British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Coventry Storm V Kings Lynn - Friday 16th August

COVENTRY Storm are in must-win territory when they face top-four rivals King’s Lynn, complete with 15-year-old sensation Robert Lambert, at Brandon on Friday (7.30pm).

The Storm have just two National League fixtures remaining and the Young Stars, the Isle of Wight and Buxton are gaining ground with matches in hand.

A maximum-points win over King’s Lynn would put the Storm six ahead of the Norfolk side, and still in with a very strong chance of reaching the play-offs – but defeat would leave them relying on several other results.

Lambert’s arrival in the Young Stars team has been one of the stories of the season, and the teenager has shot from reserve – where he recently scored paid-20 at the Isle of Wight – to No.1 in the visitors’ line-up, with his future clearly destined to be at a much higher level.

King’s Lynn are captained by the impressive Lewis Kerr, who has performed well at Premier League level for Newcastle this season, and Lewis Rose has also enjoyed some fine results in his first full campaign.

The Storm won 48-42 at the Norfolk Arena back in April, but both sides have made several changes since then and a close contest is expected on Friday.

Just as at Kent on Monday, where they went down to a damaging defeat, the Storm will use rider-replacement for injury victim Robert Branford, and a collection is planned for the unlucky British Under-21 Champion who faces a hefty repair bill after his crash at Edinburgh last week.

Co-boss Blayne Scroggins said: “This is a massive meeting for us, it’s a real six-pointer with both teams fighting for a play-off spot and we need maximum points.

“Monday was a big disappointment, it was a surprise to lose by 15 points to a team with only one win all season, but we have to move on from that now.

“We’ll get the boys together before the meeting and have a good chat about what needs to be done, and they will all be up for the task. It’s not going to be easy, especially with Robert Lambert having been such a sensation in his first season, but it should be a great match.”

Supporters are reminded that adult admission for the meeting is just £10, with all children FREE.

COVENTRY: Joe Jacobs, Luke Crang, Robert Branford R/R, Oliver Greenwood, James Sarjeant, James Shanes, Martin Knuckey.

KING’S LYNN: Robert Lambert, Lewis Rose, Jake Knight, Darren Mallett, Lewis Kerr, Shane Waldron, Shane Hazelden.

As an unbiased outsider i would think Kings Lynn will edge this one ,,to much strenght in depth compared to the Storm ,,,,with Branford out Coventry will need plenty of points from R\R.... Joe Jacobs has come on well this season but i dont see him holding Lambert..Sarjeant,,Kerr could go either way ,,,Kerr is not always as good as he should be away and Sarjeant has been going through the tapes a lot lately could be the added pressure of trying to gate in the premier league... Rose is a spoiler too,, Knight can get points..While Mallet does not seem as strong as recent seasons For the Storm Greenwood is a forcefull rider ,,but i dont see many points below Crang who,s a bit in and out ,but improving .....Hazelden. for Lynn is the pick of the reserves..Having said all that watch them all go out and prove me wrong...

Edited by waco

COVENTRY Storm are in must-win territory......

Unfortunately they didn't. Good match though and it doesn't hurt half so much as when the Bees lose. :wink:

It's nice to just sit back and enjoy the racing. I can see now why everyone is raving about Robert Lambert although Joe did manage to beat him in heat 1. Hope Luke is okay as he had a couple of nasty falls. Well done to Kings Lynn.

[/size]

Unfortunately they didn't. Good match though and it doesn't hurt half so much as when the Bees lose. :wink:

It's nice to just sit back and enjoy the racing. I can see now why everyone is raving about Robert Lambert although Joe did manage to beat him in heat 1. Hope Luke is okay as he had a couple of nasty falls. Well done to Kings Lynn.

They certainly gave it a good go though and a fight is all you want to see. Joe's win in ht 1 was probably the boost they all needed. Having to put out a T/R against Lambert in ht 12 was unlucky. If you ask me Knuckey is struggling with confidence, lets hope he gets it back and Shanes didn't seem his usual self. best of luck to Like Crang for a speedway recovery.

Edited by TMW

Well done young stars :)

• Like 1

They certainly gave it a good go though and a fight is all you want to see. Joe's win in ht 1 was probably the boost they all needed. Having to put out a T/R against Lambert in ht 12 was unlucky. If you ask me Knuckey is struggling with confidence, lets hope he gets it back and Shanes didn't seem his usual self. best of luck to Like Crang for a speedway recovery.

Yes, it was a shame the T.R. was against Kings Lynn's top rider Lambert as barring a miracle Coventry weren't going to get much out of it. I don't know quite what to make of Knuckey as he seems to struggle with the Brandon track and frequently locks up. I greatly admire James Shanes but he is a little out of his depth in the N.L. at the moment.

I don't want to be rude so this question is asked with respect but does anyone know why Ryan Terry Daley keeps shaking his head? I first noticed this at Leicester a few weeks ago and then again last night. Is there something wrong with him or is it just a nervous habit? :unsure:

Yes, it was a shame the T.R. was against Kings Lynn's top rider Lambert as barring a miracle Coventry weren't going to get much out of it. I don't know quite what to make of Knuckey as he seems to struggle with the Brandon track and frequently locks up. I greatly admire James Shanes but he is a little out of his depth in the N.L. at the moment.

I don't want to be rude so this question is asked with respect but does anyone know why Ryan Terry Daley keeps shaking his head? I first noticed this at Leicester a few weeks ago and then again last night. Is there something wrong with him or is it just a nervous habit? :unsure:

He only does it when riding I think it's like a twitch. I wonder if his helmet causes it. He doesn't't do it when he doesn't't have his helmet on :)

Thanks for the answer. It just seems a strange thing to do because it must make his vision blurred if he keeps shaking his head. I thought at first it just happened prior to a race but I've seen him do it at the tapes and during a race as well.

Thanks for the answer. It just seems a strange thing to do because it must make his vision blurred if he keeps shaking his head. I thought at first it just happened prior to a race but I've seen him do it at the tapes and during a race as well.

It's called Tourrettes Gemini. He does it all the time. Was watching him in the pits at Kings Lynn and spoke to him over the railings and he physically struggles to keep still. I think it's great that he's giving speedway a go and speedway is allowing him too also. People misunderstand Tourrettes as just someone swearing

Thanks for clearing that up screamer. Must admit I always thought Tourrettes was just swearing so I've learned something new. Bless him. I hope he does well with his speedway career.

I think he only does it when he's either nervous or excited, when he's concentrating and focused it goes away