British Speedway Forum

You'd be surprised how much support there is for the youngsters at Poole.

So much that the NL team lasted one whole (Championship-winning) season.

• Like 2

If our 16-year-olds were as grown up and as responsible as human beings as the Aussies, Scandinavians and Poles, that would be a good start...and the sort of parenting and upbringing to bring them to that sort of state should cost NOTHING!
Yeah, because Lindback and Ward are paragons of virtue right?

So much that the NL team lasted one whole (Championship-winning) season.

2 seasons actually and thoroughly enjoyable they were too. Unfortunatly people just couldnt afford 2 meetings a week and it was losing money hand over fist. It might worth a go now that there are so few elite fixtures but I really don't think its a viable proposition unless you own your own stadium or have bottomless pockets.

Edited by Pirate Nick

Yeah, because Lindback and Ward are paragons of virtue right?

Like Barker and Morris?!

2 seasons actually and thoroughly enjoyable they were too. Unfortunatly people just couldnt afford 2 meetings a week and it was losing money hand over fist. It might worth a go now that there are so few elite fixtures but I really don't think its a viable proposition unless you own your own stadium or have bottomless pockets.

Yes, sorry, two seasons. Even so, I'd have thought that, given all the support there is in Poole for youngsters, that a second team would have proved a workable proposition, especially since the Wildcats closed down.

Yes, sorry, two seasons. Even so, I'd have thought that, given all the support there is in Poole for youngsters, that a second team would have proved a workable proposition, especially since the Wildcats closed down.

Sadly not also bear in mind that the Wildcats were only getting 100 or so every week including holidaymakers. I dont think many of them have been making the trip up on a Wednesday. as I said I don't think its a viable proposition unless you own the stadium. bear in mind Poole only get the gate money, no car park or food and drink.

ps Don't half miss Weymouth, great little track.

Very fair point to accept people at Poole couldn't afford 2 meetings a week when both the Elite & National Leagues were being run at Wimborne Road ... in fact, it's not just the money aspect of 2 meetings a week that people can't afford because too many of them probably found it harder than they expected to spare the time to attend twice a week.

Edinburgh/Armadale, Newcastle (both Premier & Conference 2002-03-04), Newport (several seasons), Stoke (when they were still in the Premier as well as the Conference), Sheffield and Swindon (remember, the Sprockets existed about a decade ago) all found it was really easy for supporters to be enthusiastic in advance about all the extra speedway that was going to be on offer to them.

But plenty of that enthusiasm didn't translate into supporters actually turning up, especially for the Conference/National action in dodgier weather, hence proving what any crowd-pulling sports team should remember about being realistic that their crowd will always look forward to next time instead of starting to feel it's a bit of a chore going to watch yet another meeting in too busy a schedule.

Edited by arthur cross

Very fair point to accept people at Poole couldn't afford 2 meetings a week when both the Elite & National Leagues were being run at Wimborne Road ... in fact, it's not just the money aspect of 2 meetings a week that people can't afford because too many of them probably found it harder than they expected to spare the time to attend twice a week.

Edinburgh/Armadale, Newcastle (both Premier & Conference 2002-03-04), Newport (several seasons), Stoke (when they were still in the Premier as well as the Conference), Sheffield and Swindon (remember, the Sprockets existed about a decade ago) all found it was really easy for supporters to be enthusiastic in advance about all the extra speedway that was going to be on offer to them.

But plenty of that enthusiasm didn't translate into supporters actually turning up, especially for the Conference/National action in dodgier weather, hence proving what any crowd-pulling sports team should remember about being realistic that their crowd will always look forward to next time instead of starting to feel it's a bit of a chore going to watch yet another meeting in too busy a schedule.

Speedway is now reaping the "rewards" of not investing in the future. I can't think of any sport that expects their reserve/ minor league / training teams to run at a profit. If the higher leagues had manged their expenses at a sustainable level, the TV money would have enabled them to subsiidize the development of future stars.

