British Speedway Forum
THE DEAN MACHINE

Buxton Speedway 20th Anniversary Air Fence Challenge 29/9

I can't find any results from this meeting anywhere, can someone help please? Thank You.

Well well well... old moxey63 attended his first live speedway event at Buxton yesterday, after six years of saying he probably wouldn't be seen near another speedway track in person.

One for nostalgia as I am, the old fogies in the line-up persuaded me to dust off my programme board, perfect programme pen and set off with our kid on the hour and half journey from Salford to the wonderful snug little track.

I paid for my first speedway in years... and I was happy to do so. My time watching at Belle Vue was often a freebie and I never object to paying to attend Buxton. Just nowadays I am more choosy what my cash is used for.

Shame was, I forgot how cold it can get up that way... shown up in my shorts didn't I, but, despite this, the slick presentation of racing and the effort put in by the competitors made me feel it was a tenner and time out worth spent.

I have discovered, after several years away, that speedway isn't quite the same watching at home on tele. You can't smell it, feel the vibration of the bikes or get a wave off a rider who is doing it for the love... for the love... of the sport.

Thanks to everyone who muddled yesterday's event together... you made this old geezer very happy.

It was a shame Jan O. didn't ride, but I saw enough to prove that I still love this old sport, when it is staged right and you feel the guys are doing it for you and, in turn, you wanna support them and cheer them on. What an afternoon it was.

Now, I had to sit through the bore that was the European Championship later... the racing was fine, no probs, but what about all the hold ups and restarts, riders changing bikes, changing helmets and mechanics... even their undies (perhaps).

The gentlemen in the afternoon really just wanted to crack on with the show, no tantrums or Hollywooding it, just wanting to get out there and do their thing.

The old boys had some character; the youngsters later on in the Poland meeting just didn't know how to captivate me.

Then again, there was no smell, no roar of engines or their vibrations.

Ditch SKY, and let's get back to actually attending our local tracks. Though I wouldn't say Buxton is my local, you know what I mean.

Thanks Mr Felton and all your chorus line. A wonderful afternoon it was.

Let's have more old timers back in the saddle, more of these meetings. Old moxey wouldn't blink spending a couple more quid, every now and again.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 4

A big thank you to everyone that took part in "Beat the Starter" yesterday. Chris Simpson got the fastest time of the day with a time of 1523 but kindly donated the prize back. So the winner on the day was David Alexander with a time of 1543. He wins a day at the Andy Meredith Speedway Academy. We raised £76 on the day. :t: David has now donated £24 to round off the amount to £100! Thank you David!!

Well well well... old moxey63 attended his first live speedway event at Buxton yesterday, after six years of saying he probably wouldn't be seen near another speedway track in person.

One for nostalgia as I am, the old fogies in the line-up persuaded me to dust off my programme board, perfect programme pen and set off with our kid on the hour and half journey from Salford to the wonderful snug little track.

I paid for my first speedway in years... and I was happy to do so. My time watching at Belle Vue was often a freebie and I never object to paying to attend Buxton. Just nowadays I am more choosy what my cash is used for.

Shame was, I forgot how cold it can get up that way... shown up in my shorts didn't I, but, despite this, the slick presentation of racing and the effort put in by the competitors made me feel it was a tenner and time out worth spent.

I have discovered, after several years away, that speedway isn't quite the same watching at home on tele. You can't smell it, feel the vibration of the bikes or get a wave off a rider who is doing it for the love... for the love... of the sport.

Thanks to everyone who muddled yesterday's event together... you made this old geezer very happy.

It was a shame Jan O. didn't ride, but I saw enough to prove that I still love this old sport, when it is staged right and you feel the guys are doing it for you and, in turn, you wanna support them and cheer them on. What an afternoon it was.

Now, I had to sit through the bore that was the European Championship later... the racing was fine, no probs, but what about all the hold ups and restarts, riders changing bikes, changing helmets and mechanics... even their undies (perhaps).

The gentlemen in the afternoon really just wanted to crack on with the show, no tantrums or Hollywooding it, just wanting to get out there and do their thing.

The old boys had some character; the youngsters later on in the Poland meeting just didn't know how to captivate me.

Then again, there was no smell, no roar of engines or their vibrations.

Ditch SKY, and let's get back to actually attending our local tracks. Though I wouldn't say Buxton is my local, you know what I mean.

Thanks Mr Felton and all your chorus line. A wonderful afternoon it was.

Let's have more old timers back in the saddle, more of these meetings. Old moxey wouldn't blink spending a couple more quid, every now and again.

happy you enjoyed the day. wasnt sure if supporters would get behind the idea but they did. i did encourage the riders to throw a tantrum with the ref if they got excluded but they had no exclutions and all of them enjoyed the day. really dissappinted by jano as he never notified me he wouldnt be riding and he still hasnt and i didnt find out till the saturday .thank you for richard juul for stepping in and was a pleasure to work with him .on a personal level i was gutted that i never got to race my all time hero sam cause he crashed in his 3rd ride but it was great event and it was also good to ride in a meeting without stupid bike rules. hopefully we raised enough money for an air fence.thank you to all those who supported the event Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3

Well done Dean , so if you raised enough for an air fence , does that mean Buxtons Immediate future is no longer Hanging in the balance and they will be racing in 2014 ?

happy you enjoyed the day. wasnt sure if supporters would get behind the idea but they did. i did encourage the riders to throw a tantrum with the ref if they got excluded but they had no exclutions and all of them enjoyed the day. really dissappinted by jano as he never notified me he wouldnt be riding and he still hasnt and i didnt find out till the saturday .thank you for richard juul for stepping in and was a pleasure to work with him .on a personal level i was gutted that i never got to race my all time hero sam cause he crashed in his 3rd ride but it was great event and it was also good to ride in a meeting without stupid bike rules. hopefully we raised enough money for an air fence.thank you to all those who supported the event

Dean

You did a great job... also made a grown man happy by the smile you gave me through the pits mesh inbetween one heat. As a 50 year-old who has seen it all, it's amazing how something like that still gets me. I'll never get bored of looking up to speedway riders.

• Like 1

i can not answer for buxton speedway but i expect buxton to be around for another 20years

• Like 3

Dean

You did a great job... also made a grown man happy by the smile you gave me through the pits mesh inbetween one heat. As a 50 year-old who has seen it all, it's amazing how something like that still gets me. I'll never get bored of looking up to speedway riders.

What a beautiful story Moxey.

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/milanj/milanj0612/milanj061200197/687847-young-man-located-behind-a-wire-fence.jpg

:rofl:

• Like 1

Gary O'Hare 7 , Richard Juul 10, Kevin Lttle 7, Tony Atkin 12, Glyn Taylor 7, Alam Grahame 7, Rob Grant Snr 0, Bernie Collier 3, Sam Ermolenko 6, Dave Harvey 1, Aiden Collins 4, Andy Meredith 5, Les Collins 2, Ian Barney 10, Rob Hollingworth 8. Res : Alec Gooch 0, Graham Tattersall 0.