British Speedway Forum
skoobie

Workington 2014

Well now that our title challenge is effectively over for another season, I'd thought I say what a great first season it has been for the new promotion; people are excited about the comets again. To that end I think we should keep the mainstay of the team, and I would go with:

1 Richard Lawson 8.28

2 Mason Campton 4.69

3 Kyle Howarth 6.86

4 Rusty Harrison 6.63

5 Rene Bach 7.85

6 Chris Schramm 3.55

7 Wright/Compton/Morris 4.36

Total 42.22

I think Mason is a cert for next year, as long as the visa issue is sorted, that means I don't think Tero will be back which is a shame as he never let us down really and always seemed to pull off that Heat 14 win.

Kyle is capable of stepping up and averaging 8+ next year and loves riding for Workington so I'm sure he'll be back. So along with Lawson and Bach, 3 heat leaders who can be averaging 8+ is a strong base, especially in a league possibly without its 2 top riders from this year?

I'm sure Rusty will be there again, Rusty has been abit hot and cold this season but riding at number 4 he will average around 7 and provide able back up.

I'd be surprised if our top five is dissimilar to that, it's the reserves which could be the key.

Chris schramm at 6 for me, he likes riding derwent park and I think he is a steal on that average. I believe he lives in the south, but he's riding been riding for Newcastle and I don't think that will be a big deal for him.

Number 7 is the question mark, would have been good to have Campton at 7 but I think is average is too high to balance the team. Options? Ashley Morris might be back, but there are 2 better options for the higher averaged reserve. Charles Wright has had a great season in the NL, and has backed it up by doing very well for Somerset. And then there is Andre Compton, which would be a big gamble, could be an asset at reserve, I know he's very friendly with Rich Lawson so could well be a possibility, I reckon he could put in some big scores at home, but who knows about away form? I think they are the few realistic choices for reserve.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Well now that our title challenge is effectively over for another season, I'd thought I say what a great first season it has been for the new promotion; people are excited about the comets again. To that end I think we should keep the mainstay of the team, and I would go with:

1 Richard Lawson 8.28

2 Mason Campton 4.69

3 Kyle Howarth 6.86

4 Rusty Harrison 6.63

5 Rene Bach 7.85

6 Chris Schramm 3.55

7 Wright/Compton/Morris 4.36

Total 42.22

I think Mason is a cert for next year, as long as the visa issue is sorted, that means I don't think Tero will be back which is a shame as he never let us down really and always seemed to pull off that Heat 14 win.

Kyle is capable of stepping up and averaging 8+ next year and loves riding for Workington so I'm sure he'll be back. So along with Lawson and Bach, 3 heat leaders who can be averaging 8+ is a strong base, especially in a league possibly without its 2 top riders from this year?

I'm sure Rusty will be there again, Rusty has been abit hot and cold this season but riding at number 4 he will average around 7 and provide able back up.

I'd be surprised if our top five is dissimilar to that, it's the reserves which could be the key.

Chris schramm at 6 for me, he likes riding derwent park and I think he is a steal on that average. I believe he lives in the south, but he's riding been riding for Newcastle and I don't think that will be a big deal for him.

Number 7 is the question mark, would have been good to have Campton at 7 but I think is average is too high to balance the team. Options? Ashley Morris might be back, but there are 2 better options for the higher averaged reserve. Charles Wright has had a great season in the NL, and has backed it up by doing very well for Somerset. And then there is Andre Compton, which would be a big gamble, could be an asset at reserve, I know he's very friendly with Rich Lawson so could well be a possibility, I reckon he could put in some big scores at home, but who knows about away form? I think they are the few realistic choices for reserve.

Any thoughts?

I agree with a lot of what you say, I fear Tero may be the one to miss out which would be such a shame, he is a great lad and such a trier. I would have Rusty back if he could get some consistency, he gets so down if he has a bad meeting and I know it's because he cares so much but it can have a bad effect on the team. I agree the reserves is where it's hard to predict, I think Ashley will be back though, probably at 7 and with Schramm performing so well when guesting he is a steal.

