British Speedway Forum
Mark

2014 Wild Cards - 3 World Champs ?

So what ? Well it means he qualified by right and didn't have a wild card. It's pretty obvious Ghosty

Could you tell me how many times Freddie qualified on his own and how many times he have gotten a wild card.

I think he has one qualification via GP-challenge and one top 8. The rest is wild cards. THAT is what matters.

i'm amazed that people are suggesting that Tomasz Gollob would not deserve a wild card if he chooses to ride in the SGP next season and needs one.

The guy has been amazing entertainment value in the SGP and, before that ,since his 1st Individual World Final appearance in 1993

I'm amazed that some people are suggesting that Gollob would deserve a wild card.

I agree that he have been one of the most entertaining riders through the years but those days are long gone. Tomek is no longer the GP-rider he once was.

You can't hand out wild card based on something that was 5-10-15-20 years ago. You have to look at this season and at next season.

He didn't look to interested last year and even less interested this year.

Its time to let go of the old generation and welcome the new generation with Emil, Tai, Darcy, Holder, MJJ, Dudek, Janowski...

Could you tell me how many times Freddie qualified on his own and how many times he have gotten a wild card.

I think he has one qualification via GP-challenge and one top 8. The rest is wild cards. THAT is what matters.

Haven't a clue. Will accept your figure Ghosty.

I, for one - and maybe the only one, feels that the SGP series will be diminshed when Mr G is no longer in it.

Even the way he's currently riding?

Niamh

Out of the three riders named in the first post, I think only Chris Holder will be in the GP's next season. I think that both Gollob and Hancock will retire from the International scene at the end of this season. Think Ward will scrape through in his own right, but if not he has to have a wild card. I think the wild cards should only be used for certain cases, such as Holders or any other top rider getting injured and missing most of the season and maybe if somebody misses out by just a couple of points.

WOULD be very surprised if Hancock quits and don't think anyone could dispute his right to a wild card ... twice a World Champion and an ever-preset in the series since its inception.

Gollob's body language suggests that he is not 100 per cent interested anymore which is also in sharp contrast to Greg.

Gollob's body language suggests that he is not 100 per cent interested anymore which is also in sharp contrast to Greg.

Agreed, he's lost his mojo and I do hope he "does a Crumpie" and announces he's retiring at the end of the season.

It really isn't nice seeing him the way he's currently riding.

Niamh

WOULD be very surprised if Hancock quits and don't think anyone could dispute his right to a wild card ... twice a World Champion and an ever-preset in the series since its inception.

Barry Briggs was a 4! time world champion but I would dispute his right to a wild card.

I'm amazed that some people are suggesting that Gollob would deserve a wild card.

I agree that he have been one of the most entertaining riders through the years but those days are long gone. Tomek is no longer the GP-rider he once was.

You can't hand out wild card based on something that was 5-10-15-20 years ago. You have to look at this season and at next season.

He didn't look to interested last year and even less interested this year.

Its time to let go of the old generation and welcome the new generation with Emil, Tai, Darcy, Holder, MJJ, Dudek, Janowski...

Agreed he has looked off the pace, lacking in confidence and disinterested in a few SGPs this season, but dumping Tomasz after 4 x low scoring SGPs is a bit rich. His fitness is under question and his choice of bikes and gate picks is frustrating, but it all adds to the enigma that is the 2010 World Champion.

Out of 8 x SGPs this year, Mr G has top scored in two and been in the Final of three. Currently in 9th place in the SGP standings with 68pts, 3pts behind Greg and 14pts behind Chris Holder, with Latvia, Slovenia, Stockholm & Torun to go, there is still every chance that Tomasz will finish in the top 8 and, if he didn't, the offer of a WC for 2014 would be automatic IMHO.

• Like 1

Not saying anything until the GP challenge is out of the way and we know who has qualified from that.............

RP

Agreed Ailurus Fulgens

My money, if I had any, would be on Iversen and Zagar to be in top 3 and qualify automatically too, but we'll see. Should be a fascinating meeting the Challenge.

Best Regards.

Edited to add: Typical Mr G in the European Championship tonight. 2 x ducks then 2 x wins including one over Emil.

On the evidence of his 3rd & 4th heats, Tomasz is well worth his place in the SGP this and next season. On the evidence of his first two rides he's not. Mercurial or just frustrating?

Edited to change 2 x wins to 3 x wins and on the evidence of his 3rd, 4th & 5th rides :-) Liked Mr G's kevlars tonight too.

Edited by macca56

Macca, nice try but i still disgaree with you.

Its a similar situation as with Leigh Adams who were in he GP top for well over a decade an a half but eventually finsihed outside top 8.

The discussion then was the same then as now. He is a classy rider who have been in the top for many years, he deserves a wild card.

As you know, that didn't happen. I think it will be the same witth Tomasz and Greg.

If they finish outside top 8 I don't think we'll see them in the Grand Prix anymore.

If they finish within top 8 I think Greg might do another year but not Tomasz.

Looking at where everybody stands in the points at the moment Greg and Tomasz are fighting over 8th and 9th.

The most likely scenario is that the top 9 places could remain the same at the end with just Chris Holder dropping out and Darcy leapfrogging in.

Above Greg/Tomasz - NKI and Zagar look to be doing everything they need to stay ahead.

But below them only Freddie and Kasprzak can really overtake them.

And even with Greg/Tomasz under performing they have been getting just enough points over the last few rounds to maintain their advantage.

So as I say it could easily end up with Greg and Tomasz in 8th/9th place in October; in either order.

But all this would change dramatically if, in the next four GPs, one rider out of the top 6 (not Darcy) surprises us by jumping out with a win.

And the thing is.... that could easily be Greg or Tomasz.

Then the talk of them needing widcards would be redundant.

What about a shilling on Mr G for a win in Torun?

Edited by Grand Central

Macca, nice try but i still disgaree with you.

Its a similar situation as with Leigh Adams who were in he GP top for well over a decade an a half but eventually finsihed outside top 8.

The discussion then was the same then as now. He is a classy rider who have been in the top for many years, he deserves a wild card.

As you know, that didn't happen. I think it will be the same witth Tomasz and Greg.

If they finish outside top 8 I don't think we'll see them in the Grand Prix anymore.

If they finish within top 8 I think Greg might do another year but not Tomasz.

i understand your views but Leigh Adams never finished outside the top 8 from 1999 to 2008 when he retired from gp racing altogether after finishing 6th i believe in 2008

CAN'T see Hancock retiring this year. He's openly expressed a desire to feature in an American SGP and right now, he's still very much capable of mixing it up and pushing for a title. Greg is in a good place in his life and keeps himself in great shape. He has a successful export business and family life with Speedway remaining something he very much enjoys. Of course though, he'll already have a rought idea of when he'll retire and I'm pretty sure he'll go when he feels he's no longer capable of being number 1.

Edited by SGP