British Speedway Forum
Chadster

'bumper Crowds'

I think there's a time in your speedway-watching when you notice what's around you on the terraces... and think, gee, am I one of those?

It dawned on me one night, as soon as a race was over each ones head would fall, pen in hand, as they rushed to fill in the score of the heat... even though, if they had suddenly gone blank, the announcer would run it by them again. It is a wonder that every speedway fan has a hump on their back, such is the time they spend crouched at a meeting over their programme.

I then began to notice that everyone at speedway stands in the same place... not just that week, that season... but until they suddenly vanish and (1) have departed (2) have suddenly realised Wulfsport jackets have brought shame on the family and won't leave the house, or (3) they shifted to another vantage point, hurt that a kid from the week before had mentioned about that guy near them smelling of hot meat and potatoe pie!

I chuckle now, to even think I couldn't leave a speedway stadium until I had written down the time of the last race!

Some might have DIED!!! :shock: :shock: :shock::blink:

I do wish you would stop this Moxey63 - you keep reminding me of my own mortality. :shock:

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

A bloke who used to stand near us at Belle Vue had every badge going, yearbars etc. Thing is he had one of those 1976 bubble coats, blue with two stripes on each sleeve. Must have hurt his back, all that metal. Anyway, one week, his usual space was empty and and it was announced he had been struck by lightning!

It's the way I tell em...

I have got signed Greg Hancock Oxford poster on my wall....hundreds of Speedway photos i have taken and hundreds of programmes i will never look at. :blink:

• Like 1

Another problem for speedway though is the demograph of those who support it, very few (none) ABC1s to put in front of blue chip advertisers making it hard to justify a prime viewing slot

I wonder if the demograph of Sky subscribers matches the apparently desirable ABC1's?

I have got signed Greg Hancock Oxford poster on my wall....hundreds of Speedway photos i have taken and hundreds of programmes i will never look at. :blink:

Things that mean a lot to you, why should you get rid of them? I did one of those women sort of things when they suffer a relationship breakdown... I decluttered and refreshed my soul.

• Like 1

Reading this makes me glad I've never been one for programmes. I own 2, both that I had some input in. See no point in keeping a programme from 1999 and after about 3 or 4 years of filling in a programme I realised that I could remember the result of 15 heats for 2 hours without writing it down. I do own some terrible clothing though, sadly :( Anyone want a Morten Risager cap? Im not giving away my Stan Burza calendar though!

I wonder if the demograph of Sky subscribers matches the apparently desirable ABC1's?

Morning and afternoon TV is watched by mostly C2DE demographic and ads are tailored accordingly (Ambulance chasing lawyers/DFS Sale type ads)

Prime time evening viewing starts to attract the ABC1 type and ad space can be tailored to these and attract a good rate.

Whether you like it or not there are few ABC1s likely to watch speedway and coupled with non spectacular viewing numbers doesn't make it the "must have" slot for advertisers

moxey63......................Now… who’s next to reveal their guilty secret?

Every time I see Greg Hancock on T.V. he reminds me more and more of Norman Wisdom. Don't know if that counts but I do find it amusing. Probably it's just me that can see the likeness and I need to put my glasses on.

• Like 5

According to a marketing blog I've just googled ...

Social Grades Explained:

A upper middle class higher managerial, administrative or professional

B middle class intermediate managerial, administrative or professional

C1 lower middle class supervisory or clerical, junior managerial, administrative or professional

C2 skilled working class skilled manual workers

D working class semi and unskilled manual workers

E those at lowest level of subsistence state pensioners or widows (no other earner), casual or lowest grade workers

Edited by arthur cross

I keep things speedway related now that I can check facts on, if ever I need, and so I suppose I am still a sad human.

You wouldn't see me part with the Peter Oakes' yearbooks... and often I have the need to whip one out to prove someone wrong or, mostly nowadays, right (as age gets to me and plays havoc with the memory).

Wrong.... You are proof that speedway fans do want to pick a fight with other speedway fans. You, sir, are a right grouch and will not rest until you feel you are proved right. Like last night's match, you are proving one hell of a bore I can do without, Hopefully you can find some female company sooner rather than later, taking away some of your frustration in the process of anything what you say about speedway is always right and more important than, well, life itself.

Well it's a dead sport, it deserves to be wiped off the face of the planet... Some day we will be all as cool as you and have our rocking chair in the attic ......

• Like 1

According to a marketing blog I've just googled ...

Social Grades Explained:

A upper middle class higher managerial, administrative or professional

B middle class intermediate managerial, administrative or professional

C1 lower middle class supervisory or clerical, junior managerial, administrative or professional

C2 skilled working class skilled manual workers

D working class semi and unskilled manual workers

E those at lowest level of subsistence state pensioners or widows (no other earner), casual or lowest grade workers

According to the opinions of some on here you seem to have left a classification off the list...

F Speedway fans. :rofl:

Edited by manchesterpaul
  • Like 1

Well it's a dead sport, it deserves to be wiped off the face of the planet... Some day we will be all as cool as you and have our rocking chair in the attic ......

What's an attic?