Hence the reason why we(Newcastle) combined the meetings and held them on Sunday afternoons from 2003. We copied Newport. who had found it more viable to them.

By birth Crump IS British!

Not so. Children take the direct line from their parents - and I think you'll find his father (and grandfather come to that) were Australians. Phil Crump and Neil Street.

More Brits encouraged in the EL? I like this description on the Lakeside Hammers website that describes this week's visitors King's Lynn: "

The Stars will be led the Danish World Cup captain Niels Kristian Iversen and will also include Andzejs Lebedevs, who also competed in the recent World Cup for Latvia. Also included in the stars side are three other Danish riders, Lasse Bjerre, Mads Korneliussen and Nicklas Porsing, Australian Rory Schlein and former Hammer Richie Worrall.

Edited by Guest

Not so. Children take the direct line from their parents - and I think you'll find his father (and grandfather come to that) were Australians. Phil Crump and Neil Street.

More Brits encouraged in the EL? I like this description on the Lakeside Hammers website that describes this week's visitors King's Lynn: "

The Stars will be led the Danish World Cup captain Niels Kristian Iversen and will also include Andzejs Lebedevs, who also competed in the recent World Cup for Latvia. Also included in the stars side are three other Danish riders, Lasse Bjerre, Mads Korneliussen and Nicklas Porsing, Australian Rory Schlein and former Hammer Richie Worrall.

I am British but my son was born in the US. He is automatically an American citizen but also qualifies for British citizenship through my wife and I. You have to fill in some paperwork to prove you are British and submit it. I want to say I submitted it to the British Embassy in Washington DC but I can't remember now. I assume the same would apply between Britain/Australia.

I should have said from their MALE parent.

When you start riding in Poland the club takes care of you they provide everything bike,methanol,mechanic the cost to you its nothing ,I remember Rzeszow having practice on track at least once a week during speedway season off season they have indoor practice sessions usually exercising early spring they all ride motocross .

I am putting this in the EL section but it applies to all speedway in this country (Note: So is therefore moved to where it should be). No solutions here but just questions and personal thoughts.

There are few Brits in the EL and not so many in the PL. The NL has several but how many carry onto progress? There are a few that have done very well but these are few.

Many reasons spring to mind but three I think are strong are lack of practise and training facilities, lack of finance for equipment and travel plus the third which I think could be a big factor the very large choice of other sports they can choose from in this country that cost less and are far cheaper to take part in, also if they are good bring far bigger financial rewards.

I mean the obvious soccer which is everywhere but also rugby and cricket for two examples that do not exist in Poland, Sweden and Denmark.

These three countries bring on constant streams of new young riders but look at their training facilities and the fact that they start very young. Soccer can always take some away but they do not have as many choices as here.

Australia is very different. They produce riders all the time and have a great choice of sports. However, they do have much more space than any of us for young lads to get out on motor cycles.

As I said I have no solutions but would be interested in others views.

Because the Leagues are full of foreigners.

Abroad speedway is still very popular and young kids want to ride a speedway bike. You see them hanging round the pits or at practice sessions. They dream to be a speedway rider and some are lucky to make it.

In the UK kids just dont seem interested in speedway or other motor sports and dont dream of being the next big thing or world champion.

The lads coming over from motocross are good and find they can earn a living from speedway where they cant in motocross. I dont think they will world class but good riders.

Maybe its the times now as i find all young people i know dont even want to go watch let alone ride.

My boy is now just 13 and i would love him to ride motocross or speedway but just not interested :cry: He rode motocross and had good abilty at 5, he wanted to ride everyday and i had to take him down the back field, but just said one day no thanks and bikes just sat there.

I think lots of other parents must have the same thing. Kids just want play tennis, criket football and so on.

Speedway just does not appeal now to them or large numbers of kids, as i dont think its seen as cool or a long term thing.

Its a pity really as there are many good UK companies to back the right people but its getting the right people to back.

• Like 1