British Speedway Forum

NOT Monster's policy to reveal what they pay whether for events or individual riders like Gollob, Hancock and Holder.

Actually not that unusual across the sporting spectrum. Some companies like the publicity, others not. Nike happy to reveal what they pay McIlroy although not Woods.

NOT Monster's policy to reveal what they pay whether for events or individual riders like Gollob, Hancock and Holder.

Actually not that unusual across the sporting spectrum. Some companies like the publicity, others not. Nike happy to reveal what they pay McIlroy although not Woods.

I don't think it is any of our business anyway. :neutral: :neutral:

I don't think it is any of our business anyway.

Why is it not? In more mainstream sports, the media, consultancy companies and even academics make it their business to find out and report on such things.

It's relevant in speedway because the size of sponsorship reflects the sport's commercial value to some extent, plus it may open discussion about where the money goes.

All things that journals of record should be asking, but this of course is speedway...

Why is it not? In more mainstream sports, the media, consultancy companies and even academics make it their business to find out and report on such things.

It's relevant in speedway because the size of sponsorship reflects the sport's commercial value to some extent, plus it may open discussion about where the money goes.

All things that journals of record should be asking, but this of course is speedway...

I mean't - what was on the Riders Pay Slip has nothing to do with us - and I don't think it has.............................

How would YOU like your Pay Slip published on here for all in sundry to see Humphrey?

SORRY but most of that is rubbish. The financial details of the vast majority of sponsorship deals are not made public. Doesn't matter how many times the question is asked if the people don't want to answer. And, as WTK, says why should they? We don't have a divine right, only a morbid curiosity, to know who pays who what.

I find it bizarre that speedway fans think that what riders are paid in sponsorship, points money or frankly anything else to do with their personal finances is any of their business

I buy the Speedway Star but as a customer I do not see it as my business to know what Philip Rising is paid, can't think of any reason why I would to know either to be honest

• Like 1

No, the great thing about journalists is their fantastic ability to juggle as many double standards as possible just to sell copy.

All at the same time.

No story is complete without including a person's age, their house price and wherever possible their earnings.

Right or wrong is irrelevant.

Any possible detail of finances is included in a story for the simple reason that most readers want to know it.

Even though no one admits it.

'We' are above all that.

It's 'them' that want to know. You know. Those people who are 'no better than they ought'.

And quite right no journalist would want to tell anyone how much they were paid.

But Wayne Rooney.

He's fair game.

Anyone who 'respects' Monsters right to keep such things a secret.

Is perfectly entiltled to do so

But no one will confiscate their NUJ card for revealing all that they know.

I find it bizarre that speedway fans think that what riders are paid in sponsorship, points money or frankly anything else to do with their personal finances is any of their business

I buy the Speedway Star but as a customer I do not see it as my business to know what Philip Rising is paid, can't think of any reason why I would to know either to be honest

I agree to an extent. When I was going to speedway I didn't care if the promoter made, or lost, a fortune. Likewise i didn't really care whether the riders made or lost money. I only cared that I was entertained to the value of the admission I paid.

So while you may be right that we have no real right to know what a rider/promoter is earning they are quick enough to tell all and sundry when they are losing money and expecting the public to help bail them out.

Surely transparency is a two way thing

• Like 2

I mean't - what was on the Riders Pay Slip has nothing to do with us - and I don't think it has.............................

How would YOU like your Pay Slip published on here for all in sundry to see Humphrey?

I could post mine if you like, it would give everyone a good chuckle :rofl: im a postie btw

We're not asking how much individual riders get paid, but the value of sponsorship of one commercial company by another. Entirely different matter, especially as there's a degree of public interest in how much the FIM accrues and where it goes.

Doesn't matter how many times the question is asked if the people don't want to answer. And, as WTK, says why should they?

Most companies with significant sponsorships normally want to trumpet them to high heaven.

No they don't have to tell anyone, and the public doesn't particularly have a right to know about. Nevertheless, it's usually easy enough for interested people to find out in due course, and indeed sections of the media are devoted to such matters.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

The salaries of the players in the professional sports leagues in North America are public for all to see.

What is stopping speedway from doing the same? Why a need for such secrecy?

After all it us fans and sponsors that are the ones that are paying the riders salaries aren't it?

So why shouldn't we be allowed to know how much salary we are paying?

• Like 1

The salaries of the players in the professional sports leagues in North America are public for all to see.

What is stopping speedway from doing the same? Why a need for such secrecy?

After all it us fans and sponsors that are the ones that are paying the riders salaries aren't it?

So why shouldn't we be allowed to know how much salary we are paying?

I await seeing your Pay details on here with interest.

• Like 1

What does my pay details have to do with this?

Well a Permanent Under-Secretary earns between 150K and 250K, if that helps... ;)

Shouldn't take too long to work out what I earn. Senior Analyst Developer (or Technical Analyst) in central Bristol. 2 minutes on each of monster.co.uk, jobsite.co.uk and totaljobs.co.uk should give you a very good idea. Now where can I go to find out what a speedway rider earns? I don't wnat to know the specifics of a particular rider, just a general figure.