Anyway let's give our 2013 Comets a good send off tonight in the Cumberland Open, although I'm sure Cookie will win it lol

After last nights interviews on the centre green it really didn't sound like Richard wanted to come back, maybe a parting of the ways is best for all concerned. On the other hand Rene, Ash and particularly Kyle were really keen, Kyle would be the first name on my sheet, the lad is a future star.

Just wanted to mention Chris too, he acknowledged he had had a shocking season but he gave it his all and I think the whole crowd appreciated that on his final lap, all the best Chris and many thanks

• Like 1

After last nights interviews on the centre green it really didn't sound like Richard wanted to come back, maybe a parting of the ways is best for all concerned. On the other hand Rene, Ash and particularly Kyle were really keen, Kyle would be the first name on my sheet, the lad is a future star.

Just wanted to mention Chris too, he acknowledged he had had a shocking season but he gave it his all and I think the whole crowd appreciated that on his final lap, all the best Chris and many thanks

pritty much what i got from the interviews too

ive heard a rumor or 2 but far too early to say if theres any truth in them yet

This time last year Rich said he didn't want to ride for anyone else but Workngton but things can change, interesting time ahead. Think Rene and Kyle will be back and if Kenny Ingalls says he's fit they'll be a tricky decision to make

You do like your Kenny Ingalls theory there comet49, will be interesting to see what direction the promotion take with him if at all as he will have been out for two seasons by start time, bound to have an attractive average by now tho and if the old Ingalls is still there well!!!

For my money I'm still on the Ricky Wells train, he wasn't here Saturday for nothing, shop window, definitely!! ;)

Unfortunately only a full season counts, think its a 8 per cent deduction. He may not be fit but was hoping to be. Would be a risk.

Didn't hear much of the first interviews, so missed what Richard had said. Maybe a change for both parties will do Richard the world of good, if he wants to stay at Worky then fair enough I would have him back , if not I wish him well wherever he ends up at. The top two on my list for 2014 would be Kyle and Rene :approve: . With it being Rustys testimonial next season would be fitting for him to be in Comets colours again, definately makes a decent second string as he as shown in the latter of the season at 2 and 4. All depends on the annual meeting and what points limits are decided. Going down to 38.50 as some have said could see alot of big hitter no'1's moving up to EL. Would much prefer a more even 1-7 as Birmingham have showed this season, they have had 4 riders in the no 1 bib , but a strong side right through .

Heres to Workington Comets 2014 , whatever team we end up will get my full support ! :cheers:

Have the club had a good season crowd wise under the new management,they have had a successful season on the track?

I can't see Kenny riding in this country again which would be a shame, he was a good racer. I think Rene and Kyle are certs for the team but would you go for strength in depth and have Ash and Mason at reserve or a bit more top heavy with a 3 pointer in and Mason in the main body?

Have the club had a good season crowd wise under the new management,they have had a successful season on the track?

Crowds have definitely been up on the last couple of years - new promotion, cheaper entrance and free excellent quality race card will have all contributed to that I would imagine

• Like 1

Richard Lawson would be the first name on my team sheet for 2014 but its all up in the air until the League structure and points limit has been sorted out..........no doubt after the conference the usual lines will be trotted out...."we look forward to the new season with optmism and fresh hope for the future".....new helmet colour and a different points limit. :neutral:

• Like 1

I can't see Kenny riding in this country again which would be a shame, he was a good racer. I think Rene and Kyle are certs for the team but would you go for strength in depth and have Ash and Mason at reserve or a bit more top heavy with a 3 pointer in and Mason in the main body?

Crowds have definitely been up on the last couple of years - new promotion, cheaper entrance and free excellent quality race card will have all contributed to that I would imagine

Good to hear,I always enjoy my visits .

A rider who hasn't been mentioned is Micky Dyer who rode well for us early season, his average though has risen to 7.58 but would probably rise again. Ricky Wells (7.81) would a good signing too as he scores well away from home. Depends on this 'n' that though don't it.

Edited by comet49

A rider who hasn't been mentioned is Micky Dyer who rode well for us early season, his average though has risen to 7.58 but would probably rise again. Ricky Wells (7.81) would a good signing too as he scores well away from home. Depends on this 'n' that though don't it.

Has Dyer fallen out with Redcar,everybody else seems to mention him barring Redcar.