British Speedway Forum
rob tatum

Sky. A Wasted Opportunity

Do you know ANYTHING about Speedway? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Genuine question. :)

I'd consider it a legitimate term in place of "scrubbing off speed" or "using engine braking to slow down"

I'd consider it a legitimate term in place of "scrubbing off speed" or "using engine braking to slow down"

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 1

So is this the end of EL speedway as I have been told that it is only the income from SKY which keeps it going? One big league here we come?

• Like 1

Speedway has for so long had a short-term mentality, spend the money as quick as… and not bother about the future.

The first few years of SKY saw the kids for a quid thing, and crowds looked healthy. But, even that couldn’t retain an interest, a league lacking enough teams to offer variety. Fans weren’t swayed to come more often.

There is only so much of this team versus that one we can put up with, and choice of small track against sides from big tracks was often a miss-match. Whoever chose the fixtures needs sectioning.

Speedway, and it is 14 years’ worth of money that will never come again, will always be its worst enemy… the men we allow to run the sport, there here today gone tomorrow, anorak-wearing, track offices confined in porta-cabins... the sort building sites and scrap yards use…

I think after the investment SKY brought, the sport should have progressed from its position of hanging by a thread.

Speedway shouldn’t demand sympathy.

Imagine helping out a friend or a family member financially, trying to give them a nudge up the ladder after years of struggle. Despite this, you found them wearing the same clothes they were in years before, all your benevolence... you still found no food in the cupboard. The money you were giving was obviously going elsewhere.

Speedway is that person, with no long-term strategy in place to help itself, instead just frustrate the people that stand by its side.

The hoped for change just didn’t materialise, the chance-of-a-lifetime not taken.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 7

Blimey moxey that was a quality post I agree with all that. Well done sir just a shame them in charge seem to be happy p****** in the wind

• Like 2

Another question: after SKY's initial investment (was it £5 million?) how come the sport's brains banished the tac-sub rule four years after the investment and brought in the Golden Double, to help save costs. Tracks were given a small fortune but were still struggling with costs.

Edited by moxey63

Speedway has for so long had a short-term mentality, spend the money as quick as… and not bother about the future.

The first few years of SKY saw the kids for a quid thing, and crowds looked healthy. But, even that couldn’t retain an interest, a league lacking enough teams to offer variety. Fans weren’t swayed to come more often.

There is only so much of this team versus that one we can put up with, and choice of small track against sides from big tracks was often a miss-match. Whoever chose the fixtures needs sectioning.

Speedway, and it is 14 years’ worth of money that will never come again, will always be its worst enemy… the men we allow to run the sport, there here today gone tomorrow, anorak-wearing, track offices confined in porta-cabins... the sort building sites and scrap yards use…

I think after the investment SKY brought, the sport should have progressed from its position of hanging by a thread.

Speedway shouldn’t demand sympathy.

Imagine helping out a friend or a family member financially, trying to give them a nudge up the ladder after years of struggle. Despite this, you found them wearing the same clothes they were in years before, all your benevolence... you still found no food in the cupboard. The money you were giving was obviously going elsewhere.

Speedway is that person, with no long-term strategy in place to help itself, instead just frustrate the people that stand by its side.

The hoped for change just didn’t materialise, the chance-of-a-lifetime not taken.

Great post Moxey spot on with everything,i go to Swindon everyweek and since 1969 has given me so much enjoyment.But when i look around what you have said is so true it is now looking like a tired old Abbey stadium.It has not changed one bit a lick of paint here and there no investment whatsoever great track still though and we won't mention the legendary bogs.!!

Said many time before the problem with empty stadiums was showing matches only on Monday nights meaning that many of the matches were run on off nights . Speedway tv matches should have been any night and on a teams race night rather than Mondays only. To me that was a massive mistake .

Said many time before the problem with empty stadiums was showing matches only on Monday nights meaning that many of the matches were run on off nights . Speedway tv matches should have been any night and on a teams race night rather than Mondays only. To me that was a massive mistake .

I'm sorry but I don't agree. Speedway for me... no matter at Hyde Road on a Saturday, or the dump on Friday, Mondays or a Sunday, I would still be there.

I think the actual problem was, after the initial novelty of it being live on SKY and people wanted to be there (possibly in case they were on TV and to see what SKY was all about), the thrill of live speedway soon wore off and fans decided to pick and choose the matches they coughed up for.

Often, I suspect some fans chose not to attend SKY matches for the simple reason that it was dragged out for too long, with adverts every few races.

The problem was that matches were live. Another problem, and perhaps it is just simply coincidence, but the Play-Offs took away the importance of the regular league match, making it just a qualifying peg for the end-of-season Play-Offs.

