British Speedway Forum

NICOLAI Klindt is likely to return to the Eddie Wright Raceway this month to cover for the injured Anders Mellgren.

Mellgren, who is recovering in Sweden from a fractured back, is likely to be out for a few more weeks so Scunthorpe Scorpions promoter Rob

Godfrey has moved to sign Klindt on a 28 day contract to cover for the injured Swede.

Godfrey was due to speak to Klindt today but was confident the deal would be completed.

Klindt joined the Scorpions in July last year to cover for Ashley Birks and if he arrives it will see a shuffle in riding order for Scunthorpe's home match with Edinburgh on Easter Monday.

Klindt would come in on an average of 6.98 and would be likely to be at number three with Josh Auty moving to number one, Ryan Douglas coming in at number five and Thomas Jorgensen dropping down to reserve.

Godfrey had originally wanted to sign Adam Roynon, who has recently been released from Sheffield, but when that was not an option he turned to Klindt.

Godfrey said: "I thought Adam would have jumped at the chance for another ride but it wasn't to be but I am 99 per cent certain Nicolai will join us.

"If you look at the scores from rider replacement at number one it is around seven or eight and we know Nicolai can get us those points.

"There is no question he can turn our season around. He is maybe not the best passer but he can make lightning starts."

Godfrey felt a signing had to made with nine meetings coming up in May, which will include six away, in what is sure to be a pivotal month.

He hopes signing Klindt on a 28 day deal will give Mellgren the necessary time to recover from his injuries with news on his injury continuing to be positive.

Godfrey said: "It is quite unbelievable that Anders is in this position because we thought he was going to be out for the season.

"We have got a lot of meetings in May so we are trying to do something now.

"We are staying positive and having Nicolai for 28 days is the perfect scenario for us as it will give Anders time to recover.

"However, we don't want to rush Anders. We want to make sure he is 100 per cent ready before returning but his determination is unbelievable."

If Klindt signs it will not be in time for tomorrow's match with Edinburgh so Theo Pijper has been booked as a guest to cover for Mellgren at number one while Workington's Mason Campton will fill in at reserve in place of Jorgensen who is competing in the Danish Championship.

Godfrey believes the team is not far away from hitting top form with each rider, with the exception of Matt Williamson, top scoring in at least one meeting so far.

He feels there will be one meeting not too far away where all his riders will hit top form at the same time but insists all the riders will have to be at the top of their game to overcome an Edinburgh side who are unbeaten home and away.

"Edinburgh is going to be a massively tough meeting as they are the form team at the moment. It will be our toughest meeting of the season so far this season," Godfrey said.

"They are at full strength while we are not and they

will be full on confidence so for me they are the team to beat.

"We are not far away from where I want to be and we are just lacking that consistency especially in the number one position. Rider replacement has been doing us a job at home but the guests have not performed away.

"Five points from three matches is not a bad record so we have to keep it going but I think one team soon is going to be unlucky.

"All our riders have top scored individually but they haven’t done it at the same time. When they do that one team will get a hammering."

I rated Klindt last time; though he does have the knack of jumping out the start and winning by miles or missing out and trailing in last. Either way he will be good for his average that's for sure and add some stability to the ranks. Always seems to have good equipment and already knows the ropes at the EWR so its a great move for us in my view.

Thing is that the reshuffle on the new averages;and the arrival of Klindt maintains our strength. We still have a powerful rider at reserve in Thomas and that was always the deal with the way the team was set up.

Robs 100% right to make a switch now; May is an important month. I was surprised that Adam Roynon lost his ride with Tigers and not surprised that we were interested in him. Not sure what's happening with Adam as his twitter page seems to indicate selling his gear or is that just his Tigers race suit?.

Looks likely to be either Klindt or Roynon. I'd take Klindt.

From Rob's quotes it looked like Adam was first choice. Will he end up at Rye House ? I think it's the natural fit.

Pretty pleased to get Klindt. At PL level he'll win a lot of races but is always liable to throw in a zero at least once a meeting. If he gets 3303 each outing he's doing a good job.

