamental lack of understanding of the complex rules by many fans, even rules that are understood are often interpreted in more than one way. It's almost impossible and this gives the impression we are doing nothing about our problems, we had Adam Roynon under wraps for almost a month but could not introduce him until the regulations allowed, in the meantime we were cursed from a dog to a bitch for allegedly doing nothing. It was suggested by some of the more negative posters that we sign certain riders as a replacement for Simon, one was already out injured another rides in Sweden on a Thursday, another has 5 fixture clashes that would take him to his EL club first, some of these guys simply say thanks but no thanks I'd rather go here or there instead. Just 2 weeks ago a potential number 1 told us he did not want to come to the UK this year and within a week had signed for another club, money was never even mentioned so right now I cannot see a better option than a guest at number 1 not withstanding the possibility that Simon may be in a position to return at some point.

Our problems are not unique at all in the current economical climate and some of the solutions go further than Olwerton, only time will tell.

Currently we have Richard Hall carrying an injury with Simon, Damien and now Joe in the wars, Richard came back too soon from his Berwick crash, Simon from his Workington crash, Damien from his Somerset crash, Facu from his Sheffield crash and Joe wanted to try and ride tonight but pull out if he can't cope. All of this because they are committed and want to do the best they possibly can for the team, losing Simon has been a massive blow to us all we built the team around him and are consequently exposed, it's bad enough losing meetings and trying to keep spirits up without having to hear some of the ill thought out comments that appear in the public domain. Partners, parents and sponsors all make sacrifices and cannot understand some of the vitriol levelled at their rider."it's only frustration" and "it goes with the job" are excuses used by the perpetrators and show even less regard for the targets.

I hope you don't feel this post is aimed at you SS, please view it as a general response to some of the points raised across the thread.

Do have a nice day.

Now this was a huge improvement on the last post. Posts like this are interesting and helpful to us fans. They allow us to know whats going on and allows us to share your frustration.

More of this and less of the, "oh FFS it's the fans again" that we normally get and I think you'd be suprised and how happier the fans would be.

Lawson, Compton, Sarjeant, R/R are all in

Do have a nice day.

Well Done David, an excellent post.

Should be more Promoters coming on to explain situations, then maybe supporters may understand situations more or why things happen.

As much as I hated last season but for, injuries I think that we would have done much better this season and I could at least see a two year plan with us building for a bigger season and us going for the honours in 2014.

But this season I think we have seen a team that has not clicked all at the same time either through injuries or riders losing form, when we had sign Adam Roynon I felt that we had cracked it , but no sooner had Adam signed we lost our most influential rider in Simon Stead, and with the team been built the way it was you need a leader like Simon Stead.

Lets hope we can change things around and get back to a position that we are more accustomed to being at the other end of the table.

• Like 3

I would rather have James in the side than Jake, bur what a farce again. The management want to use their own asset but are not allowed to do so because he is not in a declared 1-7 and have to use a guest instead. This sport needs a right kick up the pants.

Also, I've got to agree that the management seem to have lost interest this season. It's sad to see because there have been some great times over the last few years.

The rules are a joke how can the sport ever be considered professional this rule well unreal really.

Do have a nice day.

Respect great post. Edited by sidney

Do have a nice day.

Thanks for that Hoggy it really is good to see the menagement coming onto this forum to try to explain their (and our) frustrations.

If the suggestions and criticisms on this forum are regarded in a positive fashion then I'm sure everyone will realise that we are all on the same side and the reasons are BECAUSE WE CARE.

Keep it up, keep us informed and you'll see far more positivity from most of the posters on here.

Best of luck for tonight and Saturday.

Thanks hoggy for your 2 posts,in reply to your 1st post im sorry but although I would love to turn out tonight and help you out my age is against me mate.After supporting Sheffield home and away for 52 years and witnessing good and bad times it upsets me to see the way it it going down hill in recent seasons.As regards jake thank him for the offer but I may damage the lads bike.I was not having a go at jake but when YOU dropped him he was down on confidence and not scoring points so I could not understand your logic to put him in tonight against a team who have alredy beat us at home when the lad has hardly rode since ? I appreciate it is difficult to replace steady or get guests but as you take our money each week we would all like to be kept upto date even if riders are turning you down.If you follow football coverage about transfers the supporters get excited whether they sign or not.It gets people talking.It creates interest.It is so flat at Sheffield.When your on the centre green tonight take a look around and see for yourself,im not the only one who thinks it.Read on here how many are not going tonight.Sorry if im passionate about my club but ive been following Sheffield longer than you've been involved at the club.Thanks for your second post it was very imformative.Good luck to the team tonight but I think it will be close,hope im wrong,

Wasn't going to bother going tonight, but as sheffield are not riding, there may be some entertaining racing, so I've changed my mind.Mind you, a reduction in admission cost would have been a nice gesture.

Now this was a huge improvement on the last post. Posts like this are interesting and helpful to us fans. They allow us to know whats going on and allows us to share your frustration.

More of this and less of the, "oh FFS it's the fans again" that we normally get and I think you'd be suprised and how happier the fans would be.

Well Done David, an excellent post.

Should be more Promoters coming on to explain situations, then maybe supporters may understand situations more or why things happen.

Respect great post.

Thanks for that Hoggy it really is good to see the menagement coming onto this forum to try to explain their (and our) frustrations.

Nice post David

Thanks hoggy for your 2 posts,

I don't want to say i told you so but.................... :D

Great post, Dave.

I was going to say how much such posts are valued but SCB said it better than I could.

Absolutely spot on :approve: , I couldn't agree more.

Sometimes I get the opinion that promotions regard fans as a set of imbeciles, tolerated solely for the money they spend. In actual fact, the overwhelming majority of fans genuinely care about the sport, are concerned about falling gates and income and want it to grow and prosper. In that, the only difference between supporters and promotions is financial involvement.

So when we get a honest, fair and reasonable opinion from a member of speedway's management that interfaces with us all and treats us as fellow fanatics it is greatly valued and appreciated.

Edited by Halifaxtiger