For example, when teams used to meet before the Play-Off system, every fixture was vital and teams needed points to push them to whatever position in the table they could attain.

Unless you are chasing a P/O spot, the final standings are of no importance.

I also think a league of just eight sides isn't enough to warrant a 30 week campaign.

It doesn't make sense, filling up every week of the season, crowds are then diluted, when a once-home and away meeting would give punters just the one opportunity to see those seven men against the other seven.

I used to be more eager to attend matches knowing, say, Anders Michanek with Reading was the only chance I'd see him. The problem is nowadays, there are less teams to pad out the same weeks we had to fill in a season when the league was twice the size.

For example, Cardiff gets about 45,000 every year. Give that stadium three GPs each summer... and we'd probably get 55,000 in total. People wouldn't be as eager to attend three as they are just the once... less is more, so they say.

Perhaps we all began taking SKY's coverage for granted, even the promoters, and a lot of fans on here with their critical ways of the organisation, Kelv and Nige an' all.

Perhaps it is time now for a proposal to be made to SKY regarding showing a match, which isn't a live one, every now and again.

The 14-year marriage hasn't done either speedway or SKY any favours.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Moxey 63, makes a good point, why have all live meetings. An hours programme, say 45-50 minutes with ads. It would be possible to show all races, plus interviews, without delays between races, riders taking 5min plus to come to tapes, time it takes to rebuild the airfence etc.

Okay we will know the result already, but we will not have seen the racing. They could also do an omnibus edition showing extracts from various meetings, interviews and analysis, so we have something to totally disagree with on this forum.

I am quite looking forward to it!!! ;)

• Like 3

Moxey 63, makes a good point, why have all live meetings. An hours programme, say 45-50 minutes with ads. It would be possible to show all races, plus interviews, without delays between races, riders taking 5min plus to come to tapes, time it takes to rebuild the airfence etc.

Okay we will know the result already, but we will not have seen the racing. They could also do an omnibus edition showing extracts from various meetings, interviews and analysis, so we have something to totally disagree with on this forum.

I am quite looking forward to it!!! ;)

I would prefer this to live racing when central covered it they still managed most times to still show 13 heats.Even now unless it is a meeting that i really want to see i often watch later anyway.

I'm sorry but I don't agree. Speedway for me... no matter at Hyde Road on a Saturday, or the dump on Friday, Mondays or a Sunday, I would still be there.

For example, when teams used to meet before the Play-Off system, every fixture was vital and teams needed points to push them to whatever position in the table they could attain.

Unless you are chasing a P/O spot, the final standings are of no importance.

Pretty stupid logic on both points ...first because you would go any day does not mean that everyone else would Also it is a fact that more people go to a regular race night rather than a off night that is just common sense . As for you second point why was it important to finish as high before the play offs than it is now ? 6th was still 6th then as 6th is still 6th today ..did you get into Europe in the old days for being 6th or have missed something ? the system now means that Lakeside and ,Poole's seasons are still alive unlike the old days where they would only have only pride to ride for .
  • Like 1

Pretty stupid logic on both points ...first because you would go any day does not mean that everyone else would Also it is a fact that more people go to a regular race night rather than a off night that is just common sense . As for you second point why was it important to finish as high before the play offs than it is now ? 6th was still 6th then as 6th is still 6th today ..did you get into Europe in the old days for being 6th or have missed something ? the system now means that Lakeside and ,Poole's seasons are still alive unlike the old days where they would only have only pride to ride for .

So, you are saying every match in the league qualifying series is meaningful, when teams are purposely throwing points all over the place in order to strengthen up mid-term and mount a serious Play-Off challenge?

I feel SKY will be interested in screening the Play-Offs only - once they have ditched the Elite League coverage, the round-robin league programme where the terraces are bare. The Play-Offs mean something, at least, as the crowds seem to appear. But big crowds in the P/Os are at the cost of what comes before.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

So, you are saying every match in the league qualifying series is meaningful, when teams are purposely throwing points all over the place in order to strengthen up mid-term and mount a serious Play-Off challenge?

I feel SKY will be interested in screening the Play-Offs only - once they have ditched the Elite League coverage, the round-robin league programme where the terraces are bare. The Play-Offs mean something, at least, as the crowds seem to appear. But big crowds in the P/Os are at the cost of what comes before.

Never said that at all ...you said that teams try harder in the old days at the end of the season because there was no play offs and I I ask you why that was ..as far as I can see 6th was 6th then and 6th was 6th now and riders still rode for points money ..so just explain why it was so important as you said about where your team came before the play offs ? By the way teams dropping points to strengthen up it's nothing new it's happen all the time in the good old days as well .

Edited by orion