Decision time for scunny, with Mellgren scoring a max in a Swedish division 1 match, although it was a against Swedish youngsters it shows he is fit to ride. With no word on whether Klindt will be extending his 28 day contract it could be a straight swop, but I hope not Klindt would be a massive loss. Scunny could also bring Mellgren in for either Auty or Birks but I doubt this would happen. To me Scunny look a good team but not league winners I think we need a bit more firepower away from home.

One match does not prove he is fit or "race fit". I have, also, heard he is asking for different terms & conditions from when he first signed.

An option to sign Mellgren would mean one would have to go. Although still not race fit in his head, possibly, due to incidents in the Scorps v Newcastle meeting(just my opinion), Birks could be the change but it would be tight when the new averages come out.

The new look would then be Mellgren, Klindt, Auty, Douglas, Howe, Jorgensen, Williamson. A very potent team.

Edited by IronScorpion

Birks is more of a team player, David Howe looked well miffed with his whole team and management all night at Sheffield on Thursday. I would leave Birks in and let Howe go myself, if averages fit .

Edited by scunny1

One match does not prove he is fit or "race fit". I have, also, heard he is asking for different terms & conditions from when he first signed.

Nice to see you still come out with some cr a p!!

Nice to see you still come out with some cr a p!!

Please enlighten me on which bit is cr a p? It is just talk, whispers or what we see!

Is it, also, cr a p that after seeing Josh & David square up with "handbags", which led to them being split up & later Ash & Jorgy. We have seen them race each other through out this season because of the non payment of bonus points that most teams are adhering to but, & I have posted this before, it would do nothing for team spirit.

Just an opinion!

Please enlighten me on which bit is cr a p? It is just talk, whispers or what we see!

I

as always---its all cr a p!

Decision time for scunny, with Mellgren scoring a max in a Swedish division 1 match, although it was a against Swedish youngsters it shows he is fit to ride. With no word on whether Klindt will be extending his 28 day contract it could be a straight swop, but I hope not Klindt would be a massive loss. Scunny could also bring Mellgren in for either Auty or Birks but I doubt this would happen. To me Scunny look a good team but not league winners I think we need a bit more firepower away from home.

I would not get rid of anyone to keep Klindt, he is decent but he is one of the most frustrating riders i have seen in the last 5 years.If Mellgren comes back to a decent level, i am sure Auty, Birks,Jorgensen will improve i would stick to that line up.

I would not get rid of anyone to keep Klindt, he is decent but he is one of the most frustrating riders i have seen in the last 5 years.If Mellgren comes back to a decent level, i am sure Auty, Birks,Jorgensen will improve i would stick to that line up.

Get rid of Klindt? just cannot see Rob taking that option; with Nicolai the 'form jockey' right now. But with Mellgren showing he could be fit, it is a real conundum for the management this. Can Anders come in and not be restrained by his injury?, Ash had a similar injury and although at times it does not look like it; there are times where he might have to reign himself in to keep safe. He is though doing great and it would be a tough call to sideline the captain.

At Sheffield last week he rode his preverbial 'nuts off' for 3pts and generally is where he might expect to be given the serious injury he had. So to have Anders back having to ride 'within himself' as well might not be the best decision. Especially if Klindt makes way, effectively weakening us. That said Rob indicated from the off that if Nicolai got a EL ride again (now with Leicester) he would not stand in his way. But I am sure Nicolai will want to continue to double up - who doesn't these days.

So squeezing Anders back in is no easy deal. Tommy might have made way; but after that blistering show at Sheffield last week I would be shocked. That's the sort of reserve everyone wants to have; and gives us a strong 1-6 which is how we set up. Ryan's non-negotiable; Matt is flame proof on a 3pt average. Which then leaves Josh and David.

Seems impossible to think either would be stood down (I am sure they've moved on over any differences). Rob has only just secured Josh on a full Scorps deal!; fair enough his form has not been that of 2013 but he's still a PL No1 for goodness sake. For the life of me I cannot see Rob; parting ways with David; he's actually having a good season with some solid scoring, and has the ability (as with his full home max recently, of posting double figures home and away).

You know what; I am finding it hard to make case for changing it; we can definitely make the Play-offs with our current 1-7 and then it could be 2012 replayed. For sure the management have a headache over Mellgrens return (a nice one really) and which ever way the dice rolls we know 8 into 7 don't go. Rather them than me. Whatever we keep backing the team.