British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Sgp/bsi And Sec/one Sport It Is War Now

I think it should be noted that Sportowefakty are media partners to the SEC/ONESPORT and therefore we are not getting balanced articles from that source(ie Tai Woffinden withdrawing from Rzeszow on Sunday)

Similarly output from FIM/FIM EUROPE/BSI etc and their cohorts are equally unbalanced. The solution is simple and do what i do with any story in the media to do with anything and that is seek out partizan media sources and read both sides of an argument or belief etc. even if the view you disagree with is distasteful to you, then use your own noggin to try and discern what is what. And nooooo don't ask me what is what lol.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Similarly output from FIM/FIM EUROPE/BSI etc and their cohorts are equally unbalanced. The solution is simple and do what i do with any story in the media to do with anything and that is seek out partizan media sources and read both sides of an argument or belief etc. even if the view you disagree with is distasteful to you, then use your own noggin to try and discern what is what. And nooooo don't ask me what is what lol.

The other is FIM/BSI and the other "FIM EUROPE" aka former UEM/SEC-Onesport. Thats the difference, two sides, two stories, one big umbrella at the top.

The other is FIM/BSI and the other "FIM EUROPE" aka former UEM/SEC-Onesport. Thats the difference, two sides, two stories, one big umbrella at the top.

Cheers a timely reminder to jog and unfog one's memory.

It would seem the SEC was a fair success tv wise.On average 1,000,000 people saw each final.20% of the viewers from Poland.Guess One Sport would be happy hitting that figure.Pure guess,but i would imagine Eurosport fairly happy as well.

From Speedweek

1,2 Millionen sahen Speedway-EM-Finale

Die Speedway-EM wurde in diesem Jahr erstmals von der polnischen Agentur One Sport Media vermarktet und alle vier Rennen von TV-Sender Eurosport in über 70 Ländern live übertragen. Durchschnittlich sahen beinahe eine Million Menschen die Rennen (inklusive Wiederholungen), ein Fünftel davon kam aus Polen. Das Finale in Rzeszow am vergangenen Sonntag schauten 1,2 Millionen Fans!

It would seem the SEC was a fair success tv wise.On average 1,000,000 people saw each final.20% of the viewers from Poland.Guess One Sport would be happy hitting that figure.Pure guess,but i would imagine Eurosport fairly happy as well.

From Speedweek

1,2 Millionen sahen Speedway-EM-Finale

Further information from the official site

"SEC watched by 29 million views!

Eurosport, which has been the exclusive broadcaster of the SEC, transmitted the series to over 70 countries in Europe and Asia Pacific. Average ratings of the four final rounds, held in Gdansk, Togliatti, Gorican, and Rzeszow, amounted to 210.000 viewers in Poland, and nearly a million in the rest of Europe.

International transmission range covered 16.7 million, and 29 million including repeats.

The most interesting was the last round of the battle for the European title, which took place in Rzeszow on 29th September. In Poland the transmission was watched by 273.000 viewers, and 1.2 million viewers globally. The potential audience for the competition that was held in the heart of the Podkarpacia region was 7.5 million viewers."

Bearing in mind the Eurosport figures for the SGP were, if i remember rightly, around the 5-6 million mark* then i would have expected the SEC to have gained a larger number of viewers than they did. However it's still great for the sport to have made an impact and we got to see live in HD all the meetings so no complaints from me.

I can't get the exact numbers off hand as sadly and very disappointingly the 'international' section of the forum now only goes back a paltry 3 pages!!! That's a great shame indeed as it is without a doubt the most informative section, it is/WAS full of a swathe of information that one could repeatedly refer to.

THINK we need to take some of these figures, whether for SGP or SEC, with a generous pinch of salt. Does anyone seriously believe at one time over 16 million people let alone 29 million were watching a speedway meeting?

MANY, many moons ago I remember Barry Briggs getting involved in a bid to have a Russian circus come out of the Soviet Union via the 'back door' and perform across Europe and for the events to be televised. Typical Briggo! The TV company involved (cannot remember their name) was at that time involved with F1, which is how Briggo came to meet Bernie Eccelstone at his office, which was then in Surbiton, where Speedway Star is now. Most of this is in Briggo's book.

But the point is, while my memory is a little vague, the TV company concerned had these huge viewing figures for F1 across the world, which is the basis on which Bernie built the F1 brand. They were just irrational. Something like 90 million people in Nigeria watching F1. Of course they weren't but the combined numbers were mouth-watering and obviously worked.

Bernie was never bothered at how many people actually attended GPs. Think he would, perhaps still does, prefer to have nobody there at all. The TV audiences, perceived or real, was and is all that matters for the sponsors who throw such huge sums of money at the sport.

THINK we need to take some of these figures, whether for SGP or SEC, with a generous pinch of salt. Does anyone seriously believe at one time over 16 million people let alone 29 million were watching a speedway meeting?

MANY, many moons ago I remember Barry Briggs getting involved in a bid to have a Russian circus come out of the Soviet Union via the 'back door' and perform across Europe and for the events to be televised. Typical Briggo! The TV company involved (cannot remember their name) was at that time involved with F1, which is how Briggo came to meet Bernie Eccelstone at his office, which was then in Surbiton, where Speedway Star is now. Most of this is in Briggo's book.

But the point is, while my memory is a little vague, the TV company concerned had these huge viewing figures for F1 across the world, which is the basis on which Bernie built the F1 brand. They were just irrational. Something like 90 million people in Nigeria watching F1. Of course they weren't but the combined numbers were mouth-watering and obviously worked.

