British Speedway Forum
orderly

Double Standards

I know that this first topic will not interest Elite league fans but I feel that the BSPA are showing double standards over the past few weeks.

This week we have seen Michael Lee have his promoters suspended because he was found in possession of a small amount of cannabis for personal use, agreed that Michael has a history of drug use and whilst I do not agree with the use of social drugs what people do in their private lives is up to them provided that they do not put any one else in danger or involve minors in the use then where’s the harm.

Yet a few weeks ago while watching footage on Sky Sports we could clearly see that a section of air fence was not secured correctly and in the ensuing incident as an out of control speedway bike went past the air fence that section lifted which allowed the dismounted rider to disappear under the air fence and collide with the Armco behind the air fence causing the rider to sustain some horrific injuries which has cut short his season and ended his world title defence and his earning potential, and the people responsible for this walk free.

All riders know that speedway is a very dangerous sport and accept the dangers involved but that does not excuse tracks from being liable for injuries sustained by riders because safety checks had not been made to ensure that all safety equipment fitted was working correctly.

I know that I will be shouted down for this post but there is a man that we all know and are proud of that is unable to earn a decent living to provide for his family...

• Like 3

Obviously these sort of instances are part and parcel of speedway, but if Holders injuries were worsed because the safety fence was not assembled correctly, then there is a very good cause for complaint. Not seen anything official on this?

Edited by superguest
  • Like 1

No one wants to see any rider get injured let alone the injuries suffered by Noddy. If you follow speedway you will see riders go under the air fence every week. As most speedway tracks are also greyhound tracks you can not have any perminent features and if you want to close speedway tracks by holding them responsible for every time a rider is injured due to ruts in the track, air fence lifting. What about sueing a rider who brings another rider off Claiming for damages to his bike. As it goes where there is blame there is a claim Speedway would close down with in days and riders would have no lively hood at all

Edited by badger1969
  • Like 1

I think that the way every track needs an air fence next year, or they dont compete, tells you the risk the sport runs through potential legal challenge..

In the case of a life threatening injury at a track with no air fence, the EHO/HSE would I am sure, upon investigation, question why some tracks have them and some dont...

Basically it could be seen that having an air fence increases protection of the competitors and the track is doing all it can to minimise the risk, and those without, are not doing all they can given the equipment exists...

I am sure there will also be a 'fitting standard' laid down too as part of the due diligence process regarding health and safety which will need to be shown to be followed, and would be surprised if not already in place for the tracks that have them..

A big risk for many clubs in these days of compensation culture If they dont get things right...

• Like 1

Michael Lee has been banned in the past. How many bans or warnings do you need ?

• Like 3

I know that this first topic will not interest Elite league fans but I feel that the BSPA are showing double standards over the past few weeks.

This week we have seen Michael Lee have his promoters suspended because he was found in possession of a small amount of cannabis for personal use, agreed that Michael has a history of drug use and whilst I do not agree with the use of social drugs what people do in their private lives is up to them provided that they do not put any one else in danger or involve minors in the use then where’s the harm.

Yet a few weeks ago while watching footage on Sky Sports we could clearly see that a section of air fence was not secured correctly and in the ensuing incident as an out of control speedway bike went past the air fence that section lifted which allowed the dismounted rider to disappear under the air fence and collide with the Armco behind the air fence causing the rider to sustain some horrific injuries which has cut short his season and ended his world title defence and his earning potential, and the people responsible for this walk free.

All riders know that speedway is a very dangerous sport and accept the dangers involved but that does not excuse tracks from being liable for injuries sustained by riders because safety checks had not been made to ensure that all safety equipment fitted was working correctly.

I know that I will be shouted down for this post but there is a man that we all know and are proud of that is unable to earn a decent living to provide for his family...

The police also found amphetamine

Brandon is both FIM & SCB licenced and had a full SCB inspection in May 2013. The air-fence was correctly installed - the referee would not have permitted the meeting to go ahead had there been any doubt.

Our best wishes go to Chris Holder, Ricky Ashworth, and all riders injured while racing speedway for our entertainment.

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Like 5

What a strange email. As someone has already mentioned, Lee has previous, and amphet was also found so not quite so simple an argument really.

And whilst i wont be shouting you down, i'm not sure that "we are all proud of" Holder (if thats who you're referring to). He is a professional rider in the sport i follow. Nothing more.

If something was suspected or even accused by any injured party or witness at the time of the accident, the hse would be all over the place. The fact that no one has probably says more than anything.

And as for being unable to earn a decent living to provide for his family - do me a favour

The Holder crash was a pure accident and it was only his bike hitting the air fence first at full speed and bursting the air fence that caused it to lift and allow him to slide under it. While they are fastened down, they will move or split and I doubt that this was incorrectly constructed, it was aa pure and simple accident.

• Like 2

Polyfoam seems to be the favoured choice now from a safety point of view.

Does the polyfoam have to be a permanent feature and what needs to be behind it?

Polyfoam seems to be the favoured choice now from a safety point of view.

Does the polyfoam have to be a permanent feature and what needs to be behind it?

..about £30k apparently!!

You will NEVER stop injuries. All you can do is try your best to limit them. Coventry were one of the first (the first?) to have an airfence to lead the way to some degree. Obviously that does mean that the Coventry air fence design is old now, issues are being found with it. Things do need to move on but it a bit unfair to have a go at Coventry about it. If a riders bike hits an airfence at speed the airfence will move or explode, there only so much that can be done.

Why not check out the air barriers used in Moto GP, far superior in design and effectiveness, higher speeds, heavier bikes, don't move or explode or allow you to slide into Armco.http://www.airfence.com/news_silverstone.html

Edited by Lord Skid

Can't help but think that these 2 things are entirely unrelated and would not constitute as 'double standards'. You have a valid point that both carry a very heavy weight with regards to regulation, but they are chalk and cheese. No double standards here at all.

• Like 1