British Speedway Forum

I would prefer less fewer riders and more races, six man teams and eighteen heats.

Yessssssssss....

This has been mentioned sporadically (including by me). Can't understand why it never gets any response.

I'm sure 18-heat matches were run in the late 1980s / early nineties, but with 8-man teams. Smaller teams would alleviate the apparent rider shortage, more racing would improve the spectator experience. Is there some great technical obstacle (or vested interest / hidden agenda) that I don;t understand?

I suppose it depends on the immigration dept. Can't see an immigrant being allowed to stay in this country not contributing through taxes and being eligible for free schooling and healthcare etc for extended periods of time - but there may be exemptions for sports people??

Not to sure but crump lived in Northampton and Milton Keynes whilst not riding over here. Then again he wa born over here so he could be different I suppose

Thought Nicki Pedersen lived in Stevenage whilst not riding here.

Thought Nicki Pedersen lived in Stevenage whilst not riding here.

Nicki is Danish, he can live anywhere he wants in the EU..

Not to sure but crump lived in Northampton and Milton Keynes whilst not riding over here. Then again he wa born over here so he could be different I suppose

I would not be surprised if Jason Crump has duel nationality.

Edited by A ORLOV

Yessssssssss....

This has been mentioned sporadically (including by me). Can't understand why it never gets any response.

I'm sure 18-heat matches were run in the late 1980s / early nineties, but with 8-man teams. Smaller teams would alleviate the apparent rider shortage, more racing would improve the spectator experience. Is there some great technical obstacle (or vested interest / hidden agenda) that I don;t understand?

Saw 6 man teams in the 90's and it was a poor show. Once teams started using R/R we were down to 5 man teams. Add in a non scoring rider who was replaced after 3 heats and you are down to four and it became boring seeing the same riders again and again as well as having more '3 riders only races'

• Like 1

Saw 6 man teams in the 90's and it was a poor show. Once teams started using R/R we were down to 5 man teams. Add in a non scoring rider who was replaced after 3 heats and you are down to four and it became boring seeing the same riders again and again as well as having more '3 riders only races'

So, ban RR! Anyway, I don't see why seeing the same riders again & again is boring (within reason, obviously, and I think 5 or 6 riders per team is reasonable). An in-form reserve taking 7 rides and matching the opposing heat leaders can really liven up a match. A race is a race, and it might be boring or interesting depending mainly on the quality of track prep and the commitment of the riders. Oh, and equality of equipment also helps - it IS boring to see a good rider outclassed because his bike is slow. How about some method of levelling (down) the bikes?. Tracks to provide say 10 bikes to be shared between the two teams and allocated by drawing lots?

Chris Holder doesn't agree .......

“Obviously I want to do Britain – I live here and it’s easy to do it. But it all weighs on the rules and what happens this weekend.

“I don’t want to leave Poole. But I have got to be realistic too. I can’t take anymore meetings on for less money than what we already earn here. We earn way less here than what we do abroad. If we take anymore of a pay cut, we might as well ride in the Premier League.”

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for a rich club like Poole to keep all its top GP riders & assets & leave British Speedway altogether & join one of the European Leagues ? I'm sure I remember a few seasons ago some sort of European cup was going to be contested with Poole entering . The Pirates could also enter a team in the National League to bring through their home grown riders .

So, EL teams have to have 2 Brit NL riders at 6 & 7 (but no stipulation for PL teams?!)!!! EL heat leaders against NL reserves in certain heats? Or is there to be a change in race format?

Any changes in EL admission charges for watching 2 NL riders??

• Like 1

I've done a rough guess of the graded NL riders

GRADE A

Charles Wright

Lewis blackbird

Ashley Morris

Steve boxhall

Stefan Nielsen

Paul starke

Robert lambert

Lewis Kerr

Adam Ellis