British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CardinalSin

Ipswich Vs Berwick Thursday August 1st 7.30pm

I think that was his nightmare 2011 meeting. Last season, Ashworth scored 9+1 in the KOC-Up match and 5+1 in the PL match - including 3 heat wins and 3 non-finishes.

its the same rubbish Ricky again tonight

that boring Ashworth is tweeting during the meeting ha

Can't remember the last time I saw him ride so poorly, apart from the 2007 PL play off final at Rye

Well ricky has been out for the best part of a season tbf...

Granted, but I was looking for him to score better than that after his recent haul in the test match

Must admit, one of the most boring meetings I've ever seen for racing.

Can only beat what's put infront of you, tonight it was a one man team - Kozza Smith plus 6 others.

that boring Ashworth is tweeting during the meeting ha

Hopefully they were more productive than his on track performance, he was dire to be honest.

A routine win for the Witches and a very ordinary meeting racing wise.

Two excellent races to finish with - take bow Morten and Kozza for heat 15.

Shame that Adam missed out on his full house.

That was a shocker of a meeting! Two poor meetings - two weeks running! Shame cos it was another excellent crowd (swelled by a good Berwick contingent). Gotta sort that track out though it was similar to last week, with far too much dirt (grip) for this level of racing. It got better after heat 8 but to see riders in the early heats give up once they got to the first bend was quite frankly taking the P.. On the plus side, the witches are looking strong all the way down order - play offs here we come!!

Edited by Bezza

Some strange decisions tonight unless they have changed the rules. Heat 2 surely Barrett wasn't racing for 3 and half laps so shouldn't have got a point, Adam was still racing even though 3 quarters a lap ahead of third and nearly binned a few times. Ellis gos through the fence after finding too much grip the same as roh an did, but this time Ricky excluded for doing nothing although it should have been Adam. And doesn't anyone else see that the tapes in the middle go up much slower because they are so slack. It looks like the rider on the inside keeps making jump starts but most of the time they are not. And then when jump starts are clearly made, they are very rarely pulled back. As someone else has pointed out track far to grippy early on, it really made some riders look terrible, not a great advert for our track which has been great most of the season, hope it doesn't put the Berwick fans from bringing some great travelling support on their next visit.

• Like 3

Spoke to Nick the rerun cameraman after the meeting and he confirmed that Ricky Ashworth didn't touch Adam, and even Adam admitted when he was interviewed for his man of the meeting award that he was surprised to be in the rerun. The ref has to make a decision and got it wrong but they don't have all the camera angles like on a sky meeting. I sit in the home straight stand right in front of the ref and from my view it looked like Ricky left him no room, so until they put officials at both end of the circuits as well as the ref, mistakes are going to be made.

So why are there not another set of eyes on the other side of the track, it's not exactly hard is it? Speedway gets a lot of things wrong, surely that's an easy thing that could be done to help get decisions right. You are talking about riders losing money here for be excluded for nothing. I know if my wages at work were cut short by someone else's mistake, I would want something to be done about it.

Sadly an all to familiar story for Berwick on their travels this season,a story that Im sure will continue at Scunthorpe tonight.

Ashworths scoring must becomming a real concern now,I saw him in the 4s at Peterborough where he looked good,sadly his PL scores are not what they should be for a No1.He needs to rediscover the scoring we all know he is capable of,for himself and more importantly for the team.

But looking from the other side if the points limit is to be reduced if you can achieve a sub 8.0 point avg by next season you may well be more employable

But looking from the other side if the points limit is to be reduced if you can achieve a sub 8.0 point avg by next season you may well be more employable

Lots of ifs though,if theres a reduction in the points limit,and if Ashworth either wants or is wanted back at Berwick.

Best address the issues there is now.

So why are there not another set of eyes on the other side of the track, it's not exactly hard is it?...............

No it isn't. On the surface it's something that would be very easy to implement. However can you imagine someone jumping up at Conference and suggesting a change that would cost the promoters a collective £70,000 a season? It would make it a non starter.

In fairness the situation is particularly acute at Foxhall. The problem is the relative low position of the referee's box. It doesn't provide the referee with any perspective, particularly on the back straight / third bend. Several years ago I remember having a natter with Tony Steele over a similar incident, where again a Witches rider "got lucky". He made the point that from his position it was difficult to judge the relative line of riders, and could only use his experience in reaching his decision.

One would hope that as the redevelopment at Foxhall gathers pace, that the Referee's Box is relocated to a more elevated position.

Edited by Brujas Espanolas

Lots of ifs though,if theres a reduction in the points limit,and if Ashworth either wants or is wanted back at Berwick.

Best address the issues there is now.

The issue that is there now is a rider working his way back from a serious injury, that will take time.

By showing an understanding you increase the chances of the rider returning.

“Do I want to go back to Berwick, a club who sacked me while I was finding my feet after a serious injury”

“Do I want to go back to Berwick, a club who stood by me while I found my form again”.

But naw, go ahead and punt a guy who has been a great servant because he has a couple of dodgy meetings.

• Like 1