Bernie was never bothered at how many people actually attended GPs. Think he would, perhaps still does, prefer to have nobody there at all. The TV audiences, perceived or real, was and is all that matters for the sponsors who throw such huge sums of money at the sport.

No doubt if these were the SGP figures, You would be waxing lyrical.

Just accept that the BSI are history and their ratings are lower than the standard of your integrity as a journalist.

The figures for SEC and SGP are simply not comparable when it comes to Eurosport for the basic and simple fact that SGP is only carried on BRITISH Eurosport since in other nations other broadcasters have the rights, whereas I believe SEC is carried on all versions of Eurosport. Do bear in mind that there are many versions of Eurosport internationally.

I don't know if it's still the case but the Romanian/Hungarian service has shown live Premier League football.

The figures quoted for SEC are almost certainly potential viewers, not actual. It's a pretty standard trick in broadcasting.

One Sport aren't helping their cause by these ridiculous claims. There is another point. How many of those who have watched would bother again?

This all seems like a straightforward attempt by One Sport and the PZM to eventually displace BSI and take over SGP. If they did achieve this I would suggest that their interest in the SEC would soon disappear. Sadly Eurosport are being used as pawns in this power struggle.

I certainly don't, and was certainly saying so when a certain journalist was trumpeting the 'global' coverage of the SGP not so long ago. LOL

THIS has nothing to do with BSI. They cannot ban riders from anything let alone the SEC. It is essentially an internal conflict between the FIM and FIM Europe.

Are we seriously expected to believe that BSI who have an exclusive multi-decade contract for the SGP, and who pay 1.5 million quid a year for the privilege, have no influence at all in this matter?

No idea why BSI has a problem with SEC. Can anyone explain it to me?

Because they're potentially competing for sponsors, GP hosts and television contracts. The SEC is potentially a duplicate World Championship, despite the name, and whilst I don't hold any particular candle for BSI, having competing competitions is ultimately not good for the sport.

Similarly output from FIM/FIM EUROPE/BSI etc and their cohorts are equally unbalanced. The solution is simple and do what i do with any story in the media to do with anything and that is seek out partizan media sources and read both sides of an argument or belief etc.

Best thing we can do is completely ignore anything in the media and make up our own minds.

The Star has also been guilty of glossing over certain episodes in the SGP, and I can't ever remembering it asking meaningful questions about the governance of the sport. It's left to a handful of fan sites to ask the difficult questions about why certain deals are made, where the money is going (not that speedway generates megabucks), and whether all this is good for the sport.

And yes it is the business of those who follow the sport if they want it to be.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

"SEC watched by 29 million views!.........International transmission range covered 16.7 million, and 29 million including repeats.

? who said that 16 or 29 million were watching at one time? I think it's clear even from the translated* (*just realised i'm quoting the English version) article that those are the TOTAL figures over all rounds, especially seeing it refers to 'REPEATS'.

Edited by manchesterpaul
  • Like 1

"SEC watched by 29 million views!

Eurosport, which has been the exclusive broadcaster of the SEC, transmitted the series to over 70 countries in Europe and Asia Pacific. Average ratings of the four final rounds, held in Gdansk, Togliatti, Gorican, and Rzeszow, amounted to 210.000 viewers in Poland, and nearly a million in the rest of Europe.

International transmission range covered 16.7 million, and 29 million including repeats.

The most interesting was the last round of the battle for the European title, which took place in Rzeszow on 29th September. In Poland the transmission was watched by 273.000 viewers, and 1.2 million viewers globally. The potential audience for the competition that was held in the heart of the Podkarpacia region was 7.5 million viewers."

Bearing in mind the Eurosport figures for the SGP were, if i remember rightly, around the 5-6 million mark* then i would have expected the SEC to have gained a larger number of viewers than they did. However it's still great for the sport to have made an impact and we got to see live in HD all the meetings so no complaints from me.

I can't get the exact numbers off hand as sadly and very disappointingly the 'international' section of the forum now only goes back a paltry 3 pages!!! That's a great shame indeed as it is without a doubt the most informative section, it is/WAS full of a swathe of information that one could repeatedly refer to.

On the top of the international section index page there is 147 pages listed.

On the top of the international section index page there is 147 pages listed.

Where? I'm well puzzled now lol. All i see is the same as at the bottom, options to click on page 1, 2, 3 next. If one goes to page 3 the next option disappears. I know from a previous thread and it's responses i'm not the only one to only see three pages available.

EDIT. Just seen though that there is a drop down menu available (under 'custom') that lets you see older threads.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Where? I'm well puzzled now lol. All i see is the same as at the bottom, options to click on page 1, 2, 3 next. If one goes to page 3 the next option disappears. I know from a previous thread and it's responses i'm not the only one to only see three pages available.

EDIT. Just seen though that there is a drop down menu available (under 'custom') that lets you see older threads.

On the international section page that shows the different threads can you not see at the top pages 1,2,3 of 147 ??

I have watched the European version and thought they did a good job overall. Really can not see why they can't get along and sort it out so both are happy. It's good for us fans as more speedway to watch. Would be great to have a round at Poole in 2014 :-)

On the international section page that shows the different threads can you not see at the top pages 1,2,3 of 147 ??

Honestly R&R absolutely not, just the 1,2,3. However, like i say there is an option named 'custom' and upon clicking that it allows you to select 'all' from a drop down menu. It's on the blue bar under the 1,2,3 "

Page 1 of 3

NEXT

Recently Updated

Start Date

Most Replies

Most Viewed

Custom

So no biggie all sorted :)

Edited by manchesterpaul