British Speedway Forum
rob tatum

Sky. A Wasted Opportunity

So its looks as if sky will be waving goodbye to planet speedway. What the hell happened to the money ? And does anyone else think that a wonderful opportunity of dragging our tarnished sport into a new world has alas gone. What a complete fiasco.

Sky can show speedway on TV everyday of the week, but it wont stop the decline of people actually going to watch. It is another victim of the digital age, youngsters would rather buy a computer game than go to speedway. Other outdoor sports are suffering the same fate...

• Like 4

Talking to Sky people at Poole recently I was told playing to empty stadiums drove them mad!

• Like 1

So its looks as if sky will be waving goodbye to planet speedway. What the hell happened to the money ?

I think costs rose to meet the income.

And does anyone else think that a wonderful opportunity of dragging our tarnished sport into a new world has alas gone.

Agreed. Speedway did nothing to try and capitalise on the exposure. Same now that the GPs are on Eurosport with arguably an even wider audience.

What a complete fiasco.

Can't argue with that.

Edited by MattK

EL promoters gave in to the increased demands of the top riders and raised the bar for all riders to ask for more. What was meant to be a windfall to help promotions, eventually went into the pockets of riders.

• Like 1

Talking to Sky people at Poole recently I was told playing to empty stadiums drove them mad!

The promoters messed up 14 years ago when Sky started showing speedway. Sky meetings should have been £5 entry to pack the place out so it looked good on Sky. Too late now.

Kick up the backside Speedway needs perhaps?

Sometimes hard times makes us work harder for the right reasons.

Promote???... Groupon.... etc

Edited by Deano

Kick up the backside Speedway needs perhaps?

Sometimes hard times makes us work harder for the right reasons.

Promote???... Groupon.... etc

The problem with Groupon is two-fold. Firstly you have to discount your product by up to 50% and then give half of the income generated to Groupon, meaning you are effectively only receiving 25% of your usual price. Secondly, does Groupon attract new customers or simply allow existing customers to gain entry at a discounted price?

The problem with Groupon is two-fold. Firstly you have to discount your product by up to 50% and then give half of the income generated to Groupon, meaning you are effectively only receiving 25% of your usual price. Secondly, does Groupon attract new customers or simply allow existing customers to gain entry at a discounted price?

Hi Matt, I love it when you quote my posts..... I have to think before I answer... lol.

I don't claim to know the whole concept of sales promotion, but why would a company use an outlet like Groupon anyway if it weren't cost effective in some way or another.

I can only speak for Birmingham, but since the offers have been around, crowds have increased. The promotion have been pleased with the response.

Yes, the profit margin drops and the break even crowd figure increases.... but there must be some gain to someone somewhere or, the Groupon's of this world wouldn't exist.

Birmingham Speedway appears to be a discount speedway club, but it has to make money at the same time...... that's the clever bit.

Did SKY not bring this to the BSPAs attention?

I doubt speedway will ever find anyone as loyal to the sport as SKY.

Speedway had a golden opportunity to showcase the sport but failed miserably not just with crowds but with surfaces and fixtures that were embarrasing to the sport.

Next year we will see what masterplan these idiots come up with to compensate for the loss of cash, the EL and probably the loss of a few teams as a result.

I doubt there is one sport anywhere in the world that has made as much a mess of so much TV coverage and promotion.

Chimps could run the show better :)

• Like 3

What I don't understand is why have Sky not gone to the best track in the Elite League in Peterborough more often?

Speedway needs to be portrayed in a positive light, Tracks like Wolves don't excite people never mind Eastbourne and Belle Vue.

Speedway isn't exciting when the riders are braking and not building up speed.

• Like 3

Its known that SKY do not like empty stadiums. I recall a few years ago when I had a season ticket for Harlequins RL, it was SKY that insisted that everyone was housed in the stand opposite the camera so it at least made the stadium look a bit fuller

Not sure I agree with the previous point about the likes of Wolves/Belle Vue/Eastbourne. Speedway is more than just open throttle you know

Not sure I agree with the previous point about the likes of Wolves/Belle Vue/Eastbourne. Speedway is more than just open throttle you know

I guess it depends what you mean by that...Yes, there is a technical aspect to the smaller tracks but, IMHO, the sport is at it's most exciting when the riders are flat out and picking lines to maintain speed rather than scrub it.

What I don't understand is why have Sky not gone to the best track in the Elite League in Peterborough more often?

Speedway needs to be portrayed in a positive light, Tracks like Wolves don't excite people never mind Eastbourne and Belle Vue.

Speedway isn't exciting when the riders are braking and not building up speed.

Do you know ANYTHING about Speedway? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Genuine question. :)

